TRAI's new rule - Mobile number Safe Custody!

6pack

ex-Mod
Got an sms from vodafone now.
Dear Customer, as per TRAI Mandate in the event of forseeing non-usage of your connection, you may avail "SAFE custody" scheme. For details visit vodafone.in or call 111

On their site, this was mentioned in some faq's.

Q. What is safe custody?
A. Safe Custody Scheme means the facility for protection from deactivation for non-usage of a cellular mobile telephone connection of a postpaid consumer on the request of the consumer and on payment of specified amount.

Q. What are the charges of Safe custody?
A. Rs 150 for 3 months.

Q. Can I get my number back after if it gets disconnected for non-usage?
A. The cellular mobile telephone connection of a consumer deactivated for non-usage shall not be allocated to any other consumer till the expiry of a minimum period of fifteen days from the date of deactivation and during such period the consumer can get his mobile connection reactivated by making payment of an amount of rupees twenty rupees.

Q. After how many days of non-usage will my number gets disconnected?
A. If the cellular mobile connection has non-usage for 15 days within first 2 months, the mobile connection is liable to get disconnected. An existing cellular mobile connection with 30days/one bill of non-usage, the mobile connection is liable to get disconnected.

Is this another way of making money? and irritating customers?

First a minimum recharge of 200 then this. Whats next?
But i find it somewhat great where some of my friend use 5-6 sims and changes wherever a new promotion like free talk time for new sim comes.

Q. After how many days of non-usage will my number gets disconnected?
A. If the cellular mobile connection has non-usage for 15 days within first 2 months, the mobile connection is liable to get disconnected. An existing cellular mobile connection with 30days/one bill of non-usage, the mobile connection is liable to get disconnected.

Probably the most important bit. Duration is given but what exactly is Non-Usage? Zero calls, Zero SMS, Zero data charges? Incoming On Outgoing off. etc they have to clearly define those.

I'm not aware of any such services on Airtel right now but eventually it will be introduced.

What triggered this? Telecom industry not doing well? Customer base not growing anymore? Why cant Tel# be expanded instead of going through the hassle of reusing.

Back