Upgrading to a new router

The reason I mentioned YouTube choking is important because there is spare bandwidth to cache.google.com of about 6Mbps, wheras my web browsing/torrents are limited to 1Mbps. Even with torrents running at full steam I get good speeds and almost zero buffering. Torrents are not the issue. Its when WiFi streaming gets pulled in.

I will eventually use QoS, but for the time being, not planning to.

And finally, I can remove the currently ~10+ lights which keep flashing at night and make it 4 in all.

Power consumption is an afterthought, but I feel that every small bit counts.
6Mbs is nothing for a 100Mbs router.

if you get buffering on your wifi clients with youtube, are the clients getting enough wifi bandwidth to the router. What link speed do you get to the N13 from them ?

@blr_p : He says it happens only when the link is already saturated with LAN traffic from the GoFlex to wired clients, which can very easily reach 100 Mbps.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is his topology

isp--->switch---->Asus N13--->GbE switch (tp-link)---->wired clients (go flex etc)

go flex traffic does not get to the N13, it gets passed around via the tp-link.

Torrent traffic destined for the GFH that passes the N13 is limited to 1Mbs and he has 6Mbs spare WAN capacity. 1Mbs is what the N13 deals with.

So why should other GFH wired traffic affect wifi client youtube playback from the N13 ?

isp--->switch---->Asus N13--->wifi clients (youtube)

My bad, guess I read it wrong. @blr_p

Also, another issue with the GbE switch is that since there is only one line from the N13 to the GbE switch, it kinda gets choked when watching YouTube streams and when WiFi clients pull in data from the GFH or the PC.

@vivek.krishnan : In that case, are you facing the buffering issues on a wireless client or a wired client? Also what is the total throughput across all wireless clients when you are facing this issue?

@blr_p : If its a wired client connected to the Tp-link which is facing the buffering issues, it might be possible that the 100 Mbps link from N13 to TP-Link is saturated when wireless clients pull in data from GFH.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a wired client connected to the Tp-link which is facing the buffering issues, it might be possible that the 100 Mbps link from N13 to TP-Link is saturated when wireless clients pull in data from GFH.
I don't think he has buffering issue with wired clients hooked up to the tp-link.

So its down to wireless clients pulling off the GFH then. If they are mobile they max out at 20Mbs each. Two of those isn't going to be a problem, but more could be. So lets say one youtube vid extra, that will add 6 Mbs.

The N13 still has enough.

Even if he has some g clients in the mix youtube playback should not be affected.

The 100Mbps line WAS getting saturated --> Had checked the bandwidth graphs for the same, topping up at 80+Mbps.

However, I tried a test now, could not see the line getting saturated! Guess will have to check again.[DOUBLEPOST=1370724775][/DOUBLEPOST]WiFi speeds topping out at 60Mbps with WiFi.

Ill need to recheck. I think I made a mistake -- OR apparently the new DD-WRT firmware is limiting WiFi speeds. Shall re-check and update.

I know, but not had the time to play with the WiFi checks. Anyways, if the issue persists on my new setup too, then Ill just sell it off.
Its a gamble buy something new on the 'hope' it solves the problem.

Your tp-link gives you an extra LAN port than the other wifi gbit routers.

And I can reduce the clutter a bit with the new setup, so am all in for it.
Your present setup

isp--->switch---->Asus N13--->GbE switch (tp-link)---->wired clients (go flex etc)

What happens if you do this ?

isp--->GbE switch (tp-link)---->wired clients (go flex etc)

............GbE switch (tp-link)---->Asus N13 (wifi clients)

Your present setup has seperate devices that perform specific functions, this is division of labour.

It makes fault finding easier than if everything was in one device.

^ This is what I suggested earlier, but won't work since the switch doesn't have NAT.

Wifi traffic is bursty, if he's seeing an average 80Mbps, it could easily peak 100Mbps and saturate the 100Mbps N13 - GbE switch link.

Its a gamble buy something new on the 'hope' it solves the problem.

Your tp-link gives you an extra LAN port than the other wifi gbit routers.

I agree its a hope, but thats life :)

Your present setup

What happens if you do this ?

isp--->GbE switch (tp-link)---->wired clients (go flex etc)

............GbE switch (tp-link)---->Asus N13 (wifi clients)

Your present setup has seperate devices that perform specific functions, this is division of labour.

It makes fault finding easier than if everything was in one device.

