Two (2) ISP's On One (1) Computer ??

Euro_Rules

Disciple
I want to know if it's possible to have another connection beside my current one, so here's the deal
i have a network connection through my Lan-1 with let's say ISP-A (Local Connection - One to One ), witha network. So is it possible to have another connection to the internet with a different ISP say ISP-B (MTNL Broadband) through LAN-2, and having them both running at the same time, so flashget is using LAN-1 and utorrent is using LAN-2?? :huh:

yes seems possible provided you have two nic cards.donno how windows processes will manage the networking part.maybe you might have to configure them individually like dhcp
,subnet mask etc.

Its not possible unless you use Vmware
In normal setup, one lancard will always take priority, so if u have two PPPOE dialers for each ISP, both will dial to the highest priority lancard and the right one will get connected

In Vmware its possible dialing each connection from 2 OSs ( one primary and other virtual)

Hey Guys my problem get solved :hap2:
I simply googled it & find solution

Thanks for your suggestions :thanx:

Now I m Enjoying My Dual Network Connections :jumpy:

Euro_Rules said:
Hey Guys my problem get solved :hap2:

I simply googled it & find solution

Thanks for your suggestions :thanx:

Now I m Enjoying My Dual Network Connections :jumpy:

Please post the solution for everyone. Everyone can "google", but it's better to know that the method we are trying worked on someone's PC.

Here is the Solution ..
Code:
Yes this is doable with two routers, what I call a poor mans solution.

For those with the luxury of two ISP connections, (hopefully from different sources and thus having redundancy) the following is provided as a "low cost" method of sharing the connections and providing one LAN (an alternative to purchasing a dual or multi-wan router).

1. Decide on which Router is going to be your PRIMARY/Master Router - which will be used for routing functions including DHCP serving. Typically the more stable, firmware featured and higher throughput unit is chosen as the Primary Router.
You will need to note the Primary Routers' LANIP structure, including the DYNAMIC DHCP Pool it assigns, its own LANIP, and its subnet mask. One does not have to make any changes to this router unless, as per the example below, you wish to adjust its Dynamic DHCP pool range.

2. The other (Slave) router will maintain its Internet ISP connection as per normal. However, this router will NOT be DHCP serving and the following changes will need to be made:
a. Turn "DHCP OFF",
b. MANUALLY ASSIGN A LANIP WITHIN THE SUBNET OF THE Primary Router but outside the Primary Routers' DHCP pool.
c. MANUALLY ASSIGN SUBNET MASK TO MATCH Primary Router, and
d. RIP/UPNP should be turned off.

3. Physically connect each router together via ethernet, LAN port to LAN port (single cable path not critical, ie can be through a switch/patch panel etc).

4. One now has both routers setup to provide internet connectivity to PCs attached to either router. How the PCs are setup (internet connection properties via the Operating System) will determine which router they will get their internet from. In other words, to which router they are physically 'cable-connected', does NOT determine the ISP being used (WAN input).

5. Setting up the PCs is required and may be accomplished as follows:

a. PRIMARY ROUTER - If you want your PCs to get their internet from this router, simply setup your PCs/Laptops etc to get their connection AUTOMATICALLY (as most NIC Cards are defaulted to do).

b. SECONDARY ROUTER - If you want your PCs to get their internet from the slave router, you will have to MANUALLY ASSIGN their associated NIC Cards (internet connection properties) with the necessary parameters as follows:

i. A LANIP within the subnet of the PRIMARY ROUTER but outside the Primary Routers' dynamic dhcp pool,
ii. A subnet mask to match that of the Rrimary Router, and
(i and ii to be on the same LAN)
iii. The GATEWAY will be the LANIP of the Secondary/Slaver router.

6. Now one should have all their PCs up and running and communicating with ISPs corresponding to the respective NIC Card user directed setup parameters (Local Area Connection Properties/Internet Protocol TCP/IP Properties). Most importantly, all PCs are on one big happy LAN.

