US India diplomatic row over Devyani Khobragade escalates

No domestic in NYC makes 55k annual. Why this figure was mentioned in the visa application for an A-3 is a mystery. 20k would be pushing it. Though technically lying on the application , i don't see it as big an issue as has been made. It's a formality.
Except that is wrong. I clarified this with one of my friends in US. The going rate for an Indian maid in NYC is $9.5/hour at minimum, and it is Indian families living there who usually hire an Indian maid. Anyone who pays their employee less than $7.25/hour is abusing their employees, and they will be dealt with strictly; perhaps they've learned from their slavery days. Moreover, there was also visa fraud involved.

And as far as the contract is concerned, no contract is above human and civil rights. Someone cannot make you sign a contract and tramp on the rights granted by the constitution, even in India. Though, whether it is enforced or not is an altogether different matter.

A direct response from USDOJ - United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York

http://www.justice.gov/usao/nys/pressreleases/December13/KhobragadeStatement.php

There has been much misinformation and factual inaccuracy in the reporting on the charges against Devyani Khobragade. It is important to correct these inaccuracies because they are misleading people and creating an inflammatory atmosphere on an unfounded basis. Although I am quite limited in my role as a prosecutor in what I can say, which in many ways constrains my ability here to explain the case to the extent I would like, I can nevertheless make sure the public record is clearer than it has been thus far.

First, Ms. Khobragade was charged based on conduct, as is alleged in the Complaint, that shows she clearly tried to evade U.S. law designed to protect from exploitation the domestic employees of diplomats and consular officers. Not only did she try to evade the law, but as further alleged, she caused the victim and her spouse to attest to false documents and be a part of her scheme to lie to U.S. government officials. So it is alleged not merely that she sought to evade the law, but that she affirmatively created false documents and went ahead with lying to the U.S. government about what she was doing. One wonders whether any government would not take action regarding false documents being submitted to it in order to bring immigrants into the country. One wonders even more pointedly whether any government would not take action regarding that alleged conduct where the purpose of the scheme was to unfairly treat a domestic worker in ways that violate the law. And one wonders why there is so much outrage about the alleged treatment of the Indian national accused of perpetrating these acts, but precious little outrage about the alleged treatment of the Indian victim and her spouse?

Second, as the alleged conduct of Ms. Khobragade makes clear, there can be no plausible claim that this case was somehow unexpected or an injustice. Indeed, the law is clearly set forth on the State Department website. Further, there have been other public cases in the United States involving other countries, and some involving India, where the mistreatment of domestic workers by diplomats or consular officers was charged criminally, and there have been civil suits as well. In fact, the Indian government itself has been aware of this legal issue, and that its diplomats and consular officers were at risk of violating the law. The question then may be asked: Is it for U.S. prosecutors to look the other way, ignore the law and the civil rights of victims (again, here an Indian national), or is it the responsibility of the diplomats and consular officers and their government to make sure the law is observed?

Third, Ms. Khobragade, the Deputy General Consul for Political, Economic, Commercial and Women’s Affairs, is alleged to have treated this victim illegally in numerous ways by paying her far below minimum wage, despite her child care responsibilities and many household duties, such that it was not a legal wage. The victim is also alleged to have worked far more than the 40 hours per week she was contracted to work, and which exceeded the maximum hour limit set forth in the visa application. Ms. Khobragade, as the Complaint charges, created a second contract that was not to be revealed to the U.S. government, that changed the amount to be paid to far below minimum wage, deleted the required language protecting the victim from other forms of exploitation and abuse, and also deleted language that stated that Ms. Khobragade agreed to “abide by all Federal, state, and local laws in the U.S.” As the Complaint states, these are only “in part” the facts, and there are other facts regarding the treatment of the victim – that were not consistent with the law or the representations made by Ms. Khobragade -- that caused this Office and the State Department, to take legal action.