I did not understand, are you asking me to put a GbE switch before the N13? How will 'NAT'ing take place?

Also, my ISP is still using FE - 100Mbps switches and is unlikely to upgrade to GbE ones soon. So even if I connect the GbE switch, the link speeds will be downgraded to 100Mbps ones as both the router and the switch on the other end are 100Mbps ones.

I shall retest WiFi tomorrow, my mistake was that I assumed it would be pulling in data from the GoFlex alone. Plus the upgrade to the latest DD-WRT!

Also, I think adding a switch is increasing latencies. With heavy LAN usage, accessing the router admin pages too lag pretty severely.

I did not understand, are you asking me to put a GbE switch before the N13? How will 'NAT'ing take place?
All wired clients have static IPs. But it requires you get a 192 address from the ISP. If its coming from a modem then not a problem but if its a cable wallah then it will not work.

Also, my ISP is still using FE - 100Mbps switches and is unlikely to upgrade to GbE ones soon. So even if I connect the GbE switch, the link speeds will be downgraded to 100Mbps ones as both the router and the switch on the other end are 100Mbps ones.
Ah, its cable guy. yes, this will downgrade the connection. Depends how smart the switch is. if two connections are gb then whether the transfer is still gbit or whether just one 100mbit connection downgrades all the others to 100mbit as well.

I take it you have at least cat 5e or cat6 cables hooked up to the tp-link ?

I shall retest WiFi tomorrow, my mistake was that I assumed it would be pulling in data from the GoFlex alone. Plus the upgrade to the latest DD-WRT!
How many wifi clients do you have accessing wifi simultaneoulsy ? second time i'm asking this question.

Also, I think adding a switch is increasing latencies. With heavy LAN usage, accessing the router admin pages too lag pretty severely.
Something is up with your router, if accessing the router on the same net gives a laggy response.

What heavy LAN usage are you doing on a gb network. copying over tens of gigs is a temporary thing, but you are saying the router admin page is laggy all the time ?

It downgrades specific ports to 100mbps. Gigabit ports are not.

I use cat5e.

Clients - 4 phones, 4 laptops, 1 tablet, 1 android mini pc. Out of these usually 2 phones and 2 laptops connected most of the times.

Router is fine. But I think there is some issue somewhere and I can't put my finger on it. LAN and WAN ports were loaded up to 4 download/9 upload MBps. Traffic both ways. In such times the router pages take time to load.

All wired clients have static IPs. But it requires you get a 192 address from the ISP. If its coming from a modem then not a problem but if its a cable wallah then it will not work.

Most ISPs will allot only a single dynamic/static IP per user. Unless the ISP is willing to provide more than 1 IP address which is unlikely, you need a NAT capable device to be connected directly to the ISP line.[DOUBLEPOST=1371105369][/DOUBLEPOST]
Router is fine. But I think there is some issue somewhere and I can't put my finger on it. LAN and WAN ports were loaded up to 4 download/9 upload MBps. Traffic both ways. In such times the router pages take time to load.

Probably the router is under full load at this time. So the router's CPU/Memory may be the bottle neck in this case?

Clients - 4 phones, 4 laptops, 1 tablet, 1 android mini pc. Out of these usually 2 phones and 2 laptops connected most of the times.

See here

Routing throughput measured 93 Mbps WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN.

The RT-N13U had no problem with the maximum simultaneous session test, hitting our test limit of 200 on the first try.

Max download by wifi is 69Mbs

Even if you have all your wifi clients hitting the n13, the max it will put out is 69mbs and that will be shared by the others. Which leaves you 20Mbs for other activity. Your internet only goes to 6Mbs.

Agree that something is hogging your cpu and memory. Maybe memory management with the particular ddwrt packages you are using isn't that tight.

Probably the router is under full load at this time. So the router's CPU/Memory may be the bottle neck in this case?
He's not responded with any tests to confirm either way. What commands to issue to see memory load and cpu load in dd-wrt ?

If it turns out to be the case then he needs to ensure the next router has 50% if not more memory & CPU power. Throughput isn't the issue AFAICT even with the present router.

The hard thing with gauging routers is how much work they can do before they saturate. Run time stress tests are tricky.

Not download for quite sometime - I'll check when TG 20x01 releases in a few hours. Will take a call on the new router by day after tomorrow - got a 10% off eBay coupon - 1500.max.off/4500.min.purchase - which just begs to be used :p

Back