TP-Link Archer AX10 AX1500 randomly dropping connection

REY619

Disciple
Hello, I am facing a problem with my new router TP-Link Archer AX10.

My internet setup is like this, I have a 300mbps Jio fiber connection, from the main router the Archer AX10 is connected via CAT6 ethernet cable in the AP mode(LAN port of main router to WAN port of AX10).

Now the issue is at any given random time of the day the WAN LED of the AX10 goes orange and I lose all types of internet connectivity both wired and wireless from the AX10. I can't even open the login page of the main Jio router during this time. However if I disconnect ethernet cable(from AX10's WAN port) and reconnect it back , everything goes back to normal. This normalcy might last a few hours or a few minutes. Its totally random and I am at my wits end to figure this out. It has been already 4 days trying to figure out the problem and I am at a loss.

I also tried connecting the AX10 in router mode but same problem and I get reduced speeds if AX10 is in router mode(40mbps on a 300mbps connection)

In the system log all I could see when this disconnection occurs is a lots of LED WAN errors in this manner:

Code:
2021-03-09 19:45:17 Led Controller INFO [909] Start to run WAN1_OFF
2021-03-09 19:45:17 Led Controller INFO [909] Start to run WAN0_ON
2021-03-09 19:45:17 Led Controller INFO [909] Start to run LAN_ON

2021-03-09 19:29:20 Led Controller INFO [909] Start to run WAN1_ON
2021-03-09 19:29:20 Led Controller INFO [909] Start to run WAN0_OFF
2021-03-09 19:29:20 Led Controller INFO [909] Start to run LAN_ON

2021-03-09 19:23:46 Led Controller INFO [909] Start to run WAN1_OFF
2021-03-09 19:23:46 Led Controller INFO [909] Start to run WAN0_ON
2021-03-09 19:23:46 Led Controller INFO [909] Start to run LAN_ON

On the AX10, the DHCP is disabled and a static IP is assigned to it. Although I tried with DHCP as On and at Auto, and IP as dynamic, still no help.

What I have already tried:

* Set AX10 in both router and AP mode, same result.

* Have tried setting DHCP on & off both and IP dynamic & static both on AX10.

* Have tried 3 different set of CAT6 cables both from main modem to router and router to my PC.

* Have tried setting wifi off too. No help, still dropped wired connections.

* My PC has two ethernet ports, one 2.5G & one 1G, have same problem while AX10 is connected in either of them.

I also checked the internet status by connecting the main Jio router directly to the PC, it was working fine with no drops in speed or packet loss, while this disconnection occurred in the AX10.
Any help will be highly appreciated. I bought the Archer AX10 a week ago and its my first WiFi6 router and not having a pleasant experience.
Please reply if any more info is needed.

This is the software and hardware versions of the device, it is on the latest firmware:

Firmware Version: 1.1.6 Build 20210108 Rel. 60533(5553)
Hardware Version: Archer AX10 v1.20

Thanks.

I could be wrong but try connecting to a LAN port when in AP mode. Afaik WAN port is for direct connection/bridge mode.
Try this in AP mode, disable dhcp, assign static ip to it, let Jio router handle dhcp (check it’s dhcp range and subnet settings). Best would be to out Jio router in bridge mode but I don’t know if that can be done.

I have connected two routers this way. Primary router wan connected to fiber onu in bridge mode. One Ethernet from main router lan port to secondary router’s lan port. Dhcp disabled and static ip assigned to it. The secondary router is basically like a dumb switch with Wi-Fi.

I could be wrong but try connecting to a LAN port when in AP mode. Afaik WAN port is for direct connection/bridge mode.
Try this in AP mode, disable dhcp, assign static ip to it, let Jio router handle dhcp (check it’s dhcp range and subnet settings). Best would be to out Jio router in bridge mode but I don’t know if that can be done.
Yes, I disabled DHCP and assigned static IP to the second router in AP mode, it works fine as it should for a while and then the random drop of the connection.
Jio router cannot be put in bridge mode, that's a big disadvantage of it.

I have connected two routers this way. Primary router wan connected to fiber onu in bridge mode. One Ethernet from main router lan port to secondary router’s lan port. Dhcp disabled and static ip assigned to it. The secondary router is basically like a dumb switch with Wi-Fi.
OK let me try connecting the cable from Jio router to the LAN port instead of WAN port. The operation mode should be AP mode in this method right?

Thanks.

