To BB or not to BB?

Speedz

Adept
Clichéd Title I know, but really in a fix.

Looking for a phone around 20k, almost locked in on the Bold 2 or 3 provided I could stretch, but then I am at college right now, and as of now my phone bills are in the sub 200 range, but the BIS plans start at freaking 299, plus the Phone and Text bills.

Main reason why I was looking for the BB was mail access and the BBM obviously, plus the fact that I am still kinda stuck with real keys than touch screen.

Now I am really in a fix, is the recurring expense of the BB worth it? Also, any other alternatives in the same price range with a nice full QWERTY keypad?

Thanks...

Id suggest you buy a phone for its features rather than the "Image"; a mid range 'Droid' or even a Nokia will suit you just fine. As for BBM like services you can get WhatsApp. You can communicate with your friends who have Blackberries as well.. simply ask them to get WhatsApp; its free for a minimum of 1 year.

Xanthor said:
Id suggest you buy a phone for its features rather than the "Image"; a mid range 'Droid' or even a Nokia will suit you just fine. As for BBM like services you can get WhatsApp. You can communicate with your friends who have Blackberries as well.. simply ask them to get WhatsApp; its free for a minimum of 1 year.
+1 no need to waste money just for bbm sake whatsapp is nice and free and with 2gb for 98 plan u can enjoy and save 200 rs per month

I use a Blackberry 8520 and a Nokia N85. Long-time Nokia user here, so take my comments with a pinch of salt.

The interface sucks. Messaging sucks - try to forward SMSs, and you actually can't. The key layout is terrible. The software is slow and buggy. The phone takes 8 minutes from power up to network registration. The battery lasts all of one day. The homepage takes 6 shortcuts. 6. The speakerphone sounds like R2D2 mating with Donald Duck.

I hate the dam thing, and if the office didn't mandate its usage and if it was not free it would be in the river a long time ago.

cranky said:
I use a Blackberry 8520 and a Nokia N85. Long-time Nokia user here, so take my comments with a pinch of salt.

The interface sucks. Messaging sucks - try to forward SMSs, and you actually can't. The key layout is terrible. The software is slow and buggy. The phone takes 8 minutes from power up to network registration. The battery lasts all of one day. The homepage takes 6 shortcuts. 6. The speakerphone sounds like R2D2 mating with Donald Duck.

I hate the dam thing, and if the office didn't mandate its usage and if it was not free it would be in the river a long time ago.
you can forward sms in bb mine take 2 min to boot cum on network max.

cranky said:

I dont know how u try to forward the messages we just normally press 'F' and it goes in the send mode...
The OS 6 takes only 3 to 4 mins to load yet ur phone takes 8 are u serious??? wht OS do u use???
How many more shortcuts do u want??? I think 6 are good enough...

asingh said:
BT pairing with other devices is quite a PITA on BB.

That is because of the older 4.6OS the problem is solved in OS 5. Have never encountered a problem of pairing with anyone after the OS update to 5... But the fact that i have to pair with all the phones to receive something is really appalling but i guess that has something to do with security...

I own a BB and an Android so I know them both inside out, unlike *some* people.

1. There is no point buying BB unless you buy:

a) Two phones and when you have money for two decent phones and to change them often, you are elite.

b) Or buy a 30k BB and change it yearly, which means you are again elite.

2. BB does nothing apart from BBM which android doesn't do, but not the vice versa. At the same price point, BB doesn't compete.

3. IMO although people with 30L/annum may buy a 15L car, people with 30k pm may buy 30k phones. BUT THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT

To afford 30k a year on phones, your family income *should* be at least 40L-1 cr gross a year. And that isn't the average joe.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I never said the non-elites can't buy BBs, they also buy Mercedes(as much as their annual income): but:

1. They usually don't need it and will have a better experience with something like Android

AND/OR

2. They are idiots :D

Another things every 3rd or 4th month elite bb because obsolete bb because so many simillar model by rim without any much diff in specs and price of old goes half lol. bb yet to discover front camera for video call and none of upcoming devices have front cam looks rim thinks video camera is of no use. till date worst browser ever seen.

@Lida:

I have OS v5.0.0.832. Curve 3G.

I could never pair it to my laptop for contact transfer. It was pure agony getting contacts over. Never paired to my Nokia E50 for BT transfer contact too. Finally on a friends computer not sure how, I got it to pair and then transferred to Outlook.

asingh said:
@Lida:
I have OS v5.0.0.832. Curve 3G.

