Storage Solutions Western Digital 1TB hard disk not working properly

Detox101

Disciple
Jun 8, 2012
My WD Elements 1 TB external hard disk is not working properly. Working very slowly. Unable to format or chkdsk.. not able to delete files or even copy files... I keep getting a delayed write failed message over and over again... Please help.. @ALPHA17 @Jakob and others...

Last edited by a moderator:

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
@Detox101 this is what I could find on topic --> You receive an error message when you save or move documents in Windows XP: "Delayed Write Failed" -- What MS Support has to share on the same.

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAgent-Products/quot-Delayed-Write-Failure-quot-FIX/m-p/3084 -- Guy with a Seagate GoFlex drive encountering the same problem.

Will keep adding more information, possible solutions as I encounter them, Cheers!

In the meanwhile check if the drive works with Linux / any other alternate OS.

Detox101

Disciple
Jun 8, 2012
I checked the disk in my Asus Media player... was working with it this morning.. however now its not.. I can also hear a slight creaking sound from the disk... which was not there earlier...

@Detox101 this is what I could find on topic --> You receive an error message when you save or move documents in Windows XP: "Delayed Write Failed" -- What MS Support has to share on the same.

"Delayed Write Failure" FIX! - Seagate Community Forums -- Guy with a Seagate GoFlex drive encountering the same problem.

Will keep adding more information, possible solutions as I encounter them, Cheers!

In the meanwhile check if the drive works with Linux / any other alternate OS.

Detox101

Disciple
Jun 8, 2012
No... I am very careful with my stuff... I always pack it away neatly when m done with it... All I want to check is could it be a software/malware/virus issue... if not then the HD is only 5 months old and under a 3 year warranty... Would be great if you @ALPHA17 could confirm it... Else I will get it replaced...

Does not sound good. Did you drop OR move the hard-drive violently while it was attached to the Media Player?

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
No... I am very careful with my stuff... I always pack it away neatly when m done with it... All I want to check is could it be a software/malware/virus issue... if not then the HD is only 5 months old and under a 3 year warranty... Would be great if you @ALPHA17 could confirm it... Else I will get it replaced...

That is why try to use it with an Open OS from a Live disc. Save what you can from it and then format it properly and have it replaced.

You know you are mentioning and quoting me as if multiple people are interacting on this thread.

Detox101

Disciple
Jun 8, 2012
I just downloaded a quick format tool from WD website.. It performed a format in 3-4 minutes.. while the format was going on my antivirus got hold of multiple infections... I had my laptop backup and a few movies/games on the disk.. they are lost for good though,,, but I could only format after I did what one of the links from @ALPHA17 suggested... made some changes to my cache size in my registry.... So thanks folks... And I don't have linux installed... TE rocks!!!

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
I just downloaded a quick format tool from WD website.. It performed a format in 3-4 minutes.. while the format was going on my antivirus got hold of multiple infections... I had my laptop backup and a few movies/games on the disk.. they are lost for good though,,, but I could only format after I did what one of the links from ALPHA17 suggested... made some changes to my cache size in my registry.... So thanks folks... And I don't have linux installed... TE rocks!!!
Drive creaking + delayed write = dying drive. Fire up a SMART reporting tool (CrystalDiskInfo) and check your drive status.

On a side note, drives are locked during formats so there's no way the antivirus was detecting any infections on the external drive, its probably on your local drive.

Detox101

Disciple
Jun 8, 2012
Point taken... let me check..

Drive creaking + delayed write = dying drive. Fire up a SMART reporting tool (CrystalDiskInfo) and check your drive status.

On a side note, drives are locked during formats so there's no way the antivirus was detecting any infections on the external drive, its probably on your local drive.

Detox101

Disciple
Jun 8, 2012
@Crazy_Eddy

Drive functioning 100%
Drive health 91%

Does this form ground for invoking warranty?

Detox101

Disciple
Jun 8, 2012
@Crazy_Eddy

PFA 2 snapshots.. one with Crystal Disk Info and one with HD sentinel... Please let me know if I can exchange it under warranty...

HDD_status.jpg

HDD_status1.jpg

A screenshot of the parameters would be more helpful.

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
Do a full format (will take hours; keep an eye on the temperature, make sure it doesn't get too hot i.e. above 45~50C). There are 15 sectors waiting to be remapped, which will happen during a full format or when you attempt to write data to those sectors. 15 bad sectors shouldn't be a problem since drives have spare sectors, but keep an eye on the the stats and note if there are more sectors being marked as weak/bad over the next few weeks when you copy data to it, since that indicates the drive is deteriorating.

BTW your main 160GB Seagate definitely needs to be replaced.

Detox101

Disciple
Jun 8, 2012
@Crazy_Eddy

Alright... the full format you are referring to here is the one other than the quick format on the contextual menu right?? Or do I need to do it from the command prompt... the other 160 GB HDD is on my 5 year old laptop... I have duly backed up my important files... so once it crashes... I plan on getting a new laptop :p

Do a full format (will take hours; keep an eye on the temperature, make sure it doesn't get too hot i.e. above 45~50C). There are 15 sectors waiting to be remapped, which will happen during a full format or when you attempt to write data to those sectors. 15 bad sectors shouldn't be a problem since drives have spare sectors, but keep an eye on the the stats and note if there are more sectors being marked as weak/bad over the next few weeks when you copy data to it, since that indicates the drive is deteriorating.

BTW your main 160GB Seagate definitely needs to be replaced.

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
Yeah you need to deselect the Quick format option. Even command prompt is fine if you're more comfortable with it.