PC Peripherals UPS recommendation 1000 VA

calvin1719

Mostly harmless.
Adept
I didn't want to hijack lockhrt999's thread anymore, so starting one here for recos.

I need a 1000 VA UPS for short term backup, just while my society's genset kicks in. The genset takes 5-10 seconds each time the power goes out/comes back, and it's irritating to have my PC shut down. Not to mention possible damage to components.

I've shortlisted (based on availability) these:

APC BX1100-IN for 6600 https://eshop.se.com/in/bx1100c-in.html
Microtek UPS Legend 1000 for 5500 or 5800, depending on whether I get it from Microtek's site or Amazon https://www.amazon.in/Microtek-UPS-Legend-1000VA/dp/B08349YMCP or https://www.microtekdirect.com/ups-legend-1000-70.html

I'm leaning towards APC because it has 5 outputs vs 3 in the Microtek, but I'm not sure if it's worth 1100.

For context, my CPU+GPU peak load is ~300W, and I have a ~50W RMS speaker system. So potentially at full load it would be in the ~450W range, which is why I don't want to get a 600 VA unit.

Last edited:
I use a microtek twin guard pro+ 1000va UPS. Same situation as yours except the generator takes around 20 seconds each time. My PCs peak load is 650W, I have plugged in my internet router and a single monitor. I also have an extension board with 5 pins plugged into it (I don't know if that is safe but haven't had any problems yet) which has a 50w speaker plugged into it. My UPS has just enough power until the gen kicks in. If it takes too long I usually put my computer to sleep.

It must've been. Pretty sure this was around for a couple of years even before I bought it. But it's solid, still works and I am yet to change the battery.

Not answering your question but more of a heads up, I bought a 2200VA unit and it had terrible fan noise when it was under load. Had a few calls n tech visits from APC to get it replaced, new unit is much more silent.

Not answering your question but more of a heads up, I bought a 2200VA unit and it had terrible fan noise when it was under load. Had a few calls n tech visits from APC to get it replaced, new unit is much more silent.
In the other thread also someone mentioned that many people have needed to get replacement batteries/units from APC before their units worked properly. It's a factor in my decision for sure.

I don't even know if there is a fan inside my 1000va unit. Maybe for higher volt-amps?
There would be. You have a transformer in there, and that would need cooling.

True. Well I guess you could get a microtek UPS and connect an extension cord to it. (I still don't know if it is safe).

True. Well I guess you could get a microtek UPS and connect an extension cord to it. (I still don't know if it is safe).

I mean, people say don't do this but I think it's mostly UPS company people wanting to sell more UPSes. I used 2 extension cords chained together with my old APC for years and it was fine.

can you post image of same?
Sorry that was a long time ago in a different house. I'm not using a UPS at the moment at all.

I reconsidered my load requirements and bought a CyberPower BU600E from MD Computers. https://mdcomputers.in/cyberpower-600va-bu600e-in.html
The major selling point for me for this unit was that I can turn the damn beeping off. None of the <10K units from APC or Microtek offer this.

Last edited:
Sorry that was a long time ago in a different house. I'm not using a UPS at the moment at all.

I reconsidered my load requirements and bought a CyberPower BU600E from MD Computers. https://mdcomputers.in/cyberpower-600va-bu600e-in.html
The major selling point for me for this unit was that I can turn the damn beeping off. None of the <10K units from APC or Microtek offer this.
I doubt a 600VA UPS can handle a gaming PC well, unless it is like i3 + 1650 or something. You mentioned 300W load - did you measure it via a wattmeter or something at plug point? Did you include a monitor?

Don't check HWinfo or similar software for numbers. My GPU (~200W) + CPU (~60W) totals to 260W while gaming but my PC's actual power draw is 350-380W on load + additional 25W for monitor, measured at the plug point where UPS connects. My PC's power draw for non-gaming tasks like web browsing is 180-200W (incl. 25W of monitor).

I doubt a 600VA UPS can handle a gaming PC well, unless it is like i3 + 1650 or something. You mentioned 300W load - did you measure it via a wattmeter or something at plug point? Did you include a monitor?

Don't check HWinfo or similar software for numbers. My GPU (~200W) + CPU (~60W) totals to 260W while gaming but my PC's actual power draw is 350-380W on load + additional 25W for monitor, measured at the plug point where UPS connects. My PC's power draw for non-gaming tasks like web browsing is 180-200W (incl. 25W of monitor).
10105f + 970
I didn't measure at the plug, those numbers are from hwinfo and some approximations.

300W for the cpu+gpu is a benchmark load. Even if I'm playing something at the time, it's highly unlikely that it'll be maxing both.
I underestimated how much my PC consumes as well. My flatmate also has a gaming PC which draws upto 200W on non-gaming usage & 400W on gaming (incl. monitor). Our electricity bill doubled when we both shifted to gaming desktop from laptops.

Your CPU is 65W (it might draw 50W+) like mine & GPU is 150W (vs 200W for me). So you are cutting close, but will likely work. You are underestimating power draw of other components like I did. Anyways, you didn't order from, so no turning back anyways.

See what happens.

Back