Linux Want to learn about linux.

Nishu

Adept
I came to know about Linux OS long time ago but wasnt interested to opt it.
I know about its true power,reliability and its opensource .
I know how to install the os and tweak some setting :p but dont know how to work with terminal and all.:huh:
So i am very much interested and have spare time in which i do like to learn linux.
And i want to know about it from starting i mean from the scratch.
For example i dont want to learn what is 3+4=7 unless i know about 3,4,+ etc.:S
I think i made my point clear.:)

Awesome! One of the best things about learning Linux are the commands. Once you know how and when to use them, you will appreciate your change of taste. For starters, which flavour are you using right now? As a starter you can learn what a terminal is. What kinds of terminals there are and which "shell" you want to use.

You can get a brief idea of what this is before moving on to the commands. Work with the easy ones, like who, grep etc. All the commands used are stored in a in your OS. One way to access them is by using the "man" command. A man page, is the document that contains details of a command, with all their ensuing options and variables. Wikipedia-Man Page

Try finding out what OS you are running by a different command. Or how much space is left in your harddrive. Or which processes are running in your background etc. You know, the simple stuff we can see in the taskmanager or by viewing the properties tab in windows, all that can be done with couple of commands in Linux.

And all these commands run in the terminal. Once you get the feel of how to utilize the commands, learn a little more about the terminal. Check out the different shells and their properties. Compare and analyze. I'm sure you love it. You say you have time on your hands, have fun making the most out of it.

There are many forums which are linuxbased and many free e-books you can download to read up on anything you want. One of the best forums I've seen is LinuxForums.

If you are using a specific flavour of linux, like Ubuntu or Fedora, go their official forums.

Edit: We have an awesome post on TE itself. Check out this sticky link: http://www.techenclave.com/open-source-and-linux/all-linux-distros-links-online-guides-95240.html

@britboy

Thank you..

your post was helpful..:)

k i have started my linux mission:p and would post my progress and doubts here:eek:hyeah:...

Since you have the urge to learn, it should not be much of a problem, that is what one needs to learn linux. No matter how compelled you are to learn linux, unless and until you have the actual desire to learn, things won't go the right way.

If you are using Ubuntu now, I strongly recommend against it, because Ubuntu is not designed for learners, instead it is designed to be a substitute for windows. It inhibits the learning process, though one can still learn, but not as good as if one uses debian or fedora, the actual operating systems used in the industry (servers, etc).

One simple thing you should follow to learn linux commands- If you think of doing something in gui, just give a thought over if it might be possible on the cli, google it and try to do it if any such thing exists. If not continue with the gui.

Also check out tldp.org, it contains a nice set of documentation in this regard.

recently i messed with the partition in windows as a rootkit screwed my hdd...

I removed the rootkit but things got messy so i thought of 0 format of my hdd.

but even then in windows setup the partition want responding so i thought of formatting the whole disk .

so i installed ubuntu on my 80 gb HDD.

Now i cant resize it as i want to partition it for windows installation.

Even i cant do it by using gparted

2mxmv4l.png

Here is what the gparted shows

i even used the fdisk commmand but it didnt help so can anyone help me to partition my HDD in ubuntu

Here, gparted is trying to create partitions for linux installation. in your case, you will have to run "fdisk /dev/sda" in terminal.

n - for new partition

w - write partition table

q - for quit.

fdisk -l /dev/sda shows the existing partitions.

Check below code for sample. I was trying to create a 20Gig parition.

Code:
[root@AXIOM-CENTOS-44 ~]# fdisk /dev/sdce

Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel

Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,

until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous

content won't be recoverable.

