Wanna buy a HTC Touch HD2, need advice...

kekerode

Adept
Jul 29, 2009
Well I have history of loosing mobiles withing 2-4 months :( ... so warranty is no big deal for me

I will pay my friend when he comes back to India ... and he has money for one phone only ... so no GO possible this time :(

Tech_enthu

Adept
Nov 7, 2008
Amazing choice of phone there, I would love to buy it and have planned it next year, it is 100% WinMo 7 upgradable and there are dozens of roms and heaps of software available for the platform, the snap dragon is really a dragon and rips through everything you throw at it, plus it is multi tasking. trust me it really helps.

Dhanan

Disciple
Dec 4, 2009
I had checked it out in the Docomo stores. Firstly it is not locked so any SIM will work. But they offer 500MB of data free for 6 months with a Docomo Sim. Cost is around 36K.

I played around with it and looks pretty responsive given its snapdragon, but the virtual keypad really sucks with fingers, which turned me off. Very hard to type without mistakes.
BTW HTC dragon will be released with same hardware but Android 2 OS, so wait if you can.
But just check the virtual keyboard before buying.

Satan

Adept
Apr 19, 2005
voidzero said:
Guys it's not about winmo vs. android here... it's about the phone as a whole.

Oh c'mon. It's totally about the merits or demerits of WinMo against other OS's. On a spec basis there is no other phone that compares to the HD2. You already know that and if that was the sole purpose of this thread you would have already had the phone by now :p. The whole point of this discussion is to determine if you would like WinMo or not compared to other OS's. I think you have more than a fair idea about it now.

Also, you might be interested to know that an Android port is available for the Topaz (Diamond) and Blackstone (Touch HD). An alpha version of the same is now available for the Rhodium. It's only a matter of time before someone figures out a way to flash these devices with a standalone copy of Android.
Dhanan said:
I played around with it and looks pretty responsive given its snapdragon, but the virtual keypad really sucks with fingers, which turned me off. Very hard to type without mistakes.
BTW HTC dragon will be released with same hardware but Android 2 OS, so wait if you can.
But just check the virtual keyboard before buying.

I'm surprised you didn't like the keyboard :huh:

I have a Rhodium (Touch Pro 2 with a resistive screen and a hardware keyboard) and I must say that I barely use the hardware keyboard because the on-screen keyboard is that damn good.

To be honest, I hate on screen keyboards. Among all of them I really liked the iPhone virtual keyboard the best but after using this, I definitely would rate this at least 10% better than the iPhone onscreen keyboard.

The keys are slightly larger on the Rhodium keyboard as compared to the iPhone possibly because the design is different and because the screen is also slightly larger that the iPhone.

Now imagine how the same keyboard would be on the HD2 with the most enormous screen ever to be used for a smartphone.

I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. If you like the Samsung Omnia keyboard (Swype), then you can get that on your HD2 as well. The are several other SIPs available for WinMo. You could also give those a try.

That's the beauty of WinMo... sky is the limit :D
CAUTION
A word of advice before you consider buying this phone. This is not a jean phone. The HD2 is all screen with very little plastic and metal backing. The screen is extremely fragile and even one drop can crack it. Sticking it in your jeans, given it's size, will almost certainly crack the screen if it gets aligned in your pocket the wrong way while you are sitting down. This phone CANNOT be used carelessly. I would not suggest it for bike riders unless they are really careful about it. So... WATCH OUT ;)

mjumrani

Skilled
Aug 18, 2008
New Delhi
kekerode said:
^ this may help

YouTube - HTC HD2 Drop Test

At last I made mind to get HTC HD2 from UK as I don't mind about warranty :) ... it will cost me 32k

So I'll utilize other money for scratch guard and some good leather case for it :D

thts wht my cousin did. its a gd phone. it is the same if not better than iphone 3gs. its definitely not a one hand phone n it will crack one day in your jeans if you keep putting it there

voidzero

Disciple
Oct 26, 2006
@kekerode: good for you, can you post links to the site you plan to buy it from in the UK? ie. if you plan to buy it online.

Satan

Adept
Apr 19, 2005
kekerode said:
^ this may help

YouTube - HTC HD2 Drop Test

At last I made mind to get HTC HD2 from UK as I don't mind about warranty :) ... it will cost me 32k

So I'll utilize other money for scratch guard and some good leather case for it :D

DAMN! That's crazy.

Remember... that is a wooden floor. Big diff compared to the stone / ceramic floorings we use here.

kekerode

Adept
Jul 29, 2009
mjumrani said:
thts wht my cousin did. its a gd phone. it is the same if not better than iphone 3gs. its definitely not a one hand phone n it will crack one day in your jeans if you keep putting it there

This phone will be used for whatching video :) as here in office mp3/ipod players not allowed ... so it will be a slap on faces of their stupid rules :mad:

I'll be keeping this phone in leather case specially I have ordered for it :D

I use Gigabyte i120 phone ... another WinMo as my main phone :) ... It's cheap but does all I want except big screen :(

voidzero said:
@kekerode: good for you, can you post links to the site you plan to buy it from in the UK? ie. if you plan to buy it online.

Not going online but you can see good deals in Ebay UK ... My friend will be buying from his friend who got it as unwanted upgrade from vodafone ... damn lucky :p

Satan said:
DAMN! That's crazy.

Remember... that is a wooden floor. Big diff compared to the stone / ceramic floorings we use here.

yeah ... that's crazy :) ... I have stone flooring at room :( ... or maybe I'll give it a try :tongue: