Budget 51-70k Video editing PC

Jules Goes

Disciple
  1. Looking to build a Video editing system for a friend . Will be adding a GPU later . confused between Intel i5-13600KF or AMD ryzen 7700

2. What is your budget?
    • 50K-70k
  3. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Nil
  4. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor
  5. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i5-13600KF
    • Motherboard - Asus Prime H770 Plus ( wanted to go for Proart but will go over budget) open to suggestions as will be used 10 plus hrs daily
    • Ram- 16 GB for now , 32 GB later
    • GPU - will add one later
    • PSU - Corsair ( suggestions please )
    • Samsung 980 Evo 500 GB M.2 ( OS drive )
      Crucial MX500 ( storage drive or footage loaded on this drive till editing is completed later shifted to external drive )
  6. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • GPU
    • Ram
  7. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Video editing (premiere pro, Adobe suit and resolve )
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Asus and Corsair
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • ---
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1920x1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes/No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 11 64 bit

Okay. I did purchase my laptop for video editing. specs-5600h, rtx3050,8gb ram but increased to 24gb.

Used resolve. Performance - Decent but it was not exactly a smooth experience specially for 4k and even few mins clip with transition and simple layers would take a bit of time.
4k was a challenge to add any layer.

Moved to macmini 16gb m1. it is amazing experience .

My advice if video editing is the reason. Just go for mac mini m2- 16gb. It is almost future proof and even above 4k will be not a challenge.

The i5 13500 is a solid choice for multicore productivity tasks for its price, check reviews.

If you are adding GPU later, i5 13600KF is out of the question as it lacks iGPU. R7 7700 & i5 13600K can be considered though for sure.

If you are fine with using 16GB RAM for some time, can consider R7 7700 based rig as well for better future upgradability:

R7 7700X costs similar as 7700 but you will have to use 105W Eco mode to not see it hitting 95C temps because of its boost behaviour. R7 7700 is better tuned for out of the box experience for novices.

1690012367288.png

1690012536597.png

Okay. I did purchase my laptop for video editing. specs-5600h, rtx3050,8gb ram but increased to 24gb.

Used resolve. Performance - Decent but it was not exactly a smooth experience specially for 4k and even few mins clip with transition and simple layers would take a bit of time.
4k was a challenge to add any layer.

Moved to macmini 16gb m1. it is amazing experience .

My advice if video editing is the reason. Just go for mac mini m2- 16gb. It is almost future proof and even above 4k will be not a challenge.
Mac was a suggestion , but he prefer windows.

i was suppose to go for a Mac last year , but due to lack of 3d software support and upgrading Ram was expensive
The i5 13500 is a solid choice for multicore productivity tasks for its price, check reviews.

If you are adding GPU later, i5 13600KF is out of the question as it lacks iGPU. R7 7700 & i5 13600K can be considered though for sure.

If you are fine with using 16GB RAM for some time, can consider R7 7700 based rig as well for better future upgradability:

R7 7700X costs similar as 7700 but you will have to use 105W Eco mode to not see it hitting 95C temps because of its boost behaviour. R7 7700 is better tuned for out of the box experience for novices.

View attachment 173330

View attachment 173331
yes yes, the i5 13600K . did a mistake there .

would like suggestions which smps to go for , i like seasonic but hard to find this days in India and Ram too .

Although you're saying you'll add a GPU later, can you say approx what type of GPU you're looking at? That will help people recommend a balanced CPU.

i was suppose to go for a Mac last year , but due to lack of 3d software support and upgrading Ram was expensive.

I hope you get a good one built .
And good luck!.
Just shared my experience on why I think macmini is very nice future proof( to quite an extent) for video editing.
Having said that I understand the ease of having windows too.

i was suppose to go for a Mac last year , but due to lack of 3d software support and upgrading Ram was expensive

yes yes, the i5 13600K . did a mistake there .

would like suggestions which smps to go for , i like seasonic but hard to find this days in India and Ram too .
Both my lists have a good Tier A PSU from XPG, Core Reactor 750W gold. Good for the price.

I hope you get a good one built .
And good luck!.
Just shared my experience on why I think macmini is very nice future proof( to quite an extent) for video editing.
Having said that I understand the ease of having windows too.
whats the longest video have you edited and rendered on the mac mini , im trying to get this or a macbook air 15 .
Although you're saying you'll add a GPU later, can you say approx what type of GPU you're looking at? That will help people recommend a balanced CPU.
nvidia 3050 to 4060 , anyone of them . no major effects will be used on this system . Just normal edits , long videos

What kind of codecs are you planning on editing. Makes a huge difference. The Macs can scrub through certain codecs pretty easily. Is this a general video editing rig or purpose built? (Very specific types of videos)

What kind of codecs are you planning on editing. Makes a huge difference. The Macs can scrub through certain codecs pretty easily. Is this a general video editing rig or purpose built? (Very specific types of videos)
general video editing rig. wedding videos

really confused about motherboard

Unless you transcode the footage, which is quite a pain with weddings given the sheer amount of data, you'll also need a decent size SSD for your footage.

GPUs help quite a bit with certain effects and while exporting.

