Wanna buy a HTC Touch HD2, need advice...

voidzero

Disciple
HTC

HTC's "Monster 4.3" Screen" Touch HD2 has finally been officially launched in India. Apparently will sell for around 40k in Maharashtra. What I want to understand is whether it's locked to DOCOMO, the description in the link i've shared above is kinda vague.

Do any of you guys know anything about this?

I saw one piece in this local mobile phone seller's shop. He is selling it for 34k. No it is not locked. But be very sure that you want to go in for it. It has the dreaded Windows Mobile 6.5 under the HTC Sense UI.

Although the Sixth Sense by HTC is worth drooling an doing anything to get for, I would be a bit skeptical about WinMo. Unless of course you are not averse to hacking/modding your mobile, and running the risk of voiding your warranty.

Looks wise it is a killer. But the screen is fragile. Various "drop tests" have broken/cracked the screen in almost all instances.

isn't a 4.3" too big to handle? Think of battery drain and problems with one handed operation and grip. A 3.5" should be more than enough for a good touch based smartphone.

for a budget near to 40k, iphone 3GS and Touch HD seem to be good enough for me.

@desiibond:

How have a very valid point here but i'm not worried about one handed operation at all as I have BIG hands. What attracts me towards this phone apart from the huge screen is the Qualcomm 1Ghz SnapDragon Processor and the only reason i'm not considering a 3GS is because I don't want to spend 35-40k on a product I won't get warranty on. What say?

@phoenix844884:

Very helpful comments mate. Honestly I have no experience with Windows Mobile devices or the OS at all. I just loved the specs of the phone and i'm in the market for a new phone. Wanted the 3GS but unfortunately it's not available officially and i'm not shelling out my hard earned dough for a piece from the grey market.

I also have a very important question to ask about the Windows OS on these devices. Can they be upgraded?

1) That processor and display drain the battery very fast. on average use, you will end up without battery juice by end of work day.
2) you get full warranty if you buy from Airtel/Vodafone but it will be carrier locked.
3) IMO, OS X mobile is more refined and easier to use than winmo 6.5

but do remember, I am referring to iphone 3GS and not iphone 3G.

desiibond said:
1) That processor and display drain the battery very fast. on average use, you will end up without battery juice by end of work day.
2) you get full warranty if you buy from Airtel/Vodafone but it will be carrier locked.
3) IMO, OS X mobile is more refined and easier to use than winmo 6.5

Like I said earlier I was only considering a 3GS, for the processor upgrade alone... and it's not available officially in India.

Guess i'll try and check out a demo of the phone before making the purchase to checkout the usability etc. myself.

IMO Suggesting the iPhone is a waste unless you are born with a platinum spoon in your mouth, since Apples keeps upgrading the iPhone almost every year.

I'd rather stick to a good phone like the HTC HD2 with proper warranty too which will last a good 2-3 years without the headache of seeing a "upgraded" version of the same device every passing year.

Well I am also planning to get HTC HD2 too :) ... because I love Windows Mobile OS for rich apps and custom apps made by me :yeah: ... also 4.3 inch screen is also one reason (easy for watching video) ... I would have go for it even it had resistive touch

and +1 to techno_funky ... I don't like all those upgrades (h/w and s/w) with iPhone and any wrong crack during unlocking may leave iPhone to just iPod Touch :p ... less chance though

@phoenix844884 : Can u give me name and address of the shop please? Would like to know whether it has warranty from HTC or not

Anybody with info about price and availabilty in Mumbai ?? :huh:

Contrary to what some may say about WinMo, it really is the best OS out there. Sure it might not be the prettiest, but it is THE most functional OS out there.

Hacking and Modding just makes it more fun. Unlimited options, Unlimited possibilities.

WinMo devices aren't fanboi material. If you love technology and you want to see a myriad of options and possibilities, then WinMo is certainly for you. WinMo 6.5 is a great OS and 6.5.x series is designed for Capacitive devices... Bigger buttons et all.

The fact that the HD2 comes with a capacitive screen makes this package the sweetest one yet. To top that HTC is also coming out with a stylus specifically for the HD2's capacitive screen.

Think about it, what other phone would allow you to flash a new rom every other day with a settings restoration system that makes it seem like you never flashed it in the first place.

To compare a Windows phone to an iPhone is like comparing a Victorinox to a Kitchen Knife.

The HD2 is selling in Bangalore for 36,990.00 at the TATA Docomo Store. They also have an interest free EMI scheme for HDFC Credit Card Holders.

Satan you are my new best friend! :) It seems that you have experience using a winmo phone, can you tell me if it's easy to upgrade the "OS"? Can you post links some sites that will shed some light on this?

Satan said:
Contrary to what some may say about WinMo, it really is the best OS out there. Sure it might not be the prettiest, but it is THE most functional OS out there.

Hacking and Modding just makes it more fun. Unlimited options, Unlimited possibilities.

WinMo devices aren't fanboi material. If you love technology and you want to see a myriad of options and possibilities, then WinMo is certainly for you. WinMo 6.5 is a great OS and 6.5.x series is designed for Capacitive devices... Bigger buttons et all.

The fact that the HD2 comes with a capacitive screen makes this package the sweetest one yet. To top that HTC is also coming out with a stylus specifically for the HD2's capacitive screen.

Think about it, what other phone would allow you to flash a new rom every other day with a settings restoration system that makes it seem like you never flashed it in the first place.

To compare a Windows phone to an iPhone is like comparing a Victorinox to a Kitchen Knife.

The HD2 is selling in Bangalore for 36,990.00 at the TATA Docomo Store. They also have an interest free EMI scheme for HDFC Credit Card Holders.

Android does that and trust me its a LOT better than WM .

@voidzero... everything you need is at XDA-Devs. AFAIK, Team Olinex still hasn't released HSPL for the HD2 which means you'll have to wait just a little longer before flashing to custom rom's. This is one purchase you will thoroughly enjoy :)

@udayrulz... I find that hard to believe. UC and Sashimi make it a breeze to do new rom flashes. It takes me less than 1 minute in total setup time after a new flash to go back to what I was doing before the flash. I am curious though, what system does Android use for Settings and System restoration?

Guys it's not about winmo vs. android here... it's about the phone as a whole.

The phones got killer specs. and a cracking price which along with the introduction of the HTC Sense UI overlay makes it a great phone for normal use and that's how I intend to use it.

I'd be very happy if they'd have Android running it, but unfortunately they haven't. That said I don't think I shouldn't buy it just because it's running on winmo.

What say?

heh.. ive been eying this phone since the time i saw the leaked pics.. ill be getting mine in jan.. .. i donno wts all the hate with winmo devices.. i mean yeah not having a stylus can be a bit problematic when ur deep in the os settings,, but besides that for average user its not a prob at all... besides it will be upgradable to win7 when it releases.. ull just have to connect ur phone with active sync.. click on exe file and ur done.. neway dude.. this one phone u wont regret buying.. :D

I don't think it's locked to DOCOMO, but they have a good "valid for 6 months" offer going on if you opt for a post-paid DOCOMO connection. I believe it can also be availed by people who are already on a post-paid DOCOMO plan.

BTW I just called up ALFA in Andheri, Bombay and they have it for around 39k with 1 year warranty.

One friend is coming from UK ... and he can get me this HTC HD2 unlocked new packed one for 33k .... how is that deal ??

Would I get warranty in India for that mobile ?? Please advice.

33k is a great price indeed. u wont get warranty though.
why dont u start a go for this. many would be interested i believe.

Back