Transfer of data in home network is slow!!

Metalspree

Skilled
Hi folks i have 2 laptops networked in my place both of them are in wireless ,one is running on windows XP another is vista 64bit Home premium ,if i try to copy data from the XP lappy to Vista one the maximum speed of transfer i get is 970Kbps or a max of 1 Mbps ,i wanna know how to increase the speed of transfer coz it takes ages for me to transfer any HD movies of the XP laptop( XP laptop is a download rig)
PS:Thanx in advance :D

1. what LAN wireless lan you have a/b/g/n at your home,
2. how much far are the two laptops
3. Are you using any data encapsulation for security.
4. I would suggest to use cross cable to transfer gigs of data rather then using wireless for it.

i am not sure whether its a/b/g i have a linksys WRT54G as my router and laptop are pretty near to the router say 2 mts apart from the router,and btb i dont want to hardwire them mate just to avoid wires i am using wireless ,there is no data encapsulation for security :D

I'm using the G2 and a bunch of Linksys cards, and I get a peak throughput of about 10 MB/s (bytes, not bits), which is terrible compared to a wired network, and feels slow. It takes me 4 minutes tops to sync to a USB harddrive, but about 3 hours to transfer the same amount of data over the WLAN.

How are you measuring the speed? There's a good explanation for why WLAN speeds are so slow, here: PC Perspective Forums - View Single Post - Wireless network speeds

All said and done, 1 mbps is too low. The devices are probably set to b mode, which would give you a transfer speed of about 1 MB/s (11Mbps network). You have to set this in the configuration page of the router (192.168.1.1 by default), as well as in the device configuration settings in your individual machines. I normally force G mode wherever possible (Linksys routers don't allow it in all their routers, AFAIK)

And data security is advised, in spite of the drop in throughput. Preferable WPA or PSK2, if all your devices comply with it (most should, unless you're running ancient machines).

^forcing G will not help always unless the Wifi cards also support 802.11g. Generally routers come with b/g compatibily whereas in genrall cards doesn't.

So check if your card supports 802.11b/g and you are running on b mode then switch to g mode. That way you will have higher speed comparatively.

Any card bought after 2007 usually is G enabled, AFAIK. The problem usually is security, as devices that came out in '05 and '06 are G compatible, but may need firmware upgrades to enable WPA and WPA2, if at all possible.

47Shailesh said:
1. what LAN wireless lan you have a/b/g/n at your home,
2. how much far are the two laptops
3. Are you using any data encapsulation for security.
4. I would suggest to use cross cable to transfer gigs of data rather then using wireless for it.

Hell yeah !

That's what i always do and trust me when i say it's FAST !
All you need is a lan CROSSOVER cable and then connect both notebooks directly.

A Dlink crossover cable of min. length should cost you about 80bucks!

I am using lan CROSSOVER cable in two systems placed under 25 feet.Transfer rate really sucks maximum 1 to 1.5 MB.It may be possible i need quality LAN cables.

i also have same problem , i got airtel connected with bx220 modem connected to a netgear 614 router and my main pc and download pc connected to the router , when i transfer files between the 2 pcs it takes 5 min around for a 100mb file , what could be the problem :S

anyone used a draft N router? my friend gets about 7-8mbps wifi local transfer which is pretty good as compared to the a/b/g modes.

Finally found out the problem ! :eek:hyeah:

go to control panel -> network connections -> right click the network adapter in use -> properties -> configure -> Advanced -> Speed and duplex settings and set it to 100mbps half duplex , Full duplex 100mbps mode gives less speed . now do this on all pcs in the home network .
its giving now 60-70mbps speed :eek:hyeah: as compared to 200KBPS before :rofl: .

Still not happening :no: :no: "RoBoGhOsT" i could get till control panel -> network connections -> right click the network adapter in use -> properties -> configure -> Advanced after that i am not able to find "Speed and duplex settings " :( ,its the same with XP and Vista

metalspree said:
Still not happening :no: :no: "RoBoGhOsT" i could get till control panel -> network connections -> right click the network adapter in use -> properties -> configure -> Advanced after that i am not able to find "Speed and duplex settings " :( ,its the same with XP and Vista

Ain't that visible on this page (this is XP)?

If not, your drivers might not support configuring that feature.

Why are you guys trying to use wired network adapter settings on a 54mbps wireless adapter? The settings are totally different, that option is not settable in the adapter configuration.

ahhhhh man no one informed me this :mad: , i have been waiting for some one to help me ,moreover sangram is there any way to increase the speed in wireless

Nope, but I'd be interested if you came across something. Linksys has a few double speed devices which are also double price, and I don't know that they're available locally. There's always N routers, but those are 3x the price and the spec is still not finalised. I'm currently getting about 8MB/s, which is as good as it gets for the G routers.

Back