CPU/Mobo URGENT : Should I get my processor/mobo repaired or should I get a new kit?

cool_dude

Disciple
I have a 7 year old PC. It has an AMD X2 3800+ processor and Asus M2nmx motherboard. Recently, we had a power outage. The UPS gave warning beeps, but nobody paid attention and the PC lost power. After that, it refused to start. When I short the two pins on the mobo, the fan spins for some time and then stops. The PC never boots on. I took the PC to a repair guy and he told me that he would repair the mobo and PSU and replace the processor (he has a similar one with him, of course it's not new.) The total cost that he quoted for this was 3700.

Now, the questions are :

Should I pay him this amount or get a new cpu/mobo combo?
If yes, what is a good combination within the budget of 6K?
Can someone give me contact info of a good PC repair guy in Pune?

1.IMHO, get a new one. It is always safer.
2.For <6k, you wouldn't be getting any of Intel's latest offering(Haswell). Given that here you are literally forced to consider an upgrade, that shouldn't be a problem. Anything that you buy which costs less than 17k (10k for CPU and 6.6k for Mobo) won't be "parts-upgradeable/changeable" in the future. Sockets have changed. Changes every 2 years approximately.
3.Sorry, no idea. :)

Get a new PC. Get Intel G2020 2.9Ghz (Rs 3914 on Flipkart) with Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Motherboard (Rs 3098 on Flipkart) For 7k this combo is really good and you get 3 years warranty.

Op will also have to get new ram modules so add that in 6k as well .. the total budget is going to be around ~8.5k for a new one.

Thanks a lot guys! I took the PC to another PC repair guy and he gave me an estimate of 900 Rs. Let's see if he can repair the PC or not!

Back