I could never pair it to my laptop for contact transfer. It was pure agony getting contacts over. Never paired to my Nokia E50 for BT transfer contact too. Finally on a friends computer not sure how, I got it to pair and then transferred to Outlook.
first of all load os 6 u phone will be fast and will boot fast but u will be left with low ram like 70mb or so max

Seriously, this thread has been hardly any use.

For one, stop this "elite" business, I don't care if I am/am not or appear/appear not to be elite. And I doubt even Blackberry with their whole paradigm shift towards multimedia and social networking claim to be elite for themselves.

There seem to be no phone (or so it appears so far) which has a decent keypad to go with it which makes for efficient typing/messaging. I have seen a lot of the galaxy's and htc's but none of em even comes close to the typing experience in touch, except the iphone which is a bit too off my budget, not to mention the warranty hassles.

And Blackberry holds the 3rd largest market share in smartphones, there has to be something good about it. Not everyone buying a BB can be an elitist jerk looking to move around with a prized possession to show off as a status symbol?

Request, please suggest a better alternative, or just say why is Blackberry not a good option minus the "elitist" argument.

Speedz said:
Seriously, this thread has been hardly any use.

For one, stop this "elite" business, I don't care if I am/am not or appear/appear not to be elite. And I doubt even Blackberry with their whole paradigm shift towards multimedia and social networking claim to be elite for themselves.

There seem to be no phone (or so it appears so far) which has a decent keypad to go with it which makes for efficient typing/messaging. I have seen a lot of the galaxy's and htc's but none of em even comes close to the typing experience in touch, except the iphone which is a bit too off my budget, not to mention the warranty hassles.

And Blackberry holds the 3rd largest market share in smartphones, there has to be something good about it. Not everyone buying a BB can be an elitist jerk looking to move around with a prized possession to show off as a status symbol?

Request, please suggest a better alternative, or just say why is Blackberry not a good option minus the "elitist" argument.
forget about 3rd largest because its just thanks to office and people are forced to use it. secondly leave elitist aside lol still main bad things about bb sad battery life of low price models if you talk alot. you have to spend 3 times for emails and chat as 300 rs as compare to 98 for others. bad screen bad camera aweful os. no front cam. small screen hardly good apps, how many more -ve you need to kick away bb and buy something better as android or so

rite said:
I own a BB and an Android so I know them both inside out, unlike *some* people.

1. There is no point buying BB unless you buy:

a) Two phones and when you have money for two decent phones and to change them often, you are elite.

b) Or buy a 30k BB and change it yearly, which means you are again elite.

2. BB does nothing apart from BBM which android doesn't do, but not the vice versa. At the same price point, BB doesn't compete.

3. IMO although people with 30L/annum may buy a 15L car, people with 30k pm may buy 30k phones. BUT THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT

To afford 30k a year on phones, your family income *should* be at least 40L-1 cr gross a year. And that isn't the average joe.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I never said the non-elites can't buy BBs, they also buy Mercedes(as much as their annual income): but:

1. They usually don't need it and will have a better experience with something like Android

AND/OR

2. They are idiots :D
It is quite obvious who is making an idiot out of himself here.

delguy19 said:
first of all load os 6 u phone will be fast and will boot fast but u will be left with low ram like 70mb or so max
Had contemplated this, but did not due to this exact same reason..! Though on an honest note my BB offers me the functions which I need. Some surfing and decent GUI coupled with all right features.

I prefer Swype on Android to BB's qwerty. Even Gingerbread's on screen keyboard kills BB's qwerty. I prefer Android for messaging, any day. Provided it is a fast high end Android of course.

Have you ever even typed on an Android keyboard?

Tried it on the HTC Wildfire and Samsung Galaxy S, minus Swype though.Wasn't impressed.

I kinda like the feel of proper keys too much I guess.

And I don't know, I might be very wrong here, but somehow the BB OS 6 seemed far more responsive and Fluid in showroom than an Android.

WTF is this elite stuff going on in the thread ? Not bothered to read the entire thread so can someone fill me in ?

And rite , buddy you've got to be insane if you think only people with 40L-1Cr can afford 30k phones.. I'm a student , i afford them and i buy them with my OWN money.

Back