Thinking of setting up a NAS. Need some inputs. **Network Noob Alert**

Lets say reading is what I am more concerned with.
I'm still not clear on whether you want to stream only or you copy files over via wifi onto storage (micro-sd card) in the note 2 and then watch.

Which is more important copying or streaming.

Also would want to mention that the router uses that twonky media server to stream stuff.
Which android app are you using on the Note 2 to access twonky ?

What are the file sizes of the media files you are trying to stream ?

I'm still not clear on whether you want to stream only or you copy files over via wifi onto storage (micro-sd card) in the note 2 and then watch.

Which is more important copying or streaming.
While I am mostly concerned with streaming performance, writing is also something I am looking at since I would want to use that central stroage for regular backups from my devices.

To put it simply, if I don't have to spend enough money, I'll be ok with just the streaming. But I am spending some serious money (max 20K INR), I would want a decent read/write performance (in wireless mode).

Which android app are you using on the Note 2 to access twonky ?

What are the file sizes of the media files you are trying to stream ?
I currently use the LonelyCatGames Xplorer to access files on the storage device connected to the router.

Also to give you a little more background, I am looking forward to buy an ultrabook like Lenovo Yoga 13 next week, from the US. These devices pack just 128GB of SSD which would be pretty less so I am also looking at a NAS setup.

Suggest you read this thread on the lenovo forum

Yoga 13 wifi is extremely poor | Lenovo forum

Make sure if there are wifi issues with the yoga 13 that it can be fixed. Otherwise stay away.

People are reporting similar speeds on the yoga as what you're getting with the note 2. Looks like an N150 wifi device. I would have preferred a N300 ie with MIMO for an ultrabook. Samsung has one, pricey.

So what are the max file size of media files you want to stream to the note 2 & yoga.

<5GB, 10GB, more... ?

What file size has worked for you so far with the note 2.

What is the model # of your belkin router ?

Is it N600 DB Wireless Dual-Band N+ Router - F9K1102

Yoga 13 is just one of the options. I would be visiting the US next week and then decide which one I would want to buy.

The typical file size is generally 4GB odd. But at times they are bigger.

The router is the one you mentioned. Its N300 on each 2.4 and 5GHz band.

How has the playback been on the note 2 with 4GB files ?

Your note 2 supports 5Ghz as well as the belkin, what link speed have you seen on the note 2 when using the 5Ghz band ? 65Mbs or more

Did you notice a faster transfer than 2MB/s when using 5Ghz.

ok, it appears the note 2 does not have channel bonding like the note 10.1 does. ~20Mbs is the max you can expect. Stick to 2.4 Ghz, your router has good range and preforms best at that frequency, its 5Ghz performance isn't that stable.

Getting a good quality NAS is not going to change streaming performance because the limit is on the client wifi end. As far as streaming goes there is no difference in throughput to your client whether you use a pen drive, external USB drive or a NAS.

You did not answer how the playback with 4GB files was like. Rough rule of thumb, 4GB file = 4Mbs bitrate which varies. The bitrate of a file changes depending on the action of the scenes and can go 2,3,4x the avg bitrate. It should work mostly. Files that peak over 20Mbs will stutter. Bigger files than 4GB might also work but those peaks may come sooner if there is lots of action, again stutter.

An N300 will push to 40Mbs if not more which means more chances of smoother playback. If the bulk of your files are not going to exceed 4GB then a N150 may be ok. If you can afford an ultrabook that has N300 wifi and not N150 it will be better. Otherwise it will be the same as your note 2 or worse if the vendor screwed up the wifi. You cannot upgrade the wifi on these devices. A faster router won't make any difference either.

Hopefully you now have a better idea of what will and wont't work regarding streaming.

I hear you @blr_p. But the idea of central storage is turning out to be a lot more than just media streaming. I've been reading all day about the NAS concept/capabilities and I am amazed (kinda startled), why I didn't focus more on this topic before.

Have been reading about the Synology NAS thing and I am mighty impressed. Seems like solution to all my problems. Only problem is that it costs too much. If I get that thing, I cant get the ultrabook owing to my budget constraints. (Although even that ultrabook is more of a wishlist (was planning to sell my current vaio netbook to get that) but network storage seems to be important thing that I require.)

The equation is slowly turning into NAS vs Ultrabook. ON top of that, I think if I move to NAS, I's have to move to a gigabit router. Still vacillating. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
You've not left yourself much time if a week is all you've got to make this decision.

How to buy a NAS

Read that or keep reading more on SNB and try and put your requirements down in a list, will help to organise your thoughts.

The tricky thing with NAS is you have to decide what you want it to do then plan for expansion. How will you do maintenance and management. How important are software plugins etc. The better models have more capability. It has to be gigabit, no point getting anything less. A GB switch can handle this between your desktop/laptop.

Since you're new to this area getting something off the shelf will be easier than building your own.

I've been reading about this for some time and have yet to make a decision.

That DS213 NAS would cost me 300USD. Another 300 for two 3TB WD Reds. So in six hudred USD or odd 35K, I'll get 3TB space (in RAID 1