TV from Singapore

sh@sh!

Adept
Hi Guys,
Coming here after quite sometime, this query is regarding getting a TV from Singapore, I looked through 6-8 pages in this section to see if there are any similar threads on this matter before posting this, even then if i've missed something then please don't flame me.

Now, the situation is, my neighbor works on a shipping crew and is on duty between singapore and Hong-kong right now, he is coming back to India in another 3 months time. He asked me if I want him to get something from Singapore, I thought to get a TV as the price differences are substantial.

Looked around and found some amazing differences in prices, currently I've been looking for these models similar to the one below:
http://electronics.pricegrabber.com...461503/search=led+tv+prices+singapore+mustafa
Since TV's seems to be cheap there, the main requirements are:
1. Full HD, 42" LCD/LED
2. Looking for thin bezels screens as linked above.
3. If 3D available then LG otherwise without 3D models Sony or samsung will do.
4. My budget in INR is about 50k can stretch to 55k if needed.
So now I need some help with these questions:

1. Is there any viable option to get TV from singapore in my situation?
2. If yes, then hassles and other problems I might face and issues which I might see.
3. Since I've to tell my neighbor to get from a store, then which place I should tell him to go and buy from.
4. Any other thing I should keep in mind before going for this.

It was a long post, thanks for reading through, please pitch in with your 2 cents. :)
I'm just not asking and sitting back with maaza in my hand to get some magical answers, I'm doing more research as on the time of writing and will paste whatever useful I find on this issue.
So please don't think I'm a careless guy looking for some easy solutions. Thanks!

^ True that, moreover I think you can still take them to service centers, just that they will charge you for their service(correct me if i'm wrong). Thanks @TheIndian, I looked through some of the sites, many of them are routing me back to Mustafa guy shop but at the same time I got links too which says don't buy from this guy. Another thing bothering me is, will there be any price difference between the prices I see online and actual shop prices, they can quote whatever they like no? Who is going to stop them if they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ True that, moreover I think you can still take them to service centers, just that they will charge you for their service(correct me if i'm wrong). Thanks @TheIndian, I looked through some of the sites, many of them are routing me back to Mustafa guy shop but at the same time I got links too which says don't buy from this guy. Another thing bothering me is, will there be any price difference between the prices I see online and actual shop prices, they can quote whatever they like no? Who is going to stop them if they do.

When you go there, carry a smartphone or an ipad with data connection and do verification on the internet at that moment itself. Else keep someone who has internet access on phone handy. Thats what I did when I bought my 40 incher. And believe me the price difference is minimally 20k.

@linuxtechie Thanks man! But I'm not going there personally, my neighbor is a sailor so he is bringing it for me. But valid suggestion for the phone part. Another friend bought a samsung 42" 3D from there(40F6400 samsung), paid 5k in customs and 45k for the TV, in India this model isn't available I guess.

There may be a handling charge at the airport for TV's greater than 40". Also the airport staff want let u off easily, Sunday a friend got a 40" TV which costed him approx 38k. Customs said its Worth 70k and calculated duty as per their rate. He ended up taking the customs guy to the ATM outside and giving him cash in exchange of his passport.

Thanks for the pointer, wanted to know if there are any changes in the procedure if uncle decides to being this TV using ship, you know from port? Also say for a TV model which is not available in India, how do customs calculate its cost?

indigo will charge more for taking the tv, its not incl in the weight .. just an info for people goin to bkk/sg for tv shopping and coming via flight . i think most airlines charge extra for tv's now. i maybe wrong but indigo definitely does . saw two guys from bangalore having a big argument over the counter thats how i know. it was inside the weight limit but indigo said its cuz of the dimensions that they charge ... airline rule fail .

You get good deal in Bangkok too.. Friend took 40 incher for 15k only.

Samsung 6 series is where customs jump in. I guess 5 series dont have to pay customs. Do check before u take.

@Praks...I escaped with a 6 series. You must talk to the airline that you are travelling in. Indigo was very clear that anything above 39 inch will be charged extra.

I bought the Samsung 46" F6400 Smart 3D TV from Singapore. Will be flying to Bangalore via Malaysian Airlines coming saturday.

Hope the custom officers are easy going.

indigo will charge more for taking the tv, its not incl in the weight .. just an info for people goin to bkk/sg for tv shopping and coming via flight . i think most airlines charge extra for tv's now. i maybe wrong but indigo definitely does . saw two guys from bangalore having a big argument over the counter thats how i know. it was inside the weight limit but indigo said its cuz of the dimensions that they charge ... airline rule fail .

Indigo will charge for any TV above 39 inches. However, I blame the consumers here as Indigo was very up front about it when I asked them and clearly stated the same to me when I was booking my tickets. Also I think it is justified. They have to take extra care for TV's, have a seperate line and are packaged differently and all. Imagine someone with a 55 inch tv which might still be less than 20 kgs.

Back