Upgradation queries

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
Hi All,

I have some doubts regarding a partial upgrade of my system. I will be getting a Seasonic SII 520/Corsair Vx 450/Corsair Vx 550 PSU because my curent PSU isn't sufficient after installing a GTS 250.

Now the thing is i will be using this system for a year more, then after that it will be used only to read emails and general browsing. So i figured there is no need to upgrade to a newer platform like the Core i series or an AMD platform. I wanna make a minimum upgrade. I have some queries:

1)i have an E4300 which was overclocked to 3.0GHz on stock cooling. I have decided to go for a CPU cooler and try reaching 3.3-3.5GHz, instead of spending 5.5k on a E7500(which is the only c2d remaining now). I have a CM Elite 330 Cabby, and on searching various forums, i came to realise its too big for my cabby, so i have decided to go for a CM Gemini II S.

My budget for a CPU cooler is max 2.5K, so if there are other Coolers which perform better in that price range and which can fit in my cabby, please let me know.

2)I already have 2 GB of RAM, I have a xfx nvidia 650i Ultra mobo.And i wanna upgrade to a decent 4 GB RAM Kit, now my question is if at all i decide to keep my 2 GB 667 RAM, will using all the 4 RAM slots make the system unstable? i will place them in the dual channel. I have read that the times have to be set the same. I won't be overclocking the RAM, and i don't mind if the RAM speed comes down to 667 for all the sticks.

The RAM config will be like this- 2x1GB+2x2GB.

I will be buying the corsair value select or the OCZ Gold RAM.

I will be running the 1x2GB in dual slots and the 2x2GB in the other dual slots.

Or is it alright if i just buy a 2 GB stick and occupy 3 RAM slots with 4 GB RAM?

I have read a lot, and i'm slightly confused, maybe i can receive some inputs from here :)

Regards

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
I think the Cooler MAster Hyper 212+ will fit in your cabinet and its cooling is very good, especially if you put two fans in push-pull configuration cost is 1.8K here in Bangalore + 450 for a smoked LED Cooler Master Sickleflow series fan, you get a tube of paste with it for free (ceramic paste)

I don't have anything to say about the Dual Channel option as not that wise abut those topics yet, but there shouldn't be any stability issues :)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Review » Page 5 - Conclusion - Overclockers Club

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler Review - Page 13

http://www.coolermaster.in/product.php?product_id=6603&category_id=3566
Hope this helped :ashamed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

Neo-N

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
Mumbai
1) The Gemini II is decent enough for ur requirements. Costs ~ 2K. Spend the additional .5k to get Arctic Silver 5. Costs ~ 400 rupees.

2) For the RAM to work in Dual channel mode, it has to have the same capacity (GB) & same speed (MHz). The best option would be to sell off the 2GB DDR2 667MHz RAM u currently have & invest in 2 DDR2 RAM modules of 2GB each running at 800MHz. Why do u want 6GB RAM.....?? It's a slight overkill.... :p Corsair Value RAMs would be fine.

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
@Alpha17

I went through the CM forum, and i read there that the hyper 212+ won't fit in an elite 330 cabby...

http://forum.coolermaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10807

@nehaladsul

the reason i wanna keep the extra 2 GB RAM is because i'm getting a very low price for it... so instead of selling it for a loss, i might as well keep it and boost the performance significantly...

Neo-N

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
Mumbai
^^ Yeah.... but to make it run in dual channel, u'll need to find 1 more 1GB stick of 667Mhz..... That is not an easy task.... :p

If u put another 1GB RAM stick that runs at 800MHZ, u would be wasting ur money anyway as the mobo will scale it down to run it at 667MHz..... :(

Also, I have a doubt that the 650i won't allow dual channel operations with unmatched RAM sticks....

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
I already have 2x1 GB 667 RAM running in dual... Thought i'll add another two sticks running in the other 2 dual slots... i don't mind running in 667MHz... The question is more on stability...

Plus any suggestions on the cooler or gemini II S is good enough? its got good reviews, just thought there might be other coolers out there within the price range which i may have overlooked

Neo-N

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
Mumbai
Stability won't be an issue..... I don't think it'll be unstable at all. Don't worry on that count.

Also, I already said that the Gemini II is a supercool cooler..... :p Maybe u want other members to vouch for the Gemini II before buying it......!!! Lol :p

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
No offence buddy, i am 95% sure about it... Just wanted to know if i've missed out something else, like ocz vendetta 2... thats all... peace :)

Neo-N

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
Mumbai
nj_gamer said:
No offence buddy, i am 95% sure about it... Just wanted to know if i've missed out something else, like ocz vendetta 2... thats all... peace :)
Lolzzz :)

No mate.... I just said that on a funny note.....

In fact, there are expert members who may guide u to an even better cooler. It is always wise to take number of opinions & then decide. :)