Fourth, as to Ms. Khobragade’s arrest by State Department agents, this is a prosecutor’s office in charge of prosecution, not the arrest or custody, of the defendant, and therefore those questions may be better referred to other agencies. I will address these issues based on the facts as I understand them. Ms. Khobragade was accorded courtesies well beyond what other defendants, most of whom are American citizens, are accorded. She was not, as has been incorrectly reported, arrested in front of her children. The agents arrested her in the most discreet way possible, and unlike most defendants, she was not then handcuffed or restrained. In fact, the arresting officers did not even seize her phone as they normally would have. Instead, they offered her the opportunity to make numerous calls to arrange personal matters and contact whomever she needed, including allowing her to arrange for child care. This lasted approximately two hours. Because it was cold outside, the agents let her make those calls from their car and even brought her coffee and offered to get her food. It is true that she was fully searched by a female Deputy Marshal -- in a private setting -- when she was brought into the U.S. Marshals’ custody, but this is standard practice for every defendant, rich or poor, American or not, in order to make sure that no prisoner keeps anything on his person that could harm anyone, including himself. This is in the interests of everyone’s safety.

Fifth, as has been reported, the victim’s family has been brought to the United States. As also has been reported, legal process was started in India against the victim, attempting to silence her, and attempts were made to compel her to return to India. Further, the Victim’s family reportedly was confronted in numerous ways regarding this case. Speculation about why the family was brought here has been rampant and incorrect. Some focus should perhaps be put on why it was necessary to evacuate the family and what actions were taken in India vis-à-vis them. This Office and the Justice Department are compelled to make sure that victims, witnesses and their families are safe and secure while cases are pending.

Finally, this Office’s sole motivation in this case, as in all cases, is to uphold the rule of law, protect victims, and hold accountable anyone who breaks the law – no matter what their societal status and no matter how powerful, rich or connected they are.

Last edited:
@sid_donnydarko
^^ For exact connection check the link which I posted about Devyani's father. I fully support what GOI is doing currently... Atleast they proved they are not spineless.
Read about how Brazil and other small nations handle such atrocities when it comes to their diplomats. Diplomats are our representatives there. Their insult and mistreatment is our nations insult.
And read my posts carefully I have never defended Devyani (nor accused her). Right or wrong there is a way to handle it.
Why the hell did the US govt issue migration visa to a Indian citizen who was ordered by the Indian courts to surrender his passport and not leave the country.... This is only one.... read any news site to know 100 other such reasons. And the matter of Devyani is of financial fraud and incorrect information (that too about financial matters not some identity or other security issue). So there was no need to make this a human rights matter and mistreat her like that.

They deny Modi a US visa blaming him for Muslim deaths in the 2002 riots. Why not deny Gandhi family on the grounds on operation bluestar or the SriLankan mission.
Why doesn't India bar their president on the count of war in Afghanistan ????
Modi visa is a big joke.... Like US care so much for islamic ppl. Even islamic nations didn't react that way...

sid_donnydarko : "Well Americans see a big difference between between business fraud and human trafficking. According to them, the former is a punishable crime while the latter as socially unacceptable/inhuman."

See, immunity provided to diplomats is a worldwide concept approved and respected by all countries who are part of UN. That priority should be respected.
How 'Americans see things' should also be in line with those laws, not as per their whims and fancies.

Now, they are 'regretting' and what not. If they were performing right procedures, they should have took their stand and not 'regretted' their actions. That would have bought a lot of respect to their ideas.

"True. Its a mere technicality that's protecting Devyani"

No, it is not 'mere technicality', it the spirit of UN Conventions respected by every country in the world, which USA should also respect.
We all know that USA is the sole beacon of hope and democrazy all over the world and they only do right things. But, we can hope with right kind of (required) pressure, they can stay on correct course.

America did not over-act. They filed charges against Devyani that questioned her motives/conduct. In other words they made a judgement call when weighing Richard's Testimony and Devyani's Consular Immunity, which is rather rare since the arresting Marshall could potentially lose his/her job.

Errrm...what are you saying. Just on hypothesis of motives and/or conduct they arrested her and did the physical examinations. Had she not all ready raised a flag when her staff went missing...? Does not the phrase "judgement call" sound misplaced if: that is the foray the authorities took.

