Unable to dual-boot Windows 7 with Vista

Tarcxy

Disciple
Hi guys,
I am trying to install Win7 in dual boot. I have 5 "Simple Volumes". I formatted one of these of size 56GB to install Win7 here.
Now I enter Win7 setup. It doesnt allow me to select this volume for Windows installation. When I select this drive, it says something like "Windows cannot Be installed in this volume. This volume contains one or more dynamic volumes on which installation cannot be done"
It only allows my C: to be selected where Vista is already installed.
Below is my computer mgmt screenshot. Please help me guys. I wish I could dual boot with Win7 and Vista.

Ok here is what I have found.

I am attaching 2 images of the screen shots of different repros.

Dynamic1.jpg

Dynamic2.jpg

Scenario 1 -

Dynamic1.jpg - This has Disk0(Dynamic Disk) with XP installed on Partition1 9.8GB partition which is as

shown as System partition. I convert the Disk0 to dynamic and boot into Win7 CD and i am unable to install on that simple volume. It doesnt allow me to install it on Partition1 as XP is installed on it.

Scenario 2-

Dynamic2.jpg - Here I add another disk to the XP system convert it to

Dynamic from within XP and boot to Win7 CD. Now the XP disk which is

Disk0 is shown as Disk1 and the new Disk is shown as Disk0(This disk was basic and Volume-System reserved got created when I tried to install it Win7 with only this disk connected with basic partition but i canceled the installation and had converted the disk to dynamic in XP)

So now as per the image if you see it allows me to install on the dynamic partition of 9.8GB as against Scenario 1. Why ? Because I formatted it. So now i dont have XP on it.

But then still its a Dynamic partition so why does it let me install now?

Because its a system partition.

So what I understand from this is, it will allow you to install on Dynamic Simple Volume which is a System Partition from before(meaning when you had created a first partition to install the previous OS which made it a system partition and after installing the OS you had converted it to Dynamic Disk)

So in your case it will not allow to install on that other Dynamic volume as its not a system partition.

If I do come up with any more information will let you know.

Attachments

• Dynamic1.jpg
    Dynamic1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Dynamic2.jpg
    Dynamic2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 71
Thanx for replies tush.
I was finally able to boot with Win7. But not dual-boot. (I resolved it long back. apologies for such a late reply)

It seems dynamic disks supports only one installation. You cant install more than one OS. Not too sure whether its something to do with the System partition thing. When the OS is installed, user can convert it to dynamic. It will be basic by default. I dont know hw mine got converted to dynamic.

Anyway now to install win7, i had to either format C: alone and fresh install Win7 there. Or delete all partitions, convert to basic and then install Win7. I chose to convert it to basic, to be safe in future. I backed up all data. Deleted all partitions except C drive. Inserted and booted via vista cd and then converted the disk to basic using diskpart.exe.

ANd as far as xp goes download the virtualXP frm Microsoft... Its a special feature on win 7 only...

dont dual boot..

Back