To sell the expensive SE, iPhone prices hiked by 29%

Isn't the news just a rumour? I read another article which said so, that this news which made headlines everywhere was false.
Apple have applied for a license to sell second hand phones in India.
And so far they have been met with a strong opposition.
They have a deal in the west where they will buy back last years phone and sell you the latest one. Where will last years phones end up ? here and other 'emerging' markets.

Refurbs which will cost less than brand new.
Question is how much will the price be?
Meanwhile my cousin brother bought a 5C and sister a 5S. :|

And so far they have been met with a strong opposition.
By whom ?

Question is how much will the price be?
Competitive with android flagships is my guess.

Now if people hold off to make a purchase till Nov when all androids have launched, what happens..

Meanwhile my cousin brother bought a 5C and sister a 5S. :|
yes they are in the 20k range. But were introduced three years ago.

can anyone explain whats the catch in this offer ? assuming iphone 6 is at 39k in stores. Ad says cashback of 8500 + 5000 for citibank. so a new i6 i can get for 26k ?

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-1_22-32-58.png
    upload_2016-5-1_22-32-58.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 164
Ah so their primary argument is..

allowing Apple to have its way would result in a deluge of used electronics imports, making mince-meat of Modi's localization drive.

by whom

newly formed Mobile and Communications Council. The group's members include the largest Indian phone brands: Micromax, Intex and Samsung.

They are basically holding the govt to ransom, saying do as we say otherwise why should we set up factories here. The only reason companies are considering 'make in India' is to cut out import levies whose primary purpose is to protect local companies. 'Make in India' really means 'Make for India'. It could develop into exports later and there is every chance of that. Countries like Vietnam & Thailand have been doing it for a while now.

Question is will there really be this 'deluge of used imports' and how attractive it will be.

Am looking at people buying in ebay and there is a certain degree of risk there. Let alone the fact that it took bloody ages for the product to arrive at a price that is attractive. When the next model is out the gates these older ones appear. If you want to buy something waiting 9+ months isn't worth it. You will lose interest by that time and pine for the next latest & greatest.

So used products or refurbs are be definition a generation behind. They don't threaten the latest devices. But they put pressure on companies to lower prices sooner. This is what they are objecting to.

Apple last month unveiled a smaller iPhone SE that, with a starting price of $399, may still be out of reach of many Indian buyers. Apple now has less than 2% of an Indian market in which many phones cost less than $150.
Had to call this para out. Couldn't TOI have done their homework here.

No, it was not $400 that is the primary problem, they're asking for nearly $600. Same BS price in the UK. $400 is not out of the reach of Indians. The problem is for Apple to setup a store here they need a local partner and no way is apple sharing profits with somebody that does squat. So apple has to go via resellers or franchisees same as LG who have their margins and the govt import duty.

And to get that ie keep the distributors happy they upped the prices of the 6 & 6s by 10k. They sense there is a demand so why not raise prices across the board and milk it.

Last edited:
While refrub is good if provided with warranty and best of the market prices but are they competent enough? I see iOS as still close and not allowing enough customizations to their $500 paid device tantamount to $100 Droids being sold over in India. The refurb market of Apple would still spoil their brand value in India, a luxury good is appealed by Brand value rather than functionality. It would be Ninja of Phones instead of being Ducati which is not good considering the geeks ahead.

Back