Let us remove the Diplomatic Immunity metric, since that causes more ambiguity rather than transparency.

What if a normal NRI was the PoO for this fiasco. How should it been handled and managed...? The authorities discover that an employer is not remunerating minimal wages for a legal binding contract. Is this the type of arrest...? Was the staff subjected to battery / assault...? It is a criminal act, but what is the brevity. Or in the US of A: a third degree is equivalent to incorrect payment of wages in terms of attitude and outlook. Could be.

@blkrbot

- NYPD acted how they would when arresting someone, with the same procedure they do for everyone else; note that she doesn't have diplomatic immunity, which allowed them to arrest her

She was subject to Strip Search and Cavity search.. which NOT standard procedure. It is only employed if there is reasonable suspicion that the person may be carrying a hidden weapon to hurt themselves or others.

Strip/Cavity searches are used if the person is suspected of carrying contraband.

Does an Indian Consul Officer fall under any of those ?

1. Devyani is Consular Officer who should not be arrested unless it is for a grave crime under Vienna Convention.

2. The Maid fled from her employer and later attempted to extort her to get a Green Card. She also demanded $10,000 all on record and said she wouldn't go back to India.

3. There is no evidence what-so-ever that the maid's family was ever arrested, when infact the flew to US two days before Devyani's arrest.

4. Cavity & Strip search are NOT standard procedures and are employed for hardened criminals and repeat offenders.

5. The Maid fully knew what she was going to be paid in the US. She had even worked on trial basis for Devyani in India before being hired to go to US. Sangeeta knew she would only get 30,000 and the work conditions.

6. According to Devyani's family Sangeeta lived in pretty good conditions with her own room in the same appt. and could freely travel and access the internet (with a iPad that Devyani got her). She ate the same food as the host family. She was a nanny for two kids 3 & 6 yrs old who are in school full time. No way she was made to work 19 hrs a day.

7. Sangeeta is equally complicit in lying to the US Immigration when being interviewed for the A-3, she presented the Employment Contract herself to the Immigration Dept claiming the $4500 salary. She lied (as per instructions from Devyani) to get the VISA. Since Sangeeta is now a Govt. witness she being treated a victim so that Preet Bahara can have his trophy.

8. In previous instance of such cases involving domestic help employed by Consul/Diplomats an arrest was never made. All matters were settled out of court.

9. The prosecution has only charged Devyani with Visa Fraud & Lying to govt.

1. Devyani is Consular Officer who should not be arrested unless it is for a grave crime under Vienna Convention.
Really? Please share where the Vienna convention states that consular officers shouldn't be arrested for non grave offences.
Cavity & Strip search are NOT standard procedures and are employed for hardened criminals and repeat offenders.

They say they did strip but not cavity search. But I guess her lawyer has no incentive to exaggerate, does he?
[url]http://www.financialexpress.com/news/-there-s-a-difference-us-marshals-concedes-strip-not-cavity-search/1209483[/URL]

Except that is wrong. I clarified this with one of my friends in US. The going rate for an Indian maid in NYC is $9.5/hour at minimum, and it is Indian families living there who usually hire an Indian maid.
9.5/hour * 40 * 4 = 1520/month or under$20k/year. Why was it mentioned she would get $4.5k/month or 55k/year on the A-3 visa application. This I cannot understand. Would the visa have been refused if it was less. If that's the case then lying on the form is the only way to get a domestic into NYC. It's the norm. Has to be because its double the market rate. How many make that much ?

She was offered Rs.30k/month, in india, this is 5-6 times the going rate for the same work. It works out to $500/month which for a live-in is a kings ransom. No board, food, transport or medical expenses. This is how we treat our live-in's in india and they can be a real pain when they don't cooperate. They get the going rateor whatever was agreed to. Since the agreement was in rupees, she would be paid in India and not the US.

