UPS for PS3 ?

avvs_2099

Disciple
Need a UPS for a PS3 Slim to beat the Delhi electricity blues!
>What kind of capacity UPS will do? (give volts or watts)
>Budget < 2k
>Will buy from Nehru Place, Delhi.
Thanks beforehand for replying. Cheers.:)

PS3 Slim uses around 80 Watts

PlayStation 3 hardware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any 500va ups will be able to handle the load but only for few minutes. UPS is basically just so that you have time to shutdown your PC/Equipment. If you want backup as well then you can either go for an inverter or a UPS which has the capability to add extra batteries.

An APC 500VA UPS which will set you back by almost 2000-2500. But if you can spend some more bucks you can go APC BR1500IN which will cost around 10K and it has the option to attach extra battery unit for another 7K. The single unit will give you backup for around 1 Hour (on a 100 watt load) and with the extra battery unit around 4 Hours ( on a 100 watt load).

http://www.apcc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500-IN&total_watts=800

Or you can go for an inverter which also cost around the same but will have some extra backup.

Desecrator said:
...How about the backup for the display? Is that provided already?

Naah, the tv will just switch off when light goes. :bleh:

Maybe I will connect that to the UPS. Its a LG jazz 32". will the UPS handle both ps3 and tv?

@prashantrana - repped u

Better go for a 850va ups based inverter. that will be enough for u to play for hours including tv and fan . and will cost less comparing apc ups and extra battery

^^^

I am using the same 850VA, Sukam Inverter / UPS. But trust me, the UPS function is just not as efficient. The switch over time is just too much and your device will shut down before you the line switches over the the backup.

You'll have to have a dedicated UPS for the sensitive devices.

Vasishta.Sushant said:
^^^
I am using the same 850VA, Sukam Inverter / UPS. But trust me, the UPS function is just not as efficient. The switch over time is just too much and your device will shut down before you the line switches over the the backup.

You'll have to have a dedicated UPS for the sensitive devices.

I am using Microtech ups based inverter and its work like charm and never face any issue with switch over time.

Vasishta.Sushant said:
I m using APC 550VA. Bought that for 1.9K
The same thing backs up my PS3 and my PC :p
Hi, thank you all for your replies. Though I am tempted to take the most expensive one, I really need to save as much cash as possible right now. So will take the APC 550 VA one.
Cheers.:hap2:

avvs_2099 said:
Maybe I will connect that to the UPS. Its a LG jazz 32". will the UPS handle both ps3 and tv?

The 550VA UPS should assuming the LCD consumes about 160W and the PS3 slim about 80W. You should get a backup time of barely 10 minutes.

I have a APC BR800IN connected to *hold your breath* - a PS3, a Dell 24incher, the system in my signature, the ISP cable modem, a router and an HDMI display switcher. The PS3 and the PC has never entered into the backup mode by far so I'm not sure if that UPS would handle the load (it should most probably!). :p

Besides, I have stacked everything minus the PS3 and the OC into a big plastic rack. Lacks ventilation but a good way to hide those lousy cables - there's this small hole for the cable entry I'd made on the back of the rack.

@desecrator is your ps3 phat one?? i hav 80gb console that i bought last year and i hav microtech 800va ups..it doesn't give any backup to ma ps3 and it shuts down as soon as lights goes off :(

i use 1kva apc inverter in my house

though powercuts are very rare in my colony few times when electricity did go while playin ps3 it didnt turn off.....i use 40gb phat one with samsung lcd

Sorry to bump this old thread,.

I bought a Intex Protector 725today. It's capacity is
Capacity: 600VA / 360W
I am not sure if I bought the right one or not. Thing connected to my UPS right now:

1) PS3 - 78W
2) 32" Bravia - 115 W
3) Logitech z906 -??
I am kinda confused here. According to this link ,
RMS power output500W
Power consumption on23W

I am not sure which one is applicable in this case. I think its 23W.

4) Belkin Basic n150 - 20W (Assumed)
I don't know it's power usage, but assume it's 20 W.

So all in all I am using 236 W. Will I be able to get atleast 10 mins of backup from this ups. (It's rated for 15 mins)?

I hardly doubt, I had bought a cheap one earlier and it used to give me backup for 3-5 minutes. After some constant switching from direct to backup and vice cersa it went down to less than 30 Seconds and it used to start beeping and switch off. The load was just of a CPU (Pentium 3) and 15" CRT. So online UPS is much better than these offline ones.

What you need to understand is this that load which it can take does not mean that if the load is less will give some extra power backup. For eg if it says that it can take load of 300 watts for 5 minutes, a load of 150 watts will not increase the backup time to 10 minutes, maybe 6-7 minutes. I am speaking that from my personal experience. If you see properly (the link which you have given) it says 1 PC @100 watts for 10-15 minutes, so a full load will naturally drain power more rapidly.

Best is to get an inverter alongwith the UPS (which you have already bought) so the inverter switches to backup in 1-2 seconds by that time UPS kicks in and gives backup for that much time. Later if you can buy go for a online UPS.

Hmm thanks for the reply. I always had a doubt that will reducing the load increases time or not.
I guess i will switch off the system as soon as the power goes. I just bought it to protect HDD in case of Power Failure and avoid PS3 getting bricked in case power goes when a Firmware is Getting updated...

Back