Graphic Cards Video Cards: Buy now or wait for new-gen?

Orija

Adept
There are rumors floating about AMD's 8xxx cards, and from the specs sheet that has been floating around they look pretty darn impressive. Currently I have a malfunctioning 9800gt. Should I go get myself a 7870 or 660, or wait for new series to be launched?

There are rumors floating about AMD's 8xxx cards, and from the specs sheet that has been floating around they look pretty darn impressive. Currently I have a malfunctioning 9800gt. Should I go get myself a 7870 or 660, or wait for new series to be launched?

The wise thing to do, is always buy just the most VFM item, when a newer tech is coming in. With the launch of the 8 series, I daresay pricing on the older 7 series and the 6 series from the green stables too, should start falling, pickup something then.

However, if you are an early adopter, then go ahead with 8 series when they launch.

The only time you need to consider waiting is when theres new tech around the corner... eg. a few years back when Nvidia shifted to unified shaders with the 8 series or when Fermi/HD5xxx series brought along DX 11 with hardware tessellation. When theres something potentially useful around the corner- you wait. Otherwise, if you're just looking at better specs (which is what it looks like above) then you should go ahead and save yourself the trouble of waiting and thinking and just buy a card now.

That's sound advice. Which card should I be getting, I have a budget of ~20k. The Asus 660 looks like the best for 1920x1080.

Specs: 2500k, Corsair 650 TX V2, heavy gaming

That's sound advice. Which card should I be getting, I have a budget of ~20k. The Asus 660 looks like the best for 1920x1080.

Specs: 2500k, Corsair 650 TX V2, heavy gaming

You can get a GTX660Ti in that price (~20500/-) from here --> Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2 GB GDDR5 GV-N66TWF2-2GD Graphics Card - Gigabyte: Flipkart.com.

Currently out of stock but GIGABYTE has hit the mother-lode with this release and these cards are selling like hot-cakes (and are the cheapest too). If you can find them locally it would be great and expect similar pricing.

If you are in a hurry, augment your budget and get the same card from ASUS OR MSi. Else, you can go with the HD7870 2GB and rest easy.

AnandTech - Bench - GPU12.

Alternatively, you can wait for the HD8*** series to release and assessing the situation go for a better-performance / -value card depending on your budget and the overall benchmark metrics.

Wishing all on this thread a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2013.

P.S. -- Don't you have a HD7850 already?

I'm not too sure about Gigabyte, man. I don't think their cards are as durable as Asus'. The only advantage this card seems to have is a higher clock. The Asus card has better cooling and is quieter. The Asus card also seemingly has half the power requirement of the Gigabyte card, is that an error?

Yea, the 7870 looks pretty great, but I don't have any experience with AMD cards. I don't know much about the manufacturers either, plus I've been hearing that Sapphire's 7870s are turning out to be defective. Also, it's AMD, they tend to have driver issues (Brink, BF3 and Rage spring to mind), and they have fps spiking.

well, at the price range, it was the fastest card available. it had the same military grade caps just like asus had. and the same type of cooler. Since I am not much of an overclocker, I didnt mind fiddling with the clock settings. My requirement was to play games at 1080p and every game that I currently have runs at 1080p at ultra settings. some people said its was overvolted and etc... but since it comes with that 3 year warranty I dont mind.

I would've gone for asus card if msi wasnt available.

Yea, I read about the overvolting in MSI's gpus too. Given the abysmal state of RMAs in India, I don't think I want to needlessly go through all that hassle. So I probably won't buy the MSI one, Asus' most likely and then Zotac/Gigabyte, depending on what you guys recommend.[DOUBLEPOST=1363404408,1357645208][/DOUBLEPOST]It's been a month since I got the refund, the 7950 Vapor-X as well as the Gigabyte 670 are out of stock at Flipkart. What do you guys suggest doing?

It seems Nvidia / AMD are both will not release new cards this year. there is not enough supply of semiconductor wafers <28nm . Current technology is based on 28 nm architechture . ...
AMD has already declared they ewill not be releasing new card this year and continues with 78 / 7900 series . 8xxx series is just rebadged 78/7900 series with evolutionary changes and not major architechure . Morever new cconsoles PS4 and Xbox 720 are due to launch this year end or next year with AMD graphics so there focus is mainly on them.

Regarding nvidia ....They are concentrating big on mobile markets and PC graphics evolution is little on backburner.. There will be some launches like Titan etc but more on enthusiastic level. Mainstream PC users are stuck with same architechture this year .

If you can wait for an year or so its fine . else i would suggest jumping for new card now .....

between Nvidia vs AMD .......its really tough ... It was no brainer before for Nvidia with its support within gaming industry But if future consoles are powered by AMD Graphics we are set for some interesting times ahead .

Personally i just went with 7870 AMD Tahiti as its VFM and supports 4K whereas 660 ti due memory bandwith limitation may not be that good.[DOUBLEPOST=1363845047][/DOUBLEPOST]Avoid Sapphire Cards they are turning defectives lately . Go for Gigabyte or Asus

Back