Storage Solutions Ultimate debate over storage media : Hard disk vs DVD-R

zhopudey said:
Comeon, this guy is talkin of 100 gigs a month. You think the solution is gonna be free? :p

Actually its more than that, as i share it with others, anyways, as of now, i am going to buy a 500 gig hdd... and another one after 3 months..... although i will move towards NAS or a media server very shortly..... i can make my download rig into a media server..... infact i recently posted a thread asking for suggestions for making a compact media center type set - moderately cheap...

So, how is the seagate 500 gig performance, i heard 7200.11 coming with 2 250gig platters... but i cannot wait as of now....

neomustdie said:
i can make my download rig into a media server..... infact i recently posted a thread asking for suggestions for making a compact media center type set - moderately cheap...

Media Center != Media Server :D

A media center/htpc has to be small, look good, and blend into your living room. A server only has to be big enough to hold all your hard disks, with plenty of fans to keep them cool. It can be ugly and cheap :p

hey neo . i think u already have 200 gb hdd if i remember correctly :)

use blank dvd media ..panasonic branded . made by moserbaer . 8.50 rs each:eek:hyeah:

zhopudey said:
Media Center != Media Server :D

A media center/htpc has to be small, look good, and blend into your living room. A server only has to be big enough to hold all your hard disks, with plenty of fans to keep them cool. It can be ugly and cheap :p

i meant media center and not server.... typo error:tongue: :tongue: ... what i meant was

- Have a small cabby fitted with amd dual core (coz they are cheap) as a download rig and connect it to the home LCD and the speakers.
- Also connect it to my main rig, which will hold my HDD stack (yeah, i already have a 320 + 200 + 40 + 80 + 40 gigs and will buy a 500 gigs every third month or so starting next week onwards)
- Cant keep the HDD stack on download rig cum media center coz its ON 24*7
- HDD will be used for storing Hi def videos and mp3. DVDrips and mpegs can be writttern off on the DVD. Dont care about them much, as it takes only 3-4 hrs to download a 700 mb file

:bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

IMHO, the fact that you are downloading around 100 gb a month :hap2: doesn't make it practical for you to invest in hdd after hdd...

I was facing the same problem. I've now got around 200-250 movies, all the seasons of popular sitcoms like LOST, Friends, HEROES, Prison Break etc. plus setups of all recent games... Now the reason I decided to switch to optical media was the fact that I'm not going to access all of them EVERYDAY!!

So, for once in a while viewing, it's perfectly okay. The only drawback which I feel is that you have to keep the entire setup organized. I've numbered each dvd, dont lend to just anyone, be a little careful while handling the discs... That's about it...:clap: :clap: :hap2: :hap2: :thumb: :thumb:

Can someone explain this observation? Many people include myself have downloaded loads of TV series, movies, anime. I guess this compromises GBs of data. Well, every day new series, movies, anime gets released which we download as they come. Once you watch them, it is just stored just to make a collection. No one wants to delete stuff which takes many overnights to download. It many computer-hours put to toil to download it. But how many over has the time to see it second time. I mean with so many new stuff coming out, theres hardly time for replaying. After all, one day consists only of 24 hours. Besides, I got loads of friends around who store the SAME stuff on their hard disk. As in, I ask how many over here has Heroes series?? I bet someone living two buildings besides mine has it stored. So here's my conclusion.....

I download, I watch, I delete......I don't get time to see it second time as there's too much new stuff coming out. If ever, I get time I will ask one of my friend to pass it to me. Hence, I don't need to store much. Hence this topic is useless for me..:hap2: :hap2: :hap2: :hap2: :hap2: Problem 4ever solved. I am happy with my 160GB HDD.

evilution said:
Can someone explain this observation? Many people include myself have downloaded loads of TV series, movies, anime. I guess this compromises GBs of data. Well, every day new series, movies, anime gets released which we download as they come. Once you watch them, it is just stored just to make a collection. No one wants to delete stuff which takes many overnights to download. It many computer-hours put to toil to download it. But how many over has the time to see it second time. I mean with so many new stuff coming out, theres hardly time for replaying. After all, one day consists only of 24 hours. Besides, I got loads of friends around who store the SAME stuff on their hard disk. As in, I ask how many over here has Heroes series?? I bet someone living two buildings besides mine has it stored. So here's my conclusion.....

I download, I watch, I delete......I don't get time to see it second time as there's too much new stuff coming out. If ever, I get time I will ask one of my friend to pass it to me. Hence, I don't need to store much. Hence this topic is useless for me..:hap2: :hap2: :hap2: :hap2: :hap2: Problem 4ever solved. I am happy with my 160GB HDD.

Well said, dude!

Yup, you're right :) I only keep those movies which I feel I'll watch again. Amongst serials, I've only kept friends, rest all is watch and delete.

siddharth said:
IMHO, the fact that you are downloading around 100 gb a month :hap2: doesn't make it practical for you to invest in hdd after hdd...

I was facing the same problem. I've now got around 200-250 movies, all the seasons of popular sitcoms like LOST, Friends, HEROES, Prison Break etc. plus setups of all recent games... Now the reason I decided to switch to optical media was the fact that I'm not going to access all of them EVERYDAY!!

So, for once in a while viewing, it's perfectly okay. The only drawback which I feel is that you have to keep the entire setup organized. I've numbered each dvd, dont lend to just anyone, be a little careful while handling the discs... That's about it...:clap: :clap: :hap2: :hap2: :thumb: :thumb:

:ashamed: :ashamed: i guess so.... but i gonna have a couple of 500 gigs anyway.... i need it for future...... i will decide ina couple of months, which approach to follow....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

200mph said:
^ i see a good movie collection building there . wht stuff you downloading ??? eng / hindi ???

:hap2: :hap2: :hap2: The collection ranges from near thousand dvdrips to couple of hundreds of high def movies to selected audio discographies / documentaries / TV series.....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
evilution said:

Well i do the same thing for p0rn.... anything else, i would rather like to preserve it. Hence before downloading, i check imdb ratings, reviews and other sources so that its something i have interest in.

neomustdie said:
will buy a 500 gigs every third month or so starting next week onwards

What you should do is buy only ENTERPRISE class HDDs to ensure that your data has a better chance to be safe.... here is one...

WD RE 500 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD5000ABYS )

SATA Hard Drives
500 GB, 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM

1 Million Hours MTBF
Server-class
5-year Limited Warranty

The best combination of high-reliability and high-capacity, combined with a 5-year limited warranty make these the perfect solution for your enterprise storage needs.

WD RE 500 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD5000ABYS )

These may be other brands too - check them out. I have a Maxtor Maxline PLUS 2 250gb Enterprise class IDE HDD and it is a very nice solid HDD.

yea plus WD enterprise drives like RE2 and raptors come with 5 year warranty instead of the regular 3

Back