Anyone who pays their employee less than $7.25/hour is abusing their employees, and they will be dealt with strictly; perhaps they've learned from their slavery days. Moreover, there was also visa fraud involved.
When i was in NYC we hired an illegal Jamaican for less. Most people did as illegals don't squeal. They get paid, a service is rendered, both parties are happy. Cash in hand, off the books, no taxes. No local will do this kind of job because they are priced out of the market and you would not want a local anyway. So when you look at this labour dispute it seems like the message is directed towards other Americans. Are they listening ? nah, things will continue as usual.

Slaves don't get a choice whether to come to the US, they don't get paid and they cannot leave. Wrong on all three counts as far as this maid is concerned.

And as far as the contract is concerned, no contract is above human and civil rights. Someone cannot make you sign a contract and tramp on the rights granted by the constitution, even in India. Though, whether it is enforced or not is an altogether different matter.
Then the maid should have refused the job offer. Nobody forced her to take the job. Once she accepted she was bound by the contract. She went on an official passport, this means you cannot change employers. She wanted a personal passport and was blocked. Go back to india and get your passport then apply from there. You cannot jump ship otherwise we'd have loads of domestics doing just that. Did she do this ? No. Employer was forced to file a FIR against her and then an arrest warrant, meaning extradition. Did the US comply ? No, they went around our backs. Our courts for some reason matter less than theirs. Could not sack the maid, the ultimate power an employer has to terminate employment somehow did not exist. In what country does this happen.

See, the problem here is this anglo can speak english, maybe if they got somebody that was not so good in english they'd have never been able to pull this off. She had relatives that worked for US diplomats, you'd think she'd make a good worker, knowledgeable and therefore dangerous as we've seen. How the hell did she manage to network enough to get her family out of the country before charges were brought against the diplomat. She hung her employer out to dry and dragged India through the mud and used the US to get it done. Too bad nobody in the state dept had their eye on the ball here.

Anyway, what's done is done. I'm looking towards the future. I expect the see the diplomat out of the country like malhotra before. She won't be serving time over such a petty issue neither should she have to.

Really? Please share where the Vienna convention states that consular officers shouldn't be arrested for non grave offences.

They say they did strip but not cavity search. But I guess her lawyer has no incentive to exaggerate, does he?
[url]http://www.financialexpress.com/news/-there-s-a-difference-us-marshals-concedes-strip-not-cavity-search/1209483[/URL]

Article 41 (1) [consular immunity against criminal action].

Moreover, the US Marshall's website reads that the 3rd/4th degree of 'Standard Procedure' (to which the lady was subjected to), is for drug-addicts & hardened criminals prone to/involved in armed assaults (not my info).

Last edited:

http://www.financialexpress.com/new...hals-concedes-strip-not-cavity-search/1209483

Even Strip Search requires reasonable suspicion.[DOUBLEPOST=1387470053][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nobody seems to understand that Americans loathe and detest the very idea behind Slavery or Human Trafficking. And they will treat anyone found guilty in the same way they would treat a psychotic serial killer.

There was no Slavery or Human Trafficking .. please don't bring in these terms useless when they are considered so serious.

Her charges just include VISA Fraud and lying to the govt.

Article 41 (1) [consular immunity against criminal action].
I would presume that a crime that carries a maximum sentence of 15 years would be a grave crime.
Even Strip Search requires reasonable suspicion.
The Attorney general's statement says every defendant is strip searched. So I just presumed that he would probably know some US law...

yeah, well done preet, you really scored big time in India with this one.

He is trophy hunting. Similar disputes were always settled out of court previously without arrests.

Sangeeta (the maid) was equally complicit to fraud when she lied to immigration during her interview .. but now that she is the star witness she is 'immune' .. But Preet Bahara will have us believe that she was 'forced to lie' ..[DOUBLEPOST=1387470358][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would presume that a crime that carries a maximum sentence of 15 years would be a grave crime.

The Attorney general's statement says every defendant is strip searched. So I just presumed that he would probably know some US law...

Grave Crimes are usually genocide & Mass Murder like the ones we got after Naziz and African warlords for.

Back