Unreal Engine 3.0 VS CryEngine 2

CRY Looks better...though UE3 cant be ignored....Having played the GeOW....it was truly a sight worth playin again.....

Crytek Engine 2.0 will be better than the two due to full support for DirectX 10. Unreal Engine will be having native support for DX10. But it will truly showcase the power of DX9. Also UE3.0 is already multi-platform, Windows, Linux, Mac, XBOX 360 and PS3. Where as Crytek Engine 2.0 is only Windows for now, though there are some rumours for XBOX 360.

If you ask me, this versus comparison between the 2 engines is pointless.Both the engine are ment for different types of renders, the Cryengine 2 is ment for more photorealitic environment and relies alot on ambient shaders and paralax occlussion surfaces where as the Unreal 3 engine renders scenes with alot of specular surfaces and is supposed to give a sci fi look to the game.

F|0ccY said:
If you ask me, this versus comparison between the 2 engines is pointless.Both the engine are ment for different types of renders, the Cryengine 2 is ment for more photorealitic environment and relies alot on ambient shaders and paralax occlussion surfaces where as the Unreal 3 engine renders scenes with alot of specular surfaces and is supposed to give a sci fi look to the game.

Excellent point!

Personally Cry's outdoor showcase gives it the edge lookswise but I can't see it being used in anything but a lot of PC FPSs. Plus I don't think either of the consoles are going to use it an awfull lot.

Unreal 3 on the otherhand I think is a bit more versatile. GeOW uses it. So does Mass Effect. Square Enix have optioned it for a JRPG. So I guess it is a bit more console friendly.

excellent point floccy. so as far as i see, Unreal engine 3 will have more support from FPS's(read: the high tech ones like UT, GoW, etc) whereas the crytek engine will have games that are based in open environments

Cry looks way too better for me, but Unreal will use PhysX so......don't know who will win in the Gameplay.

The differences are so minute(particularly when it comes to models) that I'm willing to bet it has more to do with the developers themselves than the engine. When you consider this, I think UE3 wins since it's been out a lot longer.

UE3 is more on the highpoly dependent engine where are cryengine2 is more on photorealistic side cant say cuz UE3 havnt showd off much ever since GOW(overhyped) was released

You guys are still comparing a DX9 Engine, to DX10.

UE3 has only DX9 shots on the Net, AFAIK. Whereas, CryEngine's shots are DX10.

We need an update from Epic with shots of DX10 revised UE3.

Still, if ut is still on dx 9 then its out of sight. Lets not forget crytek depends on dx10 and ut on dx9. I still say ut is a clear cut winner since its on dx9 and its a big achievement. Cant say much about crytek since its dx10, havent seen dx10 in actually personally. But seeing the ut on dx 9 its kickass

Back