****Be advised that ONE CAN ONLY FORWARD PORTS from the PRIMARY/Master router.

7. Depending upon the Routers' firmware capabilities, and assuming one is using separately sourced ISPs, either ISP can provide service for all PCs, in the event that the other ISP service is not available.
Two methods are most likely:

a. Automatic - Some routers (zyxel with zynos firmware) have the firmware option called "TRAFFIC REDIRECT" or something similar which allows the user to state a backup Gateway for the PCs to connect through.

b. Manual - Admin will have to enter in the Local Connection Properties/Internet Protocol Properties of non-internet capable PCs and make the necessary changes depending upon which Router is still getting ISP traffic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example of two WANS and two routers setup:

PRIMARY/Master Router
LAN IP 192.168.1.1
old Dynamic DHCP Pool 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.xx
subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Will need to change Dynamic DHCP pool
new DCHP Pool 192.168.1.33 - 192.168.1.xx (for example)
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

SECONDARY/Slave Router
old LAN IP 192.168.0.1 -or any other default

Will need to change secondary router LAN IP to be within subnet of primary.
new LAN IP 192.168.1.2 (note now outside DHCP pool of primary)
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

PCs that User wants to connect to PRIMARY Router ISP:
Go to Local Area Connection Properties/Internet Protocol Properties (TCP/IP) and ensure the following is selected;
-Obtain IP Address Automatically,
-Obtain DNS Servers Automatically.

PCs that User wants to connect to SECONDARY Router ISP:
Go to Local Area Connection Properties/Internet Protocol Properties (TCP/IP) and input the following;
-Manually Assign Gateway as 192.168.1.2
-Manually Assign subnet mask 255.255.255.0
-Manualy Assign LANIP as follows:
PC A-192.168.1.3
PC B-192.168.1.4
PC C-192.168.1.5 etc etc...

Good luck!

Here is the link :p

@Euro still it does not tell how to use both connections on a single PC and at same time? Or did I miss something?

You did not miss anything, afaict that link mentions redundnacy but not using both connections at the same time.

Isn't this a very clear-cut procedure?

You get 2 NICs and configure each of them separately like you would any.
Their respective PPPOE dialers will only connect via their NIC once a username/password and IP match has been made.

Or am I missing something?

saumilsingh said:
Or am I missing something?
I think windows picks one of the two (not sure what the criteria is for that decison) as the main connection. The other one remains unused until the primary fails and then windows switches over.

Now if there was some way to bind the app to a specific NIC, then I think there could be simultaneous use of the connections. All will be confirmed when Euro_Rules reports back.

You can use something called connection Teaming the only application i found back when i was trying to achieve something similar was MidPoint from MidCore. The company site is not coming up but i was successful in teaming 4 connection and get the output but download was not that fast.

Anyways i will give a brief of how one can achieve this as the application was crap and 90% of the time it used to pickup the first connection only.
One can setup up few proxy servers each proxy will have a different source of ISP and set the individual application on different proxy servers i.e IE on one proxy your download manager on different and your torrent client on something else. But this will require multiple hardware or one can always utilize VMware for this purpose if you know how which is quite simple i would say. Google for some good Proxy OS and you should be set. But teaming the both and getting X2 output not possible.
Think you try to team up 2 connection & try to login to TE which IP will it log you on as do you think one connection will download half the page and the other the rest of the page or if someone figures out how to achieve the same hope you guys get the point.

search for peplink on this site: KVM Switch Solutions IT | KVM Over IP Products | Data Center Solutions | IT Solutions...

Peplink manufactures dual wan network aggregating routers. so using it you can add two or more adsl, etc connections. But price is bit costly. Just a search on google gave a price of around 30k for such a device :S

Edit: just remembered this. @Andrew, with teaming you will get only redundancy in internet connection. Meaning if you team up two or more connections, at all times only one connection will be in use and bandwidth of other connections will be on standby.

This technology allows you to group network adapter ports for a connection to a single physical segment. If connectivity through one port is not working, another port is activated automatically. This operation is transparent to the operating system and other devices on the network.
And something for free provided you know something about FreeBSD: How to Aggregate the Bandwidth of Multiple Internet Connections using FreeBSD 4.x

Back