Weird thing I noticed last week at my home

Not sure I get what's so scary. All 3 clocks were off by the same amount of time. That's a hint. It seems the reference used to set their time initially was off by that much. Or possibly one was used to set the others. It isn't that surprising that your dad only noticed it after you corrected one of them either.

Try to shoot your head, maybe your persona might appear /s obvious persona reference.
On another note, sometimes the time mentioned on phones / computers can change if the timezone server hasn’t been pinged, it happened a couple times to me, where the computer would be 15-10 minutes behind / forward, and when I ping the time zone server in settings, it would get corrected. That’s my guess. Or some weird cosmic ray passed through your home and screwed up the mechanics, it’s possible if all the clocks are digital.

Try to shoot your head, maybe your persona might appear /s obvious persona reference.
On another note, sometimes the time mentioned on phones / computers can change if the timezone server hasn’t been pinged, it happened a couple times to me, where the computer would be 15-10 minutes behind / forward, and when I ping the time zone server in settings, it would get corrected. That’s my guess. Or some weird cosmic ray passed through your home and screwed up the mechanics, it’s possible if all the clocks are digital.
The probability of three different cosmic rays flipping three different digital clocks is so astronomically low that ghosts would be a better explanation. And if going in that direction, some sort of firmware error in the clock's chip is much more probable than either.

From his comment, it is 1 digital clock which worked fine and 3 analog clocks.
If it was solar storm or radiation, digital clock should've shown issues.

Analog clocks showing issue can be temperature change.
Another possibility is an earth quake or similar anomaly around his area. Don't think solar storm can hinder analog clock since in that case he might have noticed many other issues.
Wondering whether all analog clocks were of same make.

Last edited:
This usually happens when the weather changes. The analog gears with the lubricants speed up / slow down. I have 6 wall clocks. All exhibit this behavior. Except one Titan sweep. They run 5-6 minutes fast in summers and slow gown in winters. Older ones just die out, since moving parts are now plastic.

Img.png

Oh, I've seen 2 different clock repairmen advise against using duracell, and recommending regular cheap Eveready type of batteries. Both of the times, I was waiting to get my own watch/clock repaired, and another customer asked about batteries.

Nobody asked the reason, and I'm miserly so I anyway use cheap batteries.

Oh, I've seen 2 different clock repairmen advise against using duracell, and recommending regular cheap Eveready type of batteries. Both of the times, I was waiting to get my own watch/clock repaired, and another customer asked about batteries.

Nobody asked the reason, and I'm miserly so I anyway use cheap batteries.
Duracells probably have slightly higher voltages when fully charged than the cheap ones. Maybe that is enough for them to be out of spec for the clocks? Although that would have to be some poorly made clocks.

On another note, sometimes the time mentioned on phones / computers can change if the timezone server hasn’t been pinged, it happened a couple times to me, where the computer would be 15-10 minutes behind / forward, and when I ping the time zone server in settings, it would get corrected.
The CMOS battery also powers a Real Time Clock on your mobo, so it should be accurate even without syncing online. Being off by that margin indicates the battery voltage is too low for the clock to function properly

Another behavior is, this happened only with analog clocks. I have a digital clock in my bedroom, didn't face this issue. Again, more weird.
From his comment, it is 1 digital clock which worked fine and 3 analog clocks.
If it was solar storm or radiation, digital clock should've shown issues.
The clock face might be analog, but the mechanism driving it is digital since it's battery powered, in which case it would most likely use a Quartz crystal for time keeping

Pure analog clocks are mechanical ones that you need to wind everyday. These are inherently inaccurate compared to quartz clocks and even more sensitive to temperature changes

Another possibility is an earth quake or similar anomaly around his area.
That would have affected clocks in a larger region, and people would have noticed the earth quake itself

Back