Linux Want to Shieft to Linux (Help Needed)

Hi ,

My friend is running a small cyber cafe consisting of 8 machines.

He has 3 genuine Microsoft xp licenses with him.

Therefore for rest 5 machines we are planning to install linux.

Our concerns are as follows.

1)It should be user friendly.

2)It should able to read and print office document (for printing purpose).

I heard that open office does the task but is it capable of reading office 2007 format(docx,xlsx,pptx).

3)It should able to support plug and play for devices like our 5 year old HP printer,pen drives and other plug and play usb devices.

4)There should not be a driver detection problem.

5)Windows like look and feel are added advantage.

6)Is it possible to install counter strike game on it?If not then r they capable of running good quality games on it?

7)will it run smoothly on our p3 machines.Minimum system requirements.

8)It should able to read pdf formats.

I heard there are lot of people helping other to break Microsoft's monopoly . We also wants to be a part of this growing family.

linux is real iffy ....particularly when forcing them on your customers..some may like...many surely will not .mainly due to unfamiliarity.you can go for ubuntu or fedora.personally i like fedora.

pinga123 said:
Hi ,

My friend is running a small cyber cafe consisting of 8 machines.

He has 3 genuine Microsoft xp licenses with him.
Therefore for rest 5 machines we are planning to install linux.

Our concerns are as follows.
1)It should be user friendly.
2)It should able to read and print office document (for printing purpose).
I heard that open office does the task but is it capable of reading office 2007 format(docx,xlsx,pptx).
3)It should able to support plug and play for devices like our 5 year old HP printer,pen drives and other plug and play usb devices.
4)There should not be a driver detection problem.
5)Windows like look and feel are added advantage.
6)Is it possible to install counter strike game on it?If not then r they capable of running good quality games on it?
7)will it run smoothly on our p3 machines.Minimum system requirements.
8)It should able to read pdf formats.

I heard there are lot of people helping other to break Microsoft's monopoly . We also wants to be a part of this growing family.

I'd say to go for Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

Yes Open Office reads MS Office formats. But not sure about the new ones(.docx etc)

Using USB drives should not be a problem at all. But for installing printer you may need some help and support.

Yes you can install CS in Linux too using Wine(Wine is a app which helps us to run Windows apps on Linux). Though the linux version of CS is UrT. I'm sure if peoples like CS they will also like UrT.

Ya p3 should be fine. But before installing a distro read it's minimum system requirements. If they doesn't meet install the previous versions.

PDF files is no problem. A default PDF viewer comes with both Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Though you can always install Adobe Reader.
But as said before....I'm not sure forcing people to use Linux would be good. Because in Cyber Cafe peoples do many things and they may not like Linux. For eg. if someone comes to type a biodata and print it, possibilities are he/she is comfortable with MS Office and may not like Open Office.

^^^^ The new OpenOffice on Ubuntu supports docx, xlsx etc. There might be an issue with OpenOffice screwing up the formatting sometimes though. All the best, I would say go with Ubuntu or Mint

Can any body point me to latest version of mint and ubuntu.
I m thinking of just giving it a try in-spite of spending 15000 for new licences.
I will do the beta testing if thinks works fine i wont mind installing them on rest of the machines.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Can any body point me to latest version of mint and ubuntu.

I m thinking of just giving it a try in-spite of spending 15000 for new licences.

I will do the beta testing if thinks works fine i wont mind installing them on rest of the machines.

Ya though Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu but Mint comes with all the codecs and flash. Otherwise you need to install codecs manually for able to play video, audio etc. As the medias we generally use are based on proprietory codecs Ubuntu doesn't bundles them.

I found its very difficult to get minimum system requirement from mint official website.

Can any one put little focus on this?

I have put Linux Mint 9 Isadora to download list.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

How can i add Windows like look and feel into it?

Not to nitpick, but it's one of the first links that you encounter when you click on the latest release (Isadora). The Linux Mint Blog . Also, please remember that while it may seem like Windows; you might have to go through a lot of hoops to get stuff to look like/behave in a certain way. I'm not discouraging you in any way, but be assured that you will need to spend some time to get it to work the way you like it to.

The aforementioned Linux distributions are perfect but make sure that you have the drivers of the hardware as well as the peripheral devices.
I recommend Linux only if the OP has some experience, especially when it is being used for commercial purpose.

Back