Yes, I disabled DHCP and assigned static IP to the second router in AP mode, it works fine as it should for a while and then the random drop of the connection.
Jio router cannot be put in bridge mode, that's a big disadvantage of it.

OK let me try connecting the cable from Jio router to the LAN port instead of WAN port. The operation mode should be AP mode in this method right?

Thanks.
Yes. Let me know if that works.
also set static ip you set in ax10 in Jio router too(if possible), to avoid any ip conflicts.
if any issues, try resetting ax10 and run the setup page for ap mode, maybe that might change some settings not easily visibile.

Yes. Let me know if that works.
also set static ip you set in ax10 in Jio router too(if possible), to avoid any ip conflicts.
if any issues, try resetting ax10 and run the setup page for ap mode, maybe that might change some settings not easily visibile.

I have setup the network as suggested.

First I factory reset the AX10, then ran the new setup, set it in AP mode, connected ethernet cable from LAN of main router to LAN of AX10.
Disabled DHCP in AX10(enabled in main router), assigned the same static IP to AX10 in both AX10 LAN settings and main router settings.
Finally rebooted both routers. I am currently posting from the new setup, lets see for how long it stays stable.

Thanks.

Fingers crossed I hope it works. If not, try contacting tplink too, maybe hardware issue. Do post an update.

Yes I had posted on TP link forums too, received the same reply that try connecting LAN to LAN and see what happens.
Fingers crossed I hope it works. If not, try contacting tplink too, maybe hardware issue. Do post an update.

It happened again

Everything worked fine for a couple of hours, my pc was connected wired to AX10 and phone was connected to SSID broadcasted from AX10 and then suddenly internet was inaccessible on both PC and phone.

I checked the internet status by connecting directly to Jio router both wired and wifi, internet was working fine.

While connected through AX10 I couldn't even open the management page of Jio Router. The Jio router's login page URL is 192.168.29.1 , while trying to ping it I was getting Destination host unreachable.

Also I got a couple of replies from 192.168.29.106 while trying to ping Jio router(192.168.29.1) Is it normal? The IP 192.168.29.106 was assigned to my PC(by Jio router DHCP).

AX10 is assigned the static IP 192.168.29.105 in both Jio router and AX10 settings.

While I was doing all this, the connection came back online itself after around 15 minutes or so. This is very confusing and I have no idea what else to do?

Attachments

• ping.jpg
    ping.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
That sucks.
This seems like a hardware issue with the ax10 or some Jio router shenanigans, messing with other routers and forcing to use Jio directly.
One last thing I would suggest is trying out different lan port combos on ax10 and Jio router. (I don’t expect much from this).
ping from 106 is definitely weird, not sure pinging router would cause it to ping it’s own ip in between.

My last resort suggestion would be try to RMA ax10 and try again. If it happens again, then it’s definitely the Jio router.

That sucks.
This seems like a hardware issue with the ax10 or some Jio router shenanigans, messing with other routers and forcing to use Jio directly.
One last thing I would suggest is trying out different lan port combos on ax10 and Jio router. (I don’t expect much from this).
ping from 106 is definitely weird, not sure pinging router would cause it to ping it’s own ip in between.

My last resort suggestion would be try to RMA ax10 and try again. If it happens again, then it’s definitely the Jio router.

I bought the router on 4th from Amazon, I have asked for a replacement, it will arrive tomorrow. Will see if the same problem persists or not.
Hope the guys at TP Link forum would suggest something.
Thanks for the help. :)

Now the issue is at any given random time of the day the WAN LED of the AX10 goes orange and I lose all types of internet connectivity both wired and wireless from the AX10
Friend faced similar issues with his router and gone nuts with isp, cables etc.
Finally I suggested to downgrade the firmware and test it for few days and then eventually upgraded to the latest and this worked. Else he was cursing the router for no reasons.
The router was lying at my place for months (due to lockdown) working fine but then it gave those occasional orange led and no connectivity issues.
I reflashed firmware and gave to him but it only worked for few weeks until same issue reappeared.

Random dropping of connections is an issue I have faced with all TP-Link routers. About 5 years back I switched to ASUS and never looked back. I must have returned at least 2-3 TP-Link routers to Flipkart / Amazon because of this random drop problem. It seems to be inherent to TP-Link

Any update? Issues fixed with replacement router?

