Storage Solutions WD 5TB Passport Warranty Question

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
So here is what happened...

1. I bought a brand new WD 5TB password USB external drive in Jul 2021. I had then registered the drive on WD website and even submitted proof of purchase. I got warranty until Aug 2024 or so. I don't remember but since it is 3 years, I guess that was the date.
  2. In May 2022, the HDD went bad so I raised RMA request. WD sent me brand new sealed pack same HDD and it showed warranty as Jul 2025.
  3. Now again in Jul 2023, the HDD went bad so I again raised RMA request. Today they sent me brand new HDD again. I checked the status of Warranty, without registration and it showed Jul 2025 (2 years) but when it asked my purchase date, I selected 04th sept 2023 and it now shows warranty as Oct 2026. I did not upload any proof of purchase as I don't have it as this being replacement drive.

Now which will be the real warranty date? Jul 2025 (2 years) or Oct 2026 (3 years)? I ask this as I do not intend to open this sealed pack drive and just sell it.

PS: I was using the HDD as Jellyfin media storage and consumption which I feel is killing it.

Last edited:

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Hdd failure repeatedly? Whats wrong with wd hdds

I feel it is my way of using. I have another passport which is rarely used and still work fine. I was using this connected to RPi4 to stream content using Jellyfin. I feel combination of heat and probably constant running of the HDD caused the failure.