Budget 51-70k Ultrabook with 3rd Gen i7 processor

karan812

Beer connoisseur
Disciple
I travel a lot (A LOT) and I need a notebook (a tablet won't cut it; I've tried). Though my usage is not extremely heavy, I would like the notebook to have a good amount of power. The most important thing is that it should be light, so an ultrabook would be perfect.

Price is not really an issue. I'm looking to stick to around 80k or below. Screen should be either 13.3" or 14". Discrete graphics is a plus, but not a requirement (I'm sure I won't find it in this price bracket anyway). There are so many new models and I'm so lost about their availability that I would love your inputs.

Recommendations?

Am in the same boat, but looking to get one from US as they are much cheaper.

Right now am looking at Acer Aspire S5. For around $1000, you get 3rd Gen i7, 256GB SSD set up in RAID0 and one of the slimmest chassis in the market. Performance wise, it is one of the best Ultraportable out there. Unless you specifically want 1080p screen, this is the laptop to buy.

There is also the S7 with breathing looks and a full HD IPS display, buy the same configuration will cost $1600+.

Go for the Z500, its an i5 however. 51K. @irfanlai bought one and I am getting one tomorrow. Else there is an AMD A8 Lenovo S405 which is amazing too, AMD A8-4555 Trinity. 4GB of RAM soldered, you can add more memory via 1 slot.

- - - Updated - - -

and the lenovo costs 36K wonly. UltraThin.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can skip the touchscreen, The asus x32VD is for you.
It has a seperate gpu, and one of the best ultrabook screens. Google it :bleh:

If you can skip the touchscreen, The asus x32VD is for you.
It has a seperate gpu, and one of the best ultrabook screens. Google it :bleh:

Again, this looks fantastic, but I haven't seen it anywhere. I just visited a Croma near me and neither the Yoga 13 or any Asus ultrabooks were on display. They had an old Acer S3, an HP Envy and a couple of Dells. Looks like I'll need to go to Lamington Road one day and look for all of these.

Again, this looks fantastic, but I haven't seen it anywhere. I just visited a Croma near me and neither the Yoga 13 or any Asus ultrabooks were on display. They had an old Acer S3, an HP Envy and a couple of Dells. Looks like I'll need to go to Lamington Road one day and look for all of these.

I don't know where you are located but here in Ahmedabad (Gujarat), YOGA is on display in various LENOVO stores in Malls.

Did you guys pick something up? I'm in the same boat but looking to get one from the US since its much cheaper. Looking at $1000 or less.

Does it really make too much of a difference getting one with a touch screen? I already have the iPad and getting the former would mean possibly letting the pad go. Thoughts?

Did you guys pick something up? I'm in the same boat but looking to get one from the US since its much cheaper. Looking at $1000 or less.

Does it really make too much of a difference getting one with a touch screen? I already have the iPad and getting the former would mean possibly letting the pad go. Thoughts?

It's just one of those things, once you use touch, you expect and want it everywhere. Till now there wasn't a fully featured OS that was designed for touch. Now that there is, there is no going back. On my desktop I keep touching the monitor instinctively and coming out frustrated when it doesn't respond! Personally, I wouldn't even consider a machine without touch or Windows 8, unless it was for a niche purpose where touch is no use. Be warned that many would be dismissive about touch - just like in the mid-80s most experts called mouse a gimmick. You should give it a fair try for yourself.

The most important thing to realize that touch is not a replacement but an enhancement. You will still use your keyboard and to a lesser extent touchpad, but touch makes a lot of things easier and more pleasant. Obviously when you require precision - many productivity situations in Desktop - touch isn't as useful, so it depends on your usage.

If you wanna pick something up from US, I would suggest you Lenovo as they carry International Warranty. I asked at a Lenovo Store today and they told me they honor international warranty if the same product is sold in India. Then I looked through their catalog and nearly every option available in the US was available here.

Also you can check on their website as well, which all laptops will have warranty in India.

Back