Universal Remote Dilemma

meghna

Disciple
Mar 14, 2008
Mumbai
Getting tired of handling two remotes for my TV and STB... so thinking of getting Universal Remote and turns out it's not as easy at it looks. Took a trip to nearest Croma only to find too many options, and no known brands except couple of Philips remotes. So decided to hit the net and it looked like Logitech Harmony series seems to be reviewed well. But the prices are bit too high, at least in my opinion for my requirements. Ideally, i'd be using just the TV and the STB, in future i might add a receiver / amp. Can't find any reviews for non-branded Universal Remotes, so I'm not sure how intuitive and easy to use those would be. One thing I liked about Harmony is the easy to download profile support and ease of setting it up. So people who are using Universal Remotes here please help me out in selecting correct one for me.

For now I've seen this one particular brand in Croma having many options for Universal Remotes, how good is it?
One-for-All | Universal Electronics

Also couple of Philips remotes, like one below, and another one which I couldn't find on Philips website (it looked like a slider type cell phone)
Philips - Universal remote control 7 out of 10 devices - SRU5170/86 - 5000 series - Remote controls - Accessories

Ideally, I would prefer spending around 1000 rs. to 1500 on higher side. If it has backlit keys, then it would be great. :)

Thanks in advance.

ee2mc2

Recruit
Feb 17, 2009
Just be sure that the universal remote you buy works with the STB you have because my Philips doesn't work with BIGTV STB, I have tried all the codes and every thing even learning feature doesn't seem to work.

SoundsGreat

Disciple
Aug 9, 2009
Bangalore
Hi,

Ideally, I would prefer spending around 1000 rs. to 1500 on higher side. If it has backlit keys, then it would be great.

In the said budget the One for All is what will come !! Its an American brand so there's nothing to worry bout !! you get the same download and other options as Logitech (although same model specific)

Else if you don't want too much of tension and hassles and would like to have simple thing which does the job then can look at some unbranded/relatively less known !

This is one such remote.

Protech UR501

Checkout and see if this helps !

Regards.

vpraveenis

Adept
Jul 8, 2006
I have the One-for-all universal remote for the last 6 months. I dont remember the model, but it's the one which controls upto 5 devices.

It is programmable which means it can be used with devices for which it is not pre-programmed. You can map each key of your set-top box remote to the universal remote.

It also had a macro mode which I found useful. Single key press in the remote can act as multiple key presses. I have programmed a single key to turn on/off my TV, Home theater and set-top box.

Cost was around 1.8k but I feel it was worth it. It did not have backlight though, but I guess the higher models have backlight.

So far I have not had any problems with it. I guess they are available at all leading multi-brand home store