Want to buy a washing machine around 20k

msankadi

Adept
Nov 29, 2010
Hi

Please help me choose a washing machine for my parents.

Details:
1. Budget - Around 20K
2. Would like to avoid machines whose service parts need to be imported which would make the servicing very costly.

Assumptions:
1. After reading the threads found out that IFB has poor after sales service and the service vendors have actually conned people !!!
2. Front loading washing machines are more efficient and better for clothes

Questions:
1. Which company ? (I think LG/Whirlpool . Please feel free to suggest more)
2. Model?
3. What is the typical warranty periods on washing machines? How much does it cost to opt for extended warranty?

I am a complete n00b in washing machines so please point out anything which could be missing from my queries.

Need to buy the machine next week so would appreciate some quick advice.

Thanks
MnVn

MaRKiV

Adept
May 17, 2007
I am in the same boat as you are.

First, a short story of my own... I have had a Siemens 0A716 for the last 4 years and last week it stopped working, with a huge screeching sound. called the service guys turns out the drive shaft that connects the drum with the spinwheel has broken. Now the whole drum is to be replaced and it costs 7k.

Now I am in the hunt for a new one.

Short listed are -

1. Siemens WM07G060IN - 19.7K [Best price] Warranty: 2 years

Pros:

• German Motor
  • Electro Mechanical controls
  • Bigger drum size
  • Satisfactory Prior experience in terms of Wash quality
  • Decent A.S.S have responded to calls promptly in my city
  • Excellent build quality
  • Has a policy to support spares for 10 years after discontinuing the model

Cons:

• Costly Spares
  • Costly extended Warranty ~ Rs 3800/year

2. LG F8068LDP - 19.5K [Best price] Warranty: 2 years, Motor alone 10 years

Pros

• Direct Drive
  • Good A.S.S
  • Cheaper Extended warranty ~ Rs 780/year
  • satisfactory build quality

Cons

• Have heard PCB conks off frequently
  • Smaller drum
  • Normal wash cycle takes 1:30 hours vs 50mins for my siemens

3. Whirlpool Explore 855 LEW Warranty: 2 years

Not had much experience here - but saw the build quality is not as good as the imported models that were available previously. Also dont know about the A.S.S and wash quality.

I am more inclined towards Siemens again, Though LG looks good on paper. Going hunting today after all diwali offers have started.

Reactions: 1 person

pratikb

Skilled
Mar 2, 2011
I second siemens frontloading washing machine.

Its German so worth it.

I bought dishwasher and can't be any more happy.

I saw washing machine demo.

I am not exaggerating but I had to put my ear next to it so to hear it working.

I could see it working from glass door but no noise whatsoever.

Go for siemens only.

vijayshimla

Adept
Sep 4, 2006
I too am looking for a front loader in about the same budget., please post back what your hunt turns up- i shall be buying in Ist week November. BTW should not the machine be fabricated from Stainless Steel to prevent corrosion of mild steel sheet from which most Washing machines are fabricated ?

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
Bosch has entered the market ,so you might want to chech it ,but i doubt it will be priced around 20k.

You can also go with whirlpool the worlds largest home appliance maker.They have good build quality,when i bought my washing machine it had better build then the Siemens and i had a budget of around 30k and at that time i was actually hunting for Siemens but found the whirlpool better built,it was a direct import model.

Even now the Sport 1072 series is a imported models of european standards but are priced at around 30k.

msankadi

Adept
Nov 29, 2010
Thanks a lot Markiv for the detailed reply...

pratikb - I understand that Seimen might be the best, but as I mentioned and Markiv experienced, it is not worth it to get a machine which would cost a new machine to be repaired. I think a machine should definitely work for atleast 5 years and cant think of getting Siemens repaired for 7k :(

adder - Sorry man, I cant extend my budget upto 30k :(

- Any whirlpool machines in that budget? How is there ASS like? How much does it cost for extended warranty?

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
Yes there are other whirlpool models which are good like their explore range,the basic one 855 is also built quite good lacks a lcd/led display,they may not have the bling that you get in lg or samsung like lots of chrome /stickers etc .
But is simply has a better finish ,steel latches,better hinges,glass dome.
I haven't seen the newer explore range with lcds,but all whirlpool models had great fit and finish.

MaRKiV

Adept
May 17, 2007
OK, booked Bosch Classixx basic model, which is amazingly similar to siemens basic model, Bosch was 500 costlier than Siemens and service is taken care by the same BSH home appliance, which takes care of Siemens.

Lets see how it goes.

pratikb

Skilled
Mar 2, 2011
I hope its not same as siemens.as far as I know,both are imports by same company so most probably same policies will apply for repairs and services.

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
^Yup both are exactly the same... Also Bosch and seimens are the same company under the name "BSH Bosch und Siemens Hausgeräte GmbH".I too will be buying the bosch one... Anyhow 19.7K is an awesome price. The cheapest i could get was for 21K at chroma and another 1.2k for 2 yrs extended warranty. So totally 22.2k.

@msankadi

Where did you get it for 19.7k?

@OP

what did you decide finally?

-Nj

pratikb

Skilled
Mar 2, 2011
you buy Croma extended warranty.

You are happy that your gadget is covered.

Now two three yrs down the lane,your gadget breaks down.

You call Croma extended warranty helpdesk.

Your claim is registered and all and they ask you you have to submit the gadget in total opposite corner of city.

Engineer can't come home.

You yourself have to carry it.

This applies to metro cities.

What if you are not located in metro city.

How will you feel if you are to carry gadget to some different city and wait for 10-15 days to repair the gadget.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on Aircel

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
@pratikb
it's sad how they hassle the customers on fake/empty promises... Plus i've read that they don't provide manufacturers extended warranty, and they themselves would service it. That would suck...

pratikb

Skilled
Mar 2, 2011
Exactly NJ,

They dont provide manufacturer extended warranty and its their own warranty.

It sucks big time.

Now onwards no more Croma for me.

One time I was their big fan.

Not anymore.