Unique problem!!

thedesolater

Disciple
Hey,
I have a unique problem. I am at IIT Bombay and here we get access to internet through a LAN. Now the problem is they have given only 1 LAN port in a hostel room that houses two guys. CAn I connect my and my room mates laptop through a ethernet switch or hub to the main connection in my room?? Or do I have to buy a router ?
My primary needs are
File Sharing on the LAN in IIT thru DC++ hubs
Gaming over the LAN
Accessing the internet
Can anyone tell me how exactly i can do it??
Thanks.

thedesolater said:
Hey,

I have a unique problem. I am at IIT Bombay and here we get access to internet through a LAN. Now the problem is they have given only 1 LAN port in a hostel room that houses two guys. CAn I connect my and my room mates laptop through a ethernet switch or hub to the main connection in my room?? Or do I have to buy a router ?

My primary needs are

File Sharing on the LAN in IIT thru DC++ hubs

Gaming over the LAN

Accessing the internet

Can anyone tell me how exactly i can do it??

Thanks.

Unless things have changed, the router in your wing will allow only one IP through the port. (10.hostelno.x.yz) (if room number is xyz, etc).

Best thing would be to get a router, let it take that IP. Your and your friend's computer can use DHCP to acquire IPs from the router.

They also take your Mac Address to enable the port in your room. So give the router's mac address.

(Which hostel, btw?)

You dont need to buy router. Simple switch would do the job.

What is the IP addressing scheme ? Dynamic or Static ? My guess is Dynamic.

If it is dynamic then do check that IP is not allocate to specific MAC address.

cisco_tech said:
You dont need to buy router. Simple switch would do the job.

What is the IP addressing scheme ? Dynamic or Static ? My guess is Dynamic.

If it is dynamic then do check that IP is not allocate to specific MAC address.

Like I mentioned in my post, it is a static IP. Each room is assigned an IP and at the start of the year, a MAC address is associated with the IP.

whatsinaname said:
Like I mentioned in my post, it is a static IP. Each room is assigned an IP and at the start of the year, a MAC address is associated with the IP.

Sorry I didnt refresh the page before i post it. :)
I guess then Router will do the Job.

I never had the chance to get more than one pc at one place at one time ...so never have tried this out before....
people passing snide remarks abt hw i got into iit.....(i have just got in btw) they dont teach this stuff at iit or before it ,so I can learn things only by asking people stuff.....
I couldnt understand whether what i found on google would be feasible...hence this post.....
(Which hostel, btw?)
I am in H2.
Thanks whatsinaname.... i will try out the router thing...

thedesolater said:
I never had the chance to get more than one pc at one place at one time ...so never have tried this out before....
people passing snide remarks abt hw i got into iit.....(i have just got in btw) they dont teach this stuff at iit or before it ,so I can learn things only by asking people stuff.....
I couldnt understand whether what i found on google would be feasible...hence this post.....

I am in H2.
Thanks whatsinaname.... i will try out the router thing...

No problem.

When two of my wingies had this problem in first year, they just ran a cable from the neighbouring room. I take it all freshies have computers now, so that may not work for you.

whatsinaname said:
No problem.

When two of my wingies had this problem in first year, they just ran a cable from the neighbouring room. I take it all freshies have computers now, so that may not work for you.

I can do that....my neighbour stays in my room 80-% of time ... but i would want a more permanent solution..... what kind of prices can i expect for a router.....???

I have now got a router Microsoft MN100...
I am facing a problem while configuring it.
I have a static ip and also have a proxy where i am supposed to enter a username and passsword.
But i am unable to find username and password fileds under the static ip settings in the router base system management....
Pls help....

thedesolater said:
I have now got a router Microsoft MN100...
I am facing a problem while configuring it.
I have a static ip and also have a proxy where i am supposed to enter a username and passsword.
But i am unable to find username and password fileds under the static ip settings in the router base system management....
Pls help....

Set those up in the browser you are using. It's not a good idea to put your login:password into the router. You and your roommate will have different proxy server login details.

Back