Budget 15-20K Used Xiaomi Phone to run Pixel Experience

greenhorn

Patron
Hi all. I have been totally enamored by my pixel 3 and 4a and have been a total pixel fanboy ever since.
Unfortunately service costs have hit me and hit me hard (14k to replace either mobo or display when you can get an entire refurb phone for that price)
Plus atrociously bad battery life has been annoying me too.
My wife's poco m3 on the other hand is like a maruti - anything breaks, there is a service center around the corner (pixels need to be sent to mumbai) and any repair is 2k ish

So i got a poco m3 from olx and flashed pixel experience on it, and its nice, I do miss the camera, but the battery life is fabulous.
the ui is a bit laggy - I assume It's because of the poverty spec processor (SD 662). I have a redmi note 11 with a SD 680 but I dont think it will be much better.
My 3 has a SD 845, and the 4A has a 730G, and i was looking for something in that range
I almost bought an x3 pro because the specs are out of this world for the price, but then i read hear that they're dropping dead like flies

Whats a reasonably new Xiaomi/Poco phone with a PE 13 support and a snappy CPU I can use as my main phone?
The 3A had a 670 and my Note 11 has a 680 - would that be enough?
Poco F1's are cheap but they support only Android 12
X2 or X3 are next on my list - or are there better options?
I know the x4 pro/ note 11 pro has the 695g. That was a big Miss when i bought my current phone. But spending 17k for a new phone vs 8k for a used one with only slightly better performance, that's tough to justify. I know i can sell/exchange this current redmi but it's hard to swallow that much loss on a two week old phone
I am looking for only phones with official support so i can do a clean from scratch install, and pass the safety checks for netbanking etc

Last edited:
Nope. You never need to root any custom ROM in order to flash/run it. I have never rooted my current phone and everything works like a charm.

Root is always optional.
Even if you are not rooted, you cannot pass the integrity checks. On Pixel, found that you cannot run GPay with all features on GrapeheneOS even with a locked bootloader.

An unlocked bootloader is even easier to detect and now it is difficult to pass device and Play integrity checks in many cases.

Custom ROMs are a plaything now that don't make sense to run on daily drivers.

Even if you are not rooted, you cannot pass the integrity checks. On Pixel, found that you cannot run GPay with all features on GrapeheneOS even with a locked bootloader.

An unlocked bootloader is even easier to detect and now it is difficult to pass device and Play integrity checks in many cases.

Custom ROMs are a plaything now that don't make sense to run on daily drivers.
Idk about the specifics but everything works as expected on both my Androids that have custom ROMs with unlocked bootloaders.

Hi all. I have been totally enamored by my pixel 3 and 4a and have been a total pixel fanboy ever since.
Unfortunately service costs have hit me and hit me hard (14k to replace either mobo or display when you can get an entire refurb phone for that price)
Plus atrociously bad battery life has been annoying me too.
My wife's poco m3 on the other hand is like a maruti - anything breaks, there is a service center around the corner (pixels need to be sent to mumbai) and any repair is 2k ish

So i got a poco m3 from olx and flashed pixel experience on it, and its nice, I do miss the camera, but the battery life is fabulous.
the ui is a bit laggy - I assume It's because of the poverty spec processor (SD 662). I have a redmi note 11 with a SD 680 but I dont think it will be much better.
My 3 has a SD 845, and the 4A has a 730G, and i was looking for something in that range
I almost bought an x3 pro because the specs are out of this world for the price, but then i read hear that they're dropping dead like flies

Whats a reasonably new Xiaomi/Poco phone with a PE 13 support and a snappy CPU I can use as my main phone?
The 3A had a 670 and my Note 11 has a 680 - would that be enough?
Poco F1's are cheap but they support only Android 12
X2 or X3 are next on my list - or are there better options?
I know the x4 pro/ note 11 pro has the 695g. That was a big Miss when i bought my current phone. But spending 17k for a new phone vs 8k for a used one with only slightly better performance, that's tough to justify. I know i can sell/exchange this current redmi but it's hard to swallow that much loss on a two week old phone
I am looking for only phones with official support so i can do a clean from scratch install, and pass the safety checks for netbanking etc
be issmart , pixel os page has device support list pick any phone model from it

and you are right mi have good support from service centers . if you take care of your phone you wont have issues . just the battery will require replacement.

If you are confident on the custom rom route . than pickup a VFM phone launched within a price tier it will have pretty long custom rom support .Example is Asus X00TD and legendary redmi 4

Some things will run fine ,some wont depend on your usage.
For ex my sbi app works on both custon roms either rooted or not,whereas pnb doesnt even work with a non rooted custom rom, same with apps like netflix without using magisk.

Some things will run fine ,some wont depend on your usage.
For ex my sbi app works on both custon roms either rooted or not,whereas pnb doesnt even work with a non rooted custom rom, same with apps like netflix without using magisk.
Observed that Edge doesn't allow Google login even with root being hidden using Magisk, but it works fine on Chrome. GPay logs in fine but card-based bill payments don't work.

The Tata Neu app used to not work with root even when hidden, but I complained about it and observed they stopped checking for root.

It is a mixed bag but root breaks too many things related to banking and secure logins to be done on a primary device. I have no issue having my tablet rooted as it doesn't have any confidential data on it.

be issmart , pixel os page has device support list pick any phone model from it

I bought the m3 because it was on the pe supported list (still is) and installed pixel experience from the official site using the official recovery and instructions. But got fed up of having to do clean flashes. Was surviving on it. Don't want to try another os as experiment again. Stock rom for me.

I bought the m3 because it was on the pe supported list (still is) and installed pixel experience from the official site using the official recovery and instructions. But got fed up of having to do clean flashes. Was surviving on it. Don't want to try another os as experiment again. Stock rom for me.
yes pixel experience also works .

my preference is to stick on lineage os and pixel experience supported devices

Back