[URGENT] Need to buy a wifi router tomorrow

Get 2 x Asus RT-N12 D1. Don't forget to update the firmware, factory firmware is rubbish.
The groove is also 6k, so it fits into your budget too.

The WNDR3400 uses a Broadcom chipset. And v1 of the WN3000RP used a Broadcom, but for v2 they've switched to Mediatek. The WNR2000 uses Atheros.

Original Setup I had (Should come on sale soon now):
Primary: Buffalo WHR HP G300N
Repeaters: Dlink DIR 600 & Dlink DIR 300/ Linksys WRT54G
All running DD WRT various builds based on stability experiences

Tried many routers, various brands, stayed away from the newer AC ones. Begged and borrowed routers from many friends for trials. One was even sent across by a seller on another forum for a try before you buy.

Not fully satisfied with the TP Link, but its better than at least the ASUS RT56U and the Netgear you picked up. I find antenna positioning to help a bit in improvement of coverage area.

Go for a decent router with N300 and plunk in a repeater from Netgear. You should be able to accomdate all in 6K easily.

Also, utilize the 2.5K GV + SBI 2.5K 10% offer to maximize your savings.

Noted. Better to go for a good N300 router rather than try to fit a entry level N600

Get 2 x Asus RT-N12 D1. Don't forget to update the firmware, factory firmware is rubbish.
The groove is also 6k, so it fits into your budget too.

The WNDR3400 uses a Broadcom chipset. And v1 of the WN3000RP used a Broadcom, but for v2 they've switched to Mediatek. The WNR2000 uses Atheros.

@Crazy_Eddy I think I will go by your suggestion. I'll get 2 RT-N12 D1 and use 1 as a repeater. So, I'll be set up in 3600 rather than spending 6k. Hope it turns out all fine. Thanks for all the inputs mate :)

Original Setup I had (Should come on sale soon now):
Primary: Buffalo WHR HP G300N
Repeaters: Dlink DIR 600 & Dlink DIR 300/ Linksys WRT54G
All running DD WRT various builds based on stability experiences

Tried many routers, various brands, stayed away from the newer AC ones. Begged and borrowed routers from many friends for trials. One was even sent across by a seller on another forum for a try before you buy.

Not fully satisfied with the TP Link, but its better than at least the ASUS RT56U and the Netgear you picked up. I find antenna positioning to help a bit in improvement of coverage area.

@axeman Thanks for all the inputs mate. :) You really had a tough time (but a nice experience) by testing so many routers. I think @Crazy_Eddy 's suggestion of using 2 RT-N12 D1 should do the trick and it sets me back only 3.6k[DOUBLEPOST=1411129111][/DOUBLEPOST]@axeman @Crazy_Eddy Btw guys could you help me out with a guide/link on how to make the rt-n12 d1 a repeater? This is my first outing with any router so I am complete noob and have no clues on this (neither does my isp guy) :D

Last edited:
Set up your first router as you did with your earlier netgear.
For the second router - there's a physical switch behind the RT-N12 for different modes - router, ap, repeater. Move the switch to the repeater position and then start it up. Access the router page (you need to be connected via a LAN port) - there's a very simple quick setup guide which will show you a list of available wireless networks - select yours which is the 1st router you setup, enter the WPA2 key, and it's good to go.

Of course before doing all this, physically connect each via a LAN cable to your PC and update their firmware.

@Crazy_Eddy Thanks. So I'll try it out then. Ordered just 1 router atm to check if it sets up fine with the isp first. Don't wanna risk both and try and explain Flipkart why I am returning it. Once that one is all good, I'll order the second and try it out. If not will post here again linking you to help. (Apologies in advance for future troubles) :D

Ordered just 1 router atm to check if it sets up fine with the isp first.
Yeah I was actually going to suggest you pick 1 up first, mainly to test if you're getting a decent signal halfway to the hall.

BTW does the Wii U need internet access for multiplayer or just to log in to an account? If its the former, I hope the wireless latency doesn't affect it badly.

@Crazy_Eddy Getting the Wii U this October. :D I doubt it requires a connection for login. I am sure about the part that it does not use 5 ghz band so I am happy with only a single band router.

@n3nimbus we're in the same boat.
Nearly same requirements as yours minus the wii part.

Just returned Netgear wndr 4300 !!! From Amazon!!
On search of a new router.

More inclination towards 56 u by Asus, going purely by online reviews,
Reasons you're not going for it?

Two other routers I need to mention
Asus 14 u HP @ 6 k
Dlink 850 L @ 5.7 k
Apple airport base station express 6k , no network HDD support though it has USB port !
Did anyone try them, range is most important..

Low cost router with Range extenders isn't great option, you'll need to get a pricey Range extender for adequate results.
So investing on a good routers is better.. Thinking of saving some more money and buying Asus 66ac Later at 14k.

Any suggestions are welcome.

@n3nimbus we're in the same boat.
Nearly same requirements as yours minus the wii part.

Just returned Netgear wndr 4300 !!! From Amazon!!
On search of a new router.

More inclination towards 56 u by Asus, going purely by online reviews,
Reasons you're not going for it?

Two other routers I need to mention
Asus 14 u HP @ 6 k
Dlink 850 L @ 5.7 k
Apple airport base station express 6k , no network HDD support though it has USB port !
Did anyone try them, range is most important..

Low cost router with Range extenders isn't great option, you'll need to get a pricey Range extender for adequate results.
So investing on a good routers is better.. Thinking of saving some more money and buying Asus 66ac Later at 14k.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Mate I got 2 Asus RT-N12 D1. Using 1 as a repeater. Works perfectly. The thing I learned about expensive routers are they do not have any better range than the N300 routers (The Asus one is N300). The only thing better in the expensive routers in the 6k range are they have dual band with 5ghz (which rarely few devices use) and they have additional features security features and maybe a few other gimmicky features. Rather buy any N300 and save money.

Back