Friend faced similar issues with his router and gone nuts with isp, cables etc.
Finally I suggested to downgrade the firmware and test it for few days and then eventually upgraded to the latest and this worked. Else he was cursing the router for no reasons.
The router was lying at my place for months (due to lockdown) working fine but then it gave those occasional orange led and no connectivity issues.
I reflashed firmware and gave to him but it only worked for few weeks until same issue reappeared.

Random dropping of connections is an issue I have faced with all TP-Link routers. About 5 years back I switched to ASUS and never looked back. I must have returned at least 2-3 TP-Link routers to Flipkart / Amazon because of this random drop problem. It seems to be inherent to TP-Link

I got the brand new replacement unit which DIED within 12 hours. Just randomly stopped working, no lights, no signs of life, nothing. Contacted TP-Link, they wanted me to ship the unit to Mumbai for RMA(I am in U.P.) Instead of RMA placed another return request on Amazon, and this time they refunded the money(thankfully!) So basically have given up on TP-Link, will look into other brands.

Both these units came with an older firmware, I tested them on older firmware first, issue persisted, then upgraded the firmware, problem was still there. Definitely a hardware problem with TP-Link.

I got the brand new replacement unit which DIED within 12 hours. Just randomly stopped working, no lights, no signs of life, nothing. Contacted TP-Link, they wanted me to ship the unit to Mumbai for RMA(I am in U.P.) Instead of RMA placed another return request on Amazon, and this time they refunded the money(thankfully!) So basically have given up on TP-Link, will look into other brands.

Both these units came with an older firmware, I tested them on older firmware first, issue persisted, then upgraded the firmware, problem was still there. Definitely a hardware problem with TP-Link.
Now go with Dlink.
But if your replacement died within 12 hrs check the electric port where you plugged in the adapter.

Now go with Dlink.
But if your replacement died within 12 hrs check the electric port where you plugged in the adapter.

It was plugged into a 4 port Belkin surge protector with 2 other devices plugged in. All ports and other devices are working fine.
TP-Link also asked to check with a different adapter of same rating, so tested with a working adapter of TP-Link TD-W8968 modem/router, still no signs of life.

Will look into Dlink. Thanks.

you should not even bother with ap mode etc just get any other router ,connect cable from lan port of of jio to lan port of router of choice. thats it.

Ip assignment : Jio 192.168.29.1 255.255.255.0

Enable DHCP on jio router

For router of your choice : ip 192.168.29.2 255.255.255.0

Thats is , in case you would be statically assigning ip`s than ip`s from 192.168.29.XXX range and gateway & dns ip should be 192.168.29.1 (jio router Lan IP)
just an addition , configure SSID with same name on both routers with same password

Last edited:
you should not even bother with ap mode etc just get any other router ,connect cable from lan port of of jio to lan port of router of choice. thats it.

Ip assignment : Jio 192.168.29.1 255.255.255.0

Enable DHCP on jio router

For router of your choice : ip 192.168.29.2 255.255.255.0

Thats is , in case you would be statically assigning ip`s than ip`s from 192.168.29.XXX range and gateway & dns ip should be 192.168.29.1 (jio router Lan IP)
just an addition , configure SSID with same name on both routers with same password

Yes, when the inbuilt AP mode didn't work, thats what I did, connecting both routers LAN to LAN and configuring everything as mentioned. But the same problem happened. I even turned off the Wifi in Jio router, only the second router was broadcasting the wifi.

I am having the same problem as OP but with a tp-link c6 ver 2. My setup is like this - airtel nokia router connected in bridge mode to tp-link c80 then connected lan to wan tp-link c6 in ap mode.

I think it started after an update about 2 weeks ago or maybe I just started noticing it since then. Can I RMA this router, what problem will I tell them?

OT- I bought the c80 over the ax1000/1500 based on amazon reviews and am happy with it so far.

I am having the same problem as OP but with a tp-link c6 ver 2. My setup is like this - airtel nokia router connected in bridge mode to tp-link c80 then connected lan to wan tp-link c6 in ap mode.

I think it started after an update about 2 weeks ago or maybe I just started noticing it since then. Can I RMA this router, what problem will I tell them?

OT- I bought the c80 over the ax1000/1500 based on amazon reviews and am happy with it so far.
Refer to my solution above..

^^ I'll try it when I get home. Thanks. Don't want to replace the router (c6) as it gives me access to channel 13 on 2.4g, wifi n, so no conflict with my primary router (channel 1).

Back