Truecaller not showing names, any alternative caller id app?

6pack

ex-Mod
I'm having problem where Truecaler stopped showing me names of callers and only shows numbers now. So not much difference from regular google call app.
Uninstalled it since it's only interested in showing ads. Any other caller id app for android?
There's some bharat caller id or something but ratings are bad.

I'm having problem where Truecaler stopped showing me names of callers and only shows numbers now. So not much difference from regular google call app.
Uninstalled it since it's only interested in showing ads. Any other caller id app for android?
Why not get the premium version to get rid of the ads? It's just INR 75/month.

A re-install may help. Truecaller is mostly indispensable compared to most other caller apps out there.

already cleared cache, uninstalled it 2-3 times, deleted account on tc etc. really weird. it's only showing me names already in my contact list which is useless imo.
i would have bought the premium version to get rid of the ads but i want it to work properly and show me names of people calling me. why would i spend money on something thats not working?

I've a completely different query actually. Truecaller just doesn't acknowledge my requests to remove my personal ID associated with my contact no. So weird to see those fake confirmations. My name still shows up for everybody. That being said, the app itself is a complete privacy nightmare.
Why not get the premium version to get rid of the ads? It's just INR 75/month.
This is my first time seeing such a recommendation. They show way too many ads to not be profitable by Ads alone. Let's not even debate on the data harvesting.

Last edited:
Truecaller has stopped working for me as well on multiple devices for a month. Just shows the number and no more information whatsoever. Weird.

This is my first time seeing such a recommendation. They show way too many ads to not be profitable by Ads alone. Let's not even debate on the data harvesting.
Privacy in the country is a joke in itself. You are contributing to it by giving your contact details at shops/malls, either way. Yes, TC is a data harvesting tool, but the juxtaposition here is that it helps keep spam at bay. To each his own.

The browser you are using is a data harvesting tool in itself, no matter how "incognito" you may be.

@6pack it is odd that those issues are cropping up. Do you have it installed on any other devices that replicate the same problem?

no, i haven't installed tc on any other device. only have 1 phone for everyday use.

edit: have you or anyone who has subscribed to it tell me if it shows additional information like number of calls the caller makes? It used to show that info first like the incoming caller made 400+ calls per hour etc.

Maybe when you get a call, internet is getting disconnected and True caller failed to retrieve the caller details in real time? Are you connected to wifi during calls?

edit: have you or anyone who has subscribed to it tell me if it shows additional information like number of calls the caller makes? It used to show that info first like the incoming caller made 400+ calls per hour etc.
Yes, it's showing for me.

Screenshot_20231007-202730.png

It's not showing for me, lol. :mad:
Uninstalled tc. got fed up.
Maybe when you get a call, internet is getting disconnected and True caller failed to retrieve the caller details in real time? Are you connected to wifi during calls?
phone data only. internet is on always. it shows ads so i'm sure it gets internet connectivity.

Searched only for a spam number and getting this message, connected via Google burner account.

Manually connected via Google login on Firefox for android

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-10-09-46-28-805_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-10-09-46-28-805_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 95
They are forcing people to install the app to get contact info and other data.

I tried that bharat caller but even that is like truecaller. it closes if you dont give it contact permission and in the play store listing they mentioned everything is optional and to trust them etc etc. I gave a 1 star review and never heard back. all these apps are harvesting data like its their birthright.

If you are using a 5G phone, at the time of incoming call, it falls back to 4G and there is no data temporarily. So truecaller doesn't work.

I have forced my mobile to 4G even if it is a 5G mobile.

Please try that and it should work.

Hey, Agnes from Truecaller here.
Hmm, has this problem started recently?
I've a completely different query actually. Truecaller just doesn't acknowledge my requests to remove my personal ID associated with my contact no. So weird to see those fake confirmations. My name still shows up for everybody. That being said, the app itself is a complete privacy nightmare.

Hey there, Agnes from Truecaller here. Sorry to hear you're not able to remove your personal ID. Do you have spam reports associated with your number? That could be a reason for that not happening.

And I feel the need to say something about Truecaller being a privacy nightmare since it's a never-ending story of lies.
Truecaller is a Swedish company and we proudly make our app in Sweden and India. In fact, all of our Indian user data stays in India on our Indian servers. We were one of the first international companies to do this for our Indian users. We don't sell data and respect our user's privacy.
Privacy in the country is a joke in itself. You are contributing to it by giving your contact details at shops/malls, either way. Yes, TC is a data harvesting tool, but the juxtaposition here is that it helps keep spam at bay. To each his own.

The browser you are using is a data harvesting tool in itself, no matter how "incognito" you may be.

@6pack it is odd that those issues are cropping up. Do you have it installed on any other devices that replicate the same problem?
Hey, Agnes from Truecaller here.
We look forward to The Digital Personal Data Protection Act being put into action. Will be helpful in so many ways for everyone in India.
And no, Truecaller is not a data harvesting tool. It had to be said.

Last edited:
Hello @Agnes L
Why only 1 query per day allowed while searching for spam number via your website?

Cuz they can't harvest the data without the app. Lol
That's how it works. The app is used for crowd sourcing of data and finding common patterns and assign names to contacts or tag them as 'Spam' when marked by enough users as such.
Additionally, it's easier to monetize app users by selling them premium plans.

True Caller doesn't show name/id when one using mobile data (Sim1) and call is received on sim2 or vice versa. No issues when using Wifi data.

finding common patterns and assign names to contacts or tag them as 'Spam' when marked by enough users as such.
Additionally, it's easier to monetize app users by selling them premium plans.
I understand the functional requirement but that spam marking thing is also available on the web. No reason for it not to be either.

Thing is less than 0.1% of all users would take the extra mile to use the web version without installing the app. By enforcing that app installation on their site, they are basically curbing that little freedom for those .1% of users.

There is no excuse.

I understand the functional requirement but that spam marking thing is also available on the web. No reason for it not to be either.

Thing is less than 0.1% of all users would take the extra mile to use the web version without installing the app. By enforcing that app installation on their site, they are basically curbing that little freedom for those .1% of users.

There is no excuse.
Agree with the freedom curbing thing. But, this 0.1% point can be used in reverse by Truecaller.
Because, we have a minuscule percentage who uses web version, it's not feasible for us for economic reasons.
And, some more points, it's easier for them to show us ads and have higher user engagement chances via app.

Back