[Urgent]Suggest a laptop cooling pad

want to buy a laptop cooling pad for a business/office laptop that has a very small fan intake and runs hot af and shuts down. Budget about 1k ish
search for a 200mm fan cooling pad. will be silent. else 140mm x 2 fans. normally I would just use a amazon basic laptop stand and not a cooling fan which providers ventilation space.

search for a 200mm fan cooling pad. will be silent. else 140mm x 2 fans. normally I would just use a amazon basic laptop stand and not a cooling fan which providers ventilation space.
yes that could work,otherwise i am thinking two cooler master sickleflow fans or arctic airflow optimized 140mm fans running of of usb power,usb 5v being stepped up to 12v via buck converters. Currently i have a cheap chinese fan done that way and it helps in keeping laptop somewhat cool,but is only source on a single vent.

You're probably aware that the problem isn't really less cooling but most probably lack of cleaning, clogged fans/vents and re-paste needed.
I'm sure there aren't any out of the box hardware which exhibit this behavior of shutting down abruptly when get extremely hot when running normally. This only happens due to aforementioned reason.

Perhaps talk with company IT department to fix it for you or provide replacement? They have premium support contracts with OEMs for such stuff.

You're probably aware that the problem isn't really less cooling but most probably lack of cleaning, clogged fans/vents and re-paste needed.
I'm sure there aren't any out of the box hardware which exhibit this behavior of shutting down abruptly when get extremely hot when running normally. This only happens due to aforementioned reason.

Perhaps talk with company IT department to fix it for you or provide replacement? They have premium support contracts with OEMs for such stuff.
they already replaced fan assembly and motherboard a month ago. now this problem has resurfaced. i have seen hwmonitor logs temps without ac.external fan on it reach 99*C easily. No dust anywhere. no blocked intake wents. Just poor design by lenovo for such a expensive laptop. all the other vents than fan vents have some or other sort of gorunding,wifi stickers overlapping them inside the back cover. Absolutely poor thermal design. i am going to try disabling turbo boost and see,this thing turbos like crazy.To add to that this is 4-5 month old machine.Pure hot Garbage.

they already replaced fan assembly and motherboard a month ago. now this problem has resurfaced. i have seen hwmonitor logs temps without ac.external fan on it reach 99*C easily.
I'm pretty sure those lazy mofos forgot to add/replace thermal paste. It happened with me too once in my last company the service guy removed cooler and everything and replaced the mobo and put it back on as-is and while he was doing it I questioned him why did you not add/replace the paste he said it's not needed, the very little scrapes of what was left of it on the copper plate was "enough" according to him. A poor excuse for not actually having replacement thermal paste according to me.

It was also a Lenovo Thinkpad L480 8th gen intel i7 it used to get hot but never shut off. I took it upon myself to re-paste it at home since there were no stickers or anything to indicate tamper (which was already done by the service dude). It improved drastically. Even in my current company I'm using a Thinkpad T14 Gen1 10th gen intel i7, which is absolutely fine.

Which exact model is it ? Online reviews, and opinions of others here having the same model might help. If that model generally doesn't overheat, that would be an indication for your specific piece having a problem.

If something is wrong inside, external laptop cooler will be a lot of hassle, for little benefit. If it is a small business who gave the laptop to you as an employee, or you are the business owner, you can easily get it repasted. If Thinkpad, generally opening it for repasting is less trouble than many other laptops. My T14 Gen 2, Intel i7 is running fine. Cores are 40-42 deg C at idle, 50-60 at load.

I'm pretty sure those lazy mofos forgot to add/replace thermal paste. It happened with me too once in my last company the service guy removed cooler and everything and replaced the mobo and put it back on as-is and while he was doing it I questioned him why did you not add/replace the paste he said it's not needed, the very little scrapes of what was left of it on the copper plate was "enough" according to him. A poor excuse for not actually having replacement thermal paste according to me.

It was also a Lenovo Thinkpad L480 8th gen intel i7 it used to get hot but never shut off. I took it upon myself to re-paste it at home since there were no stickers or anything to indicate tamper (which was already done by the service dude). It improved drastically. Even in my current company I'm using a Thinkpad T14 Gen1 10th gen intel i7, which is absolutely fine.
Which exact model is it ? Online reviews, and opinions of others here having the same model might help. If that model generally doesn't overheat, that would be an indication for your specific piece having a problem.

If something is wrong inside, external laptop cooler will be a lot of hassle, for little benefit. If it is a small business who gave the laptop to you as an employee, or you are the business owner, you can easily get it repasted. If Thinkpad, generally opening it for repasting is less trouble than many other laptops. My T14 Gen 2, Intel i7 is running fine. Cores are 40-42 deg C at idle, 50-60 at load.
Today the technician again replaced the whole cooling assembly, since motherboard was replaced previously and everything worked fine for a month or so. The new cooling assembly has a pre applied thermal paste on it. I ended up purchasing a laptop cooler, the laptop model is T14 gen 1 i5 vpro,512 nvme,16 gigs of ram. My office has premium support so service happens within a day usually. The technician did say that a lot of other thinkpads they have got calls for similar issues, t440s, those x1,x2 series ones. He also removed tape from one of the intake(non fan intake pass ones) there was a non connected usueless black sticker applied to it for grounding purposes i guess, moved that to a different location. Now the laptop is running very cool tmax is not being hit anymore.Before even opening the youtube home page use to take temps to 99*C or so now stays below 85*c in best performance mode.

Today the technician again replaced the whole cooling assembly, since motherboard was replaced previously and everything worked fine for a month or so. The new cooling assembly has a pre applied thermal paste on it. I ended up purchasing a laptop cooler, the laptop model is T14 gen 1 i5 vpro,512 nvme,16 gigs of ram.
I'm sure it was due to lack of thermal paste from last time. I have the same laptop but i7 config don't have any issues with it. Although I have a weird issue that when I connect charger there are some noises from the laptop like the ones that come from mobile chargers sometimes. Can't be heard unless you put your ear on the laptop. Not sure how to explain. I fear that someday the power circuitry may fail...

I'm sure it was due to lack of thermal paste from last time. I have the same laptop but i7 config don't have any issues with it. Although I have a weird issue that when I connect charger there are some noises from the laptop like the ones that come from mobile chargers sometimes. Can't be heard unless you put your ear on the laptop. Not sure how to explain. I fear that someday the power circuitry may fail...
yeah could be that, the noise is due to coil whine i am sure you already know this. but i think everyone agrees lenovo qc is crap

Back