PC Peripherals UPS power consumption when idle

Inverters and UPSs do waste a lot of energy. Long back, like 15 years ago, there was a news report that in many cities, people putting inverters at home was making the power situation worse. This included Delhi at the time.

I'm in Mumbai and I don't use UPS for any of my PCs. But I have a MAS which runs on HDDs, so unfortunately I have to keep a small UPS plugged in 24x7. Will have to get a smart plug to measure the consumption.
What NAS do you have, and what UPS do you use? I use a Synology DS920 in Mumbai and am looking for UPS options

I have the same issue with the UPS. I don't know if vendors are trying to address this issue or they just don;t care.
I have the same issue with the UPS. I don't know if vendors are trying to address this issue or they just don't care.

If you make the calculations, 20W is a lot of energy. I have plans to install photovoltaics but this is a workaround and not a solution. My whole equipment already installed on the UPS is not consuming 20W. On the other hand, this could be stated as an overhead i have to accept in order to have this feature. On the other hand, i was thinking to drop the UPS and buy commercial Li-ion backup systems (costs $20 or €20) In terms of energy consumption from the UPS, this comes to $60-70 per year of (almost) wasted energy.

Last edited:
Back