PC Peripherals UPS does not auto shutdown PC.

Ankur.

Disciple
Hello ppl. I recently purchased an APC BE650Y UPS. Plugged in the cables, the USB, installed the PowerChute software for windows XP. The software recognizes the UPS, did a dry run with a power cut and the UPS displays whether the PC is on Power or Battery.
Now I edited the auto shutdown part to "Shutdown my PC when it has been on battery backup power for 5 mins". Did a dry run but the UPS did not shutdown the PC even after it was on for about 7 mins. The box where it says 'Estimated time before shutdown' mentioned the time as -- mins. Why did the UPS not auto shutdown the PC automatically?

Thanks in advance for answering :)

please uninstall the apc s/w and check for any new version from the net,else reinstall the same ,it seems that some problem with your OS files or firewall/AV programs causing the problem.

amd999 said:
please uninstall the apc s/w and check for any new version from the net,else reinstall the same ,it seems that some problem with your OS files or firewall/AV programs causing the problem.
I'm using ZoneAlarm Firewall and Eset Nod32 Antivirus. Are they known to cause problems with the PowerChute software?

P.S. I'll reinstall the software and post back. Thanks!

^ no need to install the software. you can use windows power management to shut down or hibernate the pc automatically using power options. I have the same ups and in 5 mins usage battery goes down from 100 to around 70% i think. The settings in window power options is self explanatory so i'm not putting that here.

6pack said:
^ no need to install the software. you can use windows power management to shut down or hibernate the pc automatically using power options. I have the same ups and in 5 mins usage battery goes down from 100 to around 70% i think. The settings in window power options is self explanatory so i'm not putting that here.
Thanks a ton! That worked :hap2:

Just another question.. lets assume there is a power cut and the UPS automatically hibernates the PC, in that case the UPS would still remain on battery though the PC is off.. eventually the battery would drain out to 0%.. does this hamper the life of the battery in any way?

This issue is not with the Firewall or anything like that. Its due to the APC Powerchute software misbehaving on Vista/Windows 7.

Just uninstall the current version (i think it would be 1.1) and install the 1.0 version designed for windows xp. If u still don't get the time remaining, reset the battery counter in Self test window.
Note: This reset functionality is missing in the version for Vista/Win 7 and u will only get this is u install the version 1.0 for XP.

I had a complaint with APC for this and they said they would be updating the software and they are still doing it...:p

Regarding the battery going dead after shutdown, its not the case. If you have powerchute installed and say it shuts the comp after 5 minutes. After 1-2 minutes, it will automatically put the UPS in sleep mode. And u can schedule the comp to run once power is back, so u need not be present et all. :)
So, battery won't drain out but UPS will go on to sleep...:p

Back