Unlocking Iphone 3GS

aman.pitbull

Skilled
Feb 10, 2007
Navi Mumbai
My brother bought an iPhone 3GS on a contract basis in UK.

He's planning to get it here without terminating the contract since this way it comes out to be a lot cheaper. Is this even possible?

If he can do this I'm telling him to get one for me too.

Can he get it unlocked there(unlocking fee is around 15 and use it in India ?

Any tips to avoid customs for carrying three cellphones(2 Iphones+ 5800Xpress) + a Laptop he'd be carrying with him.

Thanks.

Ragin_Ice

Adept
Jan 25, 2005
Check the 5th and the 6th digit on the box of the iphone, it denotes the week of manufacture. If its 36 or less, you will get an iphone thats unlockable i.e. not with 3.1.x firmware.

malhotraraul

Skilled
Oct 20, 2008
Mumbai / Thane
first of all, most jailbreaks are for free

second, a friend purchased the product there and there is no jailbreak for 3gs 3.1 as of September 09, don't know if there are any developments in October as yet ?

aman.pitbull said:
Is it possible to run an iPhone 3gs unlocked in UK, in India. And can he bring three phones through customs?

make sure you know what ever you are doing, only then go ahead with this, not based on pure assumptions.

Reactions: 1 person

aman.pitbull

Skilled
Feb 10, 2007
Navi Mumbai
Well truth is I don't know what I'm doing I'm familiar with flashing firmware n'all but iPhone is a new thing for me.

My bro's coming to India and he'll get the phone with him. Since the phone's under some contract basis he got it for around Rs.8500~115GBP. His plan is to get it unlocked there itself.

Now will the unlocked phone in UK also work in India?

Ragin_Ice

Adept
Jan 25, 2005
aman.pitbull said:
The iphone's serial number is : 7993955K3NP and part no is MC131B/A so what's your take?

One sec. The serial no. advice was for phones in the stores, so that you can check before you buy them and not end up with a one thats not unlockable.

If you are already on the iphones dashboard, just go to setting > about > and then then post the firmware no.

If its 3.0.x, you are good to go :)

malhotraraul

Skilled
Oct 20, 2008
Mumbai / Thane
Ragin_Ice said:
One sec. The serial no. advice was for phones in the stores, so that you can check before you buy them and not end up with a one thats not unlockable.

If you are already on the iphones dashboard, just go to setting > about > and then then post the firmware no.

If its 3.0.x, you are good to go :)

exactly, make sure the firmware version reads : 3.0(7A341)

mjumrani

Skilled
Aug 18, 2008
New Delhi
tell him to carry 2 of the iphones in his pocket, if anyone asks then he uses both. as for third, since technically there is just one phone being brought into india and the fact that there is no custom duty on mobile phones i dont think there should be any problems. but you'll have to confirm this from somewhere.

Ragin_Ice

Adept
Jan 25, 2005
aman.pitbull said:
It says .. modem firmware 05.11.07.

^
mjumrani - Thanks for sharing the info that there's no custom duty on cellphones.

As of now you are on 3.1

You cannot unlock to use it with any carrier.

mjumrani

Skilled
Aug 18, 2008
New Delhi
Ragin_Ice said:
As of now you are on 3.1

You cannot unlock to use it with any carrier.

if thats the the case the i suggest you dont buy it. atleast not now. iphone OS 3.1 has been jailbroken by apple dev team. but the proper tool is yet to be released.
BTW how much are you getting it for anyways?
if you dont wanna say it here then you can PM me, you see i already own a 3GS(i mean 10 more days till it arrives, but WTH) :D

aman.pitbull

Skilled
Feb 10, 2007
Navi Mumbai
mjumrani said:
if thats the the case the i suggest you dont buy it. atleast not now. iphone OS 3.1 has been jailbroken by apple dev team. but the proper tool is yet to be released.
BTW how much are you getting it for anyways?
if you dont wanna say it here then you can PM me, you see i already own a 3GS(i mean 10 more days till it arrives, but WTH) :D

Well my brother has already bought one for himself and he's not giving me exact details but I think he's paid 45GBP till now and he'll pay 45GBP for next month and then udan choo from there :bleh:.

mjumrani

Skilled
Aug 18, 2008
New Delhi
thts the best way to get an iphone. i mean if i was getting it tht cheap i would buy it n wait for the jailbreak, since im sure it will come.

aman.pitbull

Skilled
Feb 10, 2007
Navi Mumbai
Ok, but how much time will it take for Unlock-Jailbreak to come for 3GS.

And

How much does Unlocking+Jailbreak cost from a shop(alpha for example)in Mumbai/India.

mjumrani

Skilled
Aug 18, 2008
New Delhi
^ jailbreak for OS 3.1 for mac platform is out, but for those phones which would update to OS 3.1. sadly as i read above, yours would come with OS 3.1 as default, so it might take a day, a week, a month... cant say...

the procedure isnt that difficult for jailbreaking. you can google and find the method, if you feel you can do it, then when it comes out, do it yourself. i dunno how much it would cost otherwise.

mine is coming from australia so i dont have to worry about jailbreaking, at least until i feel i need to use the cracked games. i can always restore it after that...