Unable to Edit OP in Classifieds

As the title suggests, I can't edit the original post for my clearance sale thread in the classifieds section. I wanted to strike out items which had been sold but can't find the option to edit and do so.

Am I missing certain privileges or is my vision failing me?

Oh, got it. I guess people did it within the edit time in the posts I've seen. It does seem like a very helpful feature to have for updating prices and availability, especially in the case of multi-item threads.

Thank you for the clarification @ibose :)

It does seem like a very helpful feature to have for updating prices and availability, especially in the case of multi-item threads.
Some people abused the feature to wipe any details of item listed including price/pictures/description etc. after the sale of the item. Even the title is removed and you can't even tell what was the thread about.
Their reason: it got sold so no one else needs to look at it anymore.

Here's a perfect example: https://techenclave.com/threads/sold.192452/ and https://techenclave.com/threads/sold.192931/

There's also another reason to keep it all at least for a couple weeks.
What if there's a dispute in item condition and it's not as described or something else?

It's safer for the seller to keep this record in public. Removing everything looks like they're trying to hide something.

I believe if the OP is going to be locked, then there should be an option to at least pin one editable post below the OP where you can post the updates. It keeps things clean and updated. Scrolling through pages to find the latest update is not ideal for anyone.

@t3chg33k That is true and many forums follow that practice.
OP
Reserved post by OP
...other posts

This would be ideal but then again sometimes people add new items and when adding new items to 2nd post while it being forever editable we're back to square one since they can edit and remove details when sold.

Some people abused the feature to wipe any details of item listed including price/pictures/description etc. after the sale of the item. Even the title is removed and you can't even tell what was the thread about.
Once items got sold why even bother about what price it got sold, the pics and its description? What's the logic when the sale is successful?
Their reason: it got sold so no one else needs to look at it anymore.
Exactly! Why bother to look at a stale thread once the dela is over?
There's also another reason to keep it all at least for a couple weeks.
What if there's a dispute in item condition and it's not as described or something else?
A rule can be made in that regards but edit option should always be available esp. valid for multiple sale items where the seller needs to mark such items sold and update the others and so on.

@ashish You're in so much of a rush to reply that you didn't even bother to read my other post below that.
Nice quick edit you made to include my other post in your reply again...
Anyways, reasons are perfectly explained, the community understands it, the moderators understand it and hence the rule is enforced!

A record should be there on this site. There's feedback system which is placed here and when you exchange feedback that feedback is linked to a thread. What's the point of it when that thread is empty?
It is the fault of some members that a free edit option is not provided after some time because they don't want to follow rules. If all community members have to suffer due to it for the safety of them so be it.

Will you take the responsibility of any member's sale thread and buyer's protection if some fraud is done and evidence on threads is removed? No! So manage with whatever we got here, it's basically free so don't complain.

A record should be there on this site. There's feedback system which is placed here and when you exchange feedback that feedback is linked to a thread. What's the point of it when that thread is empty?
How many such threads are empty? Such older sale threads can be purged or archived. What are you going to do about such threads after say 5 or10 years down? Is this going to act as some govt. records and benefit you?

It is the fault of some members that a free edit option is not provided after some time because they don't want to follow rules. If all community members have to suffer due to it for the safety of them so be it.
Ok, for such members the edit button should get disabled while for the rest of the genuine members which I'm sure constitutes a larger percentage should suffer.
Esp. now that even bumping is barred! The only option is to keep opening repetitive sale threads for the same items until the items get sold.

Will you take the responsibility of any member's sale thread and buyer's protection if some fraud is done and evidence on threads is removed? No!
Can't you read what I mentioned "upon a successful deal" ?

So manage with whatever we got here, it's basically free so don't complain.
Where you saw me complaining here? Nobody is!

@t3chg33k That is true and many forums follow that practice.
OP
Reserved post by OP
...other posts

This would be ideal but then again sometimes people add new items and when adding new items to 2nd post while it being forever editable we're back to square one since they can edit and remove details when sold.
The rule could be set up to prevent any items from being added in the second post after the OP is locked for editing, so that it is limited to pricing updates for unsold items.

Back