Toric Contact Lenses

vb86

Adept
Since I have very high cylinderical power, I use toric lenses. For 3 years, I used the B&L 66 toric lenses after which my power increased last year to -4.5 cylinder @ 180 degrees in both eyes. The spherical is in the range of -3.5 in one and around -4.0 in the other.

So after the increase last year, I had to move to prescription soft lenses and ordered them from singapore from a brand called flexcon. These were to be used for a year. I wasn't particularly happy with them as the rotated a bit at times causing problems for me.

This time around, the optician is offering me cooper vision frequency torics. These are damn expensive but i ordered these as they were monthly disposal and should be more comfy. Delivery is 5 weeks from UK. Ive ordered 6 pairs.

When I came home, I went online and saw that cooper vision also has silicon hydrogel torics for high cylinder. I asked my optician, but he said that they aren't available in India. Can anyone confirm?

Please note that the power I've mentioned above is for glasses. For lenses it is adjusted and reduced.

If anyone has any other recommendations, please do mention. I'll keep that in mind for my next order. The cylinder should come down to roughly -4.00 for both eyes for lenses.

I can can confirm the validity of the Coopervision lenses, they are great. I am an Optician in San Francisco and I am familiar with this lens, it's a good lens. Can't tell you anything about availability in India though, but once you have an Rx I would see about getting them shipped. Have you checked US Sites like 1800contacts and contacts.com, I am not sure if they will ship to India but they seem to ship to a lot of places.

Hey,

Thanks a lot. I'll have a look at those sites. By Rx, do you mean a prescription from a doc to let me wear lenses or a general prescription stating my power?

Here in the US when you buy contacts you have to have a prescription that states the power, brand, diameter and base curvature, to be legally allowed to purchase the contacts. It is considered the same as a prescription for medication and in most states has to be less than 1 year old. :D

Btw, which soft lenses would you recommend in my case. I have already ordered frequency torics as mentioned above but coopervision also has brands like bioinfinity which seem interesting. I'm open to other companies also.

Both are good brands, but we fit a lot of the biofinity it is a great lens and is made of the newer Silicon Hydrogel material. Often it can be a little uncomfortable at first because the eye is not used to getting so much oxygen and the lens is slightly thicker, but most people really love them after a couple of weeks.

Hmm, thanks. I went through the site and understood what you meant by Rx. Another thing I noticed on the site was that for both brands ie. frequency and bioinfinity, the max supported cylinder is -2.25. Whereas, actually, it should go up to -5.0 or more?

Ok, just confirmed that mine are Frequency XR. I paid Rs. 3400 for a 6 month supply. So I guess bioinfinty doesn't come with high cylinder?

well, firstly, my power is not stable yet. i would wait for atleast 2 years with a stable power and then think about it.

secondly, with such a high cylinder, lasik (and its variants) are not recommended. maybe some new technology in the future might be more suited.

^^ sorry you are right, I should have paid more attention to your prescription. There are not a lot of choices with that high of a cylinder. So I think you may have the best one, I will check for you and find out availability on other lenses too. ;)

If you are aware of it..the Allegreto wave laser machine can correct upto -6.00 power of astigmatism along with myopia of -14.00.

There should be some hospitals offering that.

Back