Linux [Ubuntu 9.10] Booting issue related to display

Hey guys..I am new to Linux...installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my desktop, dual boot with Windows XP...have Nvidia 7950GT graphic card for display...initially it booted normally and display was also fine, but then I wanted to use 'Extra Effects' in Visual Settings, for which I was asked to download/enable some nvidia related setting or file...which I did..then I was prompted to reboot for changes to take place, but since then every time time i try to boot into Ubuntu, the white colored ubuntu logo shows up and then nothing after that...screen remains black..I went into recovery mode but had no clue about what to do there...
So help me fix this issue guys..

once you get into recovery console, do:

Code:
cd /etc/X11

sudo mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.mybackup

Then reboot, you should at least have your basic windows back...

Now check which version of driver you have installed there are different versions and I think for your slightly older card model you need older driver .... good luck

thanks for the reply but I reinstalled Ubuntu...I tried installing nvidia drivers with different method but failed nd resulted in another booting issue, when I used to select ubuntu from the boot menu it would take me into tty1 instead of normal graphical OS....tried a few things dint work, so reinstalled the OS again...have many more doubts related to the OS..

the latest version of this OS has issues. Use an older version of Ubuntu, you will be just fine.

use 9.04 and update it. its good, stable. i am using it.

i have downloaded 9.10 but after reading comments here, i havnt upgraded yet.

k..will try that out..hope it makes life easier for me..

Installed Ubuntu 9.04 and things are going smooth so far...but still have one issue...

I am not able to create new file or folder in the File System, thats the Ubuntu partition...according to the error I do not have the permission to do so. Wanted ur advice as to how can I get around it?

Which filesystem is that ? Is it Desktop ?

Check the permission of the dir thru shell/terminal. That should tell you the problem, if it is related to permission.

rajndra said:
Which filesystem is that ? Is it Desktop ?
File System that has all the Ubuntu files...like /boot, /dev, etc.
rajndra said:
Check the permission of the dir thru shell/terminal. That should tell you the problem, if it is related to permission.
Not sure about what u trying to say..could u be a little more specific or explain it in detail..thanks

harish_21_10 said:
File System that has all the Ubuntu files...like /boot, /dev, etc.

Not sure about what u trying to say..could u be a little more specific or explain it in detail..thanks

see, normally, every user has a folder under the directory /home

so, say you have created a user named harish while installing ubuntu, then you will have a folder like /home/harish

so you normally have permissions to do stuff only in that folder..like save songs, photos, movies or other documents etc.

BUT, if you want to do some changes [add/delete the files/folders] in other folders [besides your folder in /home] then you need to have permissions to do so.

and to change the existing permissions, you need to be logged in as a root user [or administrator in terms of windows].

if you want to do that [i.e. log in as a root user], open a terminal [Applications > Accessories > Terminal]

type this command: sudo password
hit enter.
now enter ur current password.
then u will be prompted for new password for UNIX i.e. for root
enter the password you want there.

this will se a password for the root user.

now next time you want to login as root, you can either login @ start while you boot
or
enter this command in terminal: su -
and enter root's password.

in terminal, when you want to logout of current user, enter Ctrl+D

if you want to change permissions, you have to use command called 'chmod'... google it and read about it.
but dont try it on directories you dont know anything about.

Hope this helps. :hap2:

I am also relatively new to linux. :ashamed:

oh, and to check the current permissions, enter this command: ls -l
it lists the permissions of all the files & folders in the current folder

google to get more of that info..
if any further doubts, ask here :)

RVK2488 said:
type this command: sudo password
hit enter.
Dint work,heres what I get:
Code:
sudo: password: command not found

RVK2488 said:
enter this command in terminal: su -
and enter root's password.
Dint work either:
Code:
su: Authentication failure

RVK2488 said:
if you want to change permissions, you have to use command called 'chmod'... google it and read about it.
but dont try it on directories you dont know anything about.
will look for that...thanks for all the info here...

RVK2488 said:
oh, and to check the current permissions, enter this command: ls -l
it lists the permissions of all the files & folders in the current folder
Tried and worked....just as u mentioned, I have permission for making changes in the user folder only...

harish_21_10 said:
was able to login to root.but what am I supposed to do now?I mean how would it, logging in to root, help?

you can change any permissions you want using root

but it wont be necessary for you right now. coz u can save/create files in your /home folder

in any case extra knowledge wont harm :cool2:

harish_21_10 said:
true...

I needed to change the permission to make changes to the boot file...

as far as possible, make changes in such files only thru root user. dont change permissions of such files and make it accessible outside root level.

just my 2 cents.

reading about chmod now...going through a guide related to permissions...

I had another query...now that I have updated my Ubuntu 9.04, I get two new options in the boot menu, the updated version option...so wanted to know about how do I remove the boot options of the previous version or say previous kernel version option that i had before the update was done..did I confuse u?

Back