The main pain point is always with scrubbing through footage. Most of the wedding guys are shooting compressed 4K footage which most systems struggle with. This article will give you a good idea on decoding performance https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...e-decoding-is-supported-in-premiere-pro-2120/

And this has a good run down on Intel CPU performance for Premiere. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-cloud-performance-intel-6th-gen-to-13th-gen/

general video editing rig. wedding videos

really confused about motherboard
If portable storage is used a lot (which I'm guessing is true), then a motherboard equipped with Thunderbolt is definitely good to have. Premier pro plays better with Intel, so a 13500 is a no brainer.

A cheap motherboard is fine for the 13500, my recommendation on the budget side would be the Asrock B760 Pro RS.
The ProArt will likely need a BIOS update to support 13th gen chips as well. You could go with the H770 board you chose, but it doesn't have the best VRMs to support the power delivery for the i5 13500 (this can be fixed with a 125w power limit). This doesn't matter much if he edits continuously for long periods of time. The H770 isn't the best in terms of value either, that Asrock board has 99% of the features that the H770 has. If you do go with the H770 or cheaper B760, do invest in 64GB of RAM as well, that extra capacity will certainly help. Capacity matters more than speed here, so DDR5 makes little sense for the build.

I recommend watching TechNotice's videos, he has plenty of good content regarding video editing.

Last edited:
If portable storage is used a lot (which I'm guessing is true), then a motherboard equipped with Thunderbolt is definitely good to have. Premier pro plays better with Intel, so a 13500 is a no brainer.

A cheap motherboard is fine for the 13500, my recommendation on the budget side would be the Asrock B760 Pro RS.
The ProArt will likely need a BIOS update to support 13th gen chips as well. You could go with the H770 board you chose, but it doesn't have the best VRMs to support the power delivery for the i5 13500 (this can be fixed with a 125w power limit). This doesn't matter much if he edits continuously for long periods of time. The H770 isn't the best in terms of value either, that Asrock board has 99% of the features that the H770 has. If you do go with the H770 or cheaper B760, do invest in 64GB of RAM as well, that extra capacity will certainly help. Capacity matters more than speed here, so DDR5 makes little sense for the build.

I recommend watching TechNotice's videos, he has plenty of good content regarding video editing.
Thanks for the reply , ill stick with i5 13500 as there will be no overclocking. any recommendation for motherboards in Asus side in 16k-20k budget ? and also a power supply.
and also the stock cpu cooler should be okay or better of getting another one ?

its been 10 years i built my PC and have not been in the PC building space for long time . so lost .

Thanks for the reply , ill stick with i5 13500 as there will be no overclocking. any recommendation for motherboards in Asus side in 16k-20k budget ? and also a power supply.
and also the stock cpu cooler should be okay or better of getting another one ?

its been 10 years i built my PC and have not been in the PC building space for long time . so lost .
The Asrock B760 PRO RS actually seems to be the best option under 15k, you could go with that.

Other options would be Gigabyte Z790M Aorus Elite (https://www.pcstudio.in/product/gigabyte-z790m-aorus-elite-ax-lga1700-micro-atx-motherboard/) , Asus Prime Z790M ( https://www.theitdepot.com/details-...+D4-CSM+DDR4+Intel+Motherboard_C13P38563.html) or Asus B760 PLUS (https://www.pcstudio.in/product/asus-prime-b760-plus-d4-lga1700-atx-motherboard/)
Stock cooler will struggle to keep the i5 cool, resulting in noise and lesser performance. A cheap cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum or Deepcool AK400 is sufficient. The one I suggested in the build costs only 1k more and will operate quiter and have much better cooling capacity then the 212 and AK400.

For PSU, XPG Core Reactor 750w is a good one.

Remember, Thunderbolt enclosures are pretty expensive.

As DestGod said, XPG Core Reactor 750w is a good one. I've been using one for a couple of months, though it's ina NAS

Thanks for the replies again , so here are almost confirmed parts
CPU-Intel Core i5-13500
CPU cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum V3
motherboard-Asus PRIME Z790M-PLUS D4 Micro ATX or Asrock B760 PRO RS if available locally
Ram-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB ( may make it 32GB )
SSD 1-Western Digital Blue SN570 1TB
SSD 2
Case
-Corsair Spec-05
Power-ADATA XPG CORE Reactor 650 650 W 80+

Thanks for the replies again , so here are almost confirmed parts
CPU-Intel Core i5-13500
CPU cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum V3
motherboard-Asus PRIME Z790M-PLUS D4 Micro ATX or Asrock B760 PRO RS if available locally
Ram-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB ( may make it 32GB )
SSD 1-Western Digital Blue SN570 1TB
SSD 2
Case
-Corsair Spec-05
Power-ADATA XPG CORE Reactor 650 650 W 80+

OP do yourself and your friend a favour and please get at least 32gigs of RAM. I have 64 gigs and premiere still finds a way of using most of it. This is for a long form project

shops are slow in my town , so one quoted the following
CPU-Intel Core i5-13500 @ 19700 +
CPU cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum V3 @ 2200 +
Ram-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB @ 2750 + DDR4 3950 + DDR5
SSD 1-Western Digital Blue SN570 1TB @ 3750 +
Case-Corsair Spec-05 @ 3250 +
*all are without taxes .

anyone knows hows gigabyte z790 ud ac motherbrds ? as hardly asus or Asrock here

Back