CPU/Mobo USB ports are not working

Foxhole

Disciple
ok...I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RS620G with XP and SP2 installed. A few months ago I noticed the USB ports were not working. No devices are recognized. I have installed the latest BIOS from Sony and have DISABLED legacy USB support. I have also gone into Safe Mode and have removed and reinstalled all of my USB drivers.

For some reason, my BIOS is not recognizing any USB devices - ipods, cell phones, PDA's etc.

Sony has given up and has told me to do a system recovery, but there must be some other explanation. Any thoughts?:(

Have you tried enabling the ports from your Vaio's bios... If you have never worked with bios then i will suggest you to take your lappy to your dealer and tell him to do this for you...

I've gone into the BIOS..Here is what I have done

USB Legacy Support [Disabled]

USB 2.0 Controller [Enabled]

US 2.0 Controller Mode [HiSpeed]

Above the settings is says

USB Enabled Devices : None

I think that means it is not recognizing any of the USB Devices connected

In my ASUS P4800ED boards BIOS I have all the options mentioned by you .... AND... one more.... which is "USB Function" and here I have to set the USB ports which have to be enabled. Check if this option is present in your BIOS.

Get knoppix from http://www.knoppix.org/ or some digit mag.

Its linux on a live cd, wont touch your hard disk, if the usb device works in knoppix you can be sure that something is wrong with xp if it doesnt then something is wrong with the laptop.

Foxhole said:
I don't think it is, but I will check. Where in the BIOS do you see this option. Is it under the USB Configuration?

YES.... on same page of BIOS - right before the other options you mentioned.

I agree with Hacker, before doing a complete install, use a live CD and check. Also alternatively set the USB speed to Fullspeed and check if its working.

I have downloaded the Knoppix, and will give that a go. But to answer your question...

When I go into BIOS, under USB Configuration, I see the following...

Module Version 2.22.4-5.3

USB Devices Enabled: None

Legacy USB Support [Disabled]
USB 2.0 Controller [Enabled]

There is no place for me to set FullSpeed.

Something is causing the USB 2.0 Controllers not to recognize any device. Perhaps it is the driver. Maybe they are corrupted.

For the Bios to recognize the USB stuff, the legacy support needs to be on, no?

legacy support if im not mistaken is for detecting usb mouse and kb in pure dos environments. It has nothing to do with windows.

Hacker said:
legacy support if im not mistaken is for detecting usb mouse and kb in pure dos environments. It has nothing to do with windows.

YES thats right ... and... if you have Legacy supprt switched on then Memtest fails - on my board at least.

@Count_Down - YES still using the P4C800ED board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foxhole said:
For some reason, my BIOS is not recognizing any USB devices - ipods, cell phones, PDA's etc.

(

He was saying Bios not recognozing these. Thats why I thought the legacy support needs to be turned on.

Count_Down said:
He was saying Bios not recognozing these. Thats why I thought the legacy support needs to be turned on.

..... of course you are right. BIOS will not recognise any USB devices unless Legacy support is switched on.

My MoBo had a very funny version of the BIOS early last year - it would give one Beep on boot for every USB device attached - so when I had attached ...... USB Mouse / USB UPS cable / USB Scanner / 2 HDD in USB case / USB reading lamp I would get 7 beeps - 6 devices and one system beep. It was like a listening to a full song on boot. :rofl:

Have Knoppix installed and up and running. What is a simple test I can run to test out my USB's. Still learning my way around the Knoppix UI....I tried to setup my camera, but they didn't have my camer type in the configuration screen.

Andy

well....a USB mouse does not appear to work, unless I am doing something totally wrong. I tried two USB mouses..

There is power coming across the USB ports, because I tested it with a USB lamp. I wonder if my USB Controller is fried..

Dude, try updating the firmware on your USB devices. My mobo didn't recognise my PSP on USB earlier, but now I've upgraded it's firmware and it gets detected every time I attach it.

Back