VR Advice for Exercise

depakjan

Disciple
Hi All,

What are your thoughts on getting a VR headset for exercise, i keep forcing yourself and somehow do it everyday but i felt if VR can make me atleast not force myself to exercise, it will be worth a buy. In general i see many people buying the headset and using it only for twice or thrice , i know the novelty wears off but if its for exercising maybe it will see some use , isn't ?

Also thinking whether to get Oculus 2 or Pico 4 .

Last edited:
Black Mirror situation.

Why do you have to do workouts in a VR when the whole world is in front of you? I doubt if they come with proper sweat resistance as one sweats a lot in workout sessions. If you want to get one, get one for VR gaming and get into Meta to explore. Do not get it for things that you are 'supposed' to do outside. If you get bored of workouts, join Cult or something where the trainer mixes up workouts to keep it less boring and also they have live sessions that are lot better than VR. This is what I am doing.

Not going into philosophy of using VR for exercise, the current options like Oculus are ergonomic mess. It is uncomfortable to use them normally, exercise would be a different territory altogether with their weight. Earlier options like XBox Kinect were certainly better in terms of ergonomics and usability but they were ahead of the times, hence abandoned. I would highly recommend getting hold of any VR headset of choice and trying for good hour or so before deciding anything.

From what i saw Beat saber game can provide a good exercise option and there are other subscription options like supernatrual VR, felt like gaming + exercise is a win win, but i know what you guys are saying though, thats why i have been putting it off for like so many years.

Last edited:
Don't fall for the marketing. If facebook cared about people's health, they would shut themselves down.

Here is an idea. Buy a barbell, some bumper plates and rubber mats. Make a simple deadlift setup. Do one lift every time you pass it by.

Why would you want to be staring at a LCD screen (got only know what EM radiation it emits) while exercising.

Last edited:
If your focus is working out only, don't get VR, join a gym

If you like gaming, and want to burn some calories in the process, get VR

If working out is too boring and you want to have fun, play a sport. You'll burn way more calories without even realizing

Focus is not just working out, I enjoy gaming and I have not tried VR for a long time, I am well aware that the novelty wears off very soon, so I was debating whether it's worth spending that much. Now i am thinking whether the usage in exercise could make it a long term thing

I did buy Nintendo wii sports with the hardware for it, forgot the name. Didn't used much. It's more of a wishful thinking... more of a want than a need. But if you got the money, why not. Otherwise save it.

Ideally if you're not doing it consistently with whatever resources you got now. You're not going to do it with fancy items. I know you're thinking this might be just the turn around where you'll find that 1 thing that will help you achieve the fitness goals. Most likely it's not.
This is my viewpoint and the mistake I make all the time. Others already made some valid points. Try group activities or sports

Focus is not just working out, I enjoy gaming and I have not tried VR for a long time, I am well aware that the novelty wears off very soon, so I was debating whether it's worth spending that much. Now i am thinking whether the usage in exercise could make it a long term thing
You seem to clearly just want to purchase a VR headset for gaming but rather use "exercise" to justify buying lmao. Get it you want to play VR games and can afford it, otherwise don't.

Back