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)

Command (m for help): [COLOR="#FF0000"]m[/COLOR]

Command action

a   toggle a bootable flag

b   edit bsd disklabel

c   toggle the dos compatibility flag

d   delete a partition

l   list known partition types

m   print this menu

n   add a new partition

o   create a new empty DOS partition table

p   print the partition table

q   quit without saving changes

s   create a new empty Sun disklabel

t   change a partition's system id

u   change display/entry units

v   verify the partition table

w   write table to disk and exit

x   extra functionality (experts only)

Command (m for help): [COLOR="#FF0000"]p[/COLOR]

Disk /dev/sdce: 2201 MB, 2201223168 bytes

68 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1019 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 4216 * 512 = 2158592 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System

Command (m for help): [COLOR="#FF0000"]n[/COLOR]

Command action

e   extended

p   primary partition (1-4)

[COLOR="#FF0000"]p[/COLOR]

Partition number (1-4): [COLOR="#FF0000"]1[/COLOR]

First cylinder (1-1019, default 1): [COLOR="#FF0000"]1[/COLOR]

Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (1-1019, default 1019): [COLOR="#FF0000"]20G[/COLOR]

Command (m for help): [COLOR="#FF0000"]q[/COLOR]

[root@AXIOM-CENTOS-44 ~]#

@boo

even before posting i used fdisk comand to create partitions but it didnt help

also did u c the pic posted by me

@Dominator thanks for the link i will read it ...

If you have ever thoght about making a career in Linux, start with a red hat certification course will help in giving you a jumpstart in understanding linux.

^^I highly condemn going through any certification course. Books are pathetic plus you don't get any solid info except for server side work.

A sheer waste of money IMHO.

^^^ TRUE for MOST, not for ALL | Depends whether ur are Genius where GENIUS as foretold = 1% Talent + 99% Perspiration ||| and from Perspiration, Summers are getting long yaar ... :p

Nishu,

If you want to learn Linux you have a lot of help online, and also in the real world.

You have to choose which way to go. I started my journey with online tutorials and then a standard RHCE course. Somethings I have experienced could be helpful for you too.

1) As you are currently learning on your own, do continue this path(forever) as it is the only one that will keep you up in the game.

2) A standard RHCE course would not hurt, mind you I'm not suggesting a certification but just the course since it will clear most of your doubts and give you better insights to go forward.

3) Once you have ample know how of Linux you can experiment with different flavours too.

Whatever you do, follow a plan. Random jumps to different OS components could mess up your perspective

hey guys iam back,didnt learn much linux but have few doubts .Plzz clear them....
1) Plzz suggest good repository that i can add to my sources.list
2)My mouse acts wierd sometimes in VMware linux guest even though i installed Vmware tools succesfully :D
3) How to get this GPP error cleared :

this is when i use apt-get update command:
W: GPG error: http://packages.linuxmint.com debian Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 3EE67F3D0FF405B2

and this when i use cmd to request key :
gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key 3EE67F3D0FF405B2
gpg: directory `/home/nishanth/.gnupg' created
gpg: new configuration file `/home/nishanth/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created
gpg: WARNING: options in `/home/nishanth/.gnupg/gpg.conf' are not yet active during this run
gpg: keyring `/home/nishanth/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/home/nishanth/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key 0FF405B2 from hkp server pgpkeys.mit.edu
gpg: keyserver timed out
gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver err

4)My screen resolution always gets set to 640X480 even though i set diferent one .
5)And i want to clean temporary mess in my debain 6.
P.S : i used google but still i have some doubts :(
TY in advance.

i found answer to my 3rd issue :)

just use following codes:

first use 1st command if succesful goto second command .

In this replace the Hexadecimal key with the one u got in your error.Mine is 3EE67F3D0FF405B2.

Code:
gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key  3EE67F3D0FF405B2

gpg -a --export 3EE67F3D0FF405B2 | sudo apt-key add -

And linux is fun plzz help me with other issues guys plzz .

plzz help me with above issues and usb drive isue .

this is what i get when i do #dmesg | tail
Code:
[   10.115564] acpiphp: Slot [261] registered
[   10.115708] acpiphp: Slot [262] registered
[   10.115856] acpiphp: Slot [263] registered
[   11.647161] vmmemctl: started kernel thread pid=1482
[   11.647198] VMware memory control driver initialized
[   12.148041] fuse init (API version 7.13)
[   19.328395] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
[ 1248.300812] FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!
[ 1248.315656] FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
[ 1248.315667] VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda2.

- - - Updated - - -

and i am using Vmware player to use debian as guest

Back