Laptops Unusual Ipad charging issue

nRiTeCh

Skilled
My wife's ipad 9th gen reuses to be charged from two particular wall outlets at my home. Even if its kept for charging the battery percentage doesn't change.
But on the same outlets other electronic devices work just fine- tv, pc, cooler, routers/all other laptops/phones/trimmers/power banks/digicams etc. charging.

There's no earthing etc. issues alls good.

What could be the reasons for such unusual behavior? Its a brand new ipad bought just 5-6 months ago from the US. Facing no battery or any draining issue.

Last edited:
Try plugging in a socket tester to check for neutral and/or earth leakage. I've seen this behaviour in recent months where we'd have all three phases but no neutral.

I don't fully understand how mains AC is supposed to work but we had things work without neutral and other things that wouldn't work.

My wife's ipad 9th gen reuses to be charged from two particular wall outlets at my home. Even if its kept for charging the battery percentage doesn't change.
But on the same outlets other electronic devices work just fine- tv, pc, cooler, routers/all other laptops/phones/trimmers/power banks/digicams etc. charging

What could be the reasons for such unusual behavior? Its a brand new ipad bought just 5-6 months ago from the US. Facing no battery or any draining issue.
Does it work on other outlets? Is the charger rated to accept 240V input?

Try plugging in a socket tester to check for neutral and/or earth leakage. I've seen this behaviour in recent months where we'd have all three phases but no neutral.

I don't fully understand how mains AC is supposed to work but we had things work without neutral and other things that wouldn't work.
Updated main post.. no earthing issues or any reverse live/neutral thing. And as highlighted, all other peripherals/gadgets work just fine except for this ipad charging.
Does it work on other outlets? Is the charger rated to accept 240V input?
Of course, that why I mentioned it refuses to charge on only these 2 outlets.

If you're using the 20W Apple charger that the iPad came with then it's probably not the issue here. Apple chargers are manufactured to very high standards and it doesn't seem plausible that they would be susceptible to electrical inference or noise.

However it does make sense that they would either limit output or outright refuse to function if there's a wiring issue in the socket. Did you try checking with a socket tester? Here are two sockets in the same room, one has a malfunctioning earth or neutral connection even though it's wired up correctly:

photo_2024-05-04 23.30.46.jpeg

photo_2024-05-04 23.31.14.jpeg

Again, I don't fully understand how mains AC works or why there needs to be some voltage potential between neutral and earth, but that's what this socket tester tells me.

Last edited:
If not the grounding issues then issue with charger not making connection with the socket properly. Check if other devices are charging with same charger. If yes then the issue is with wire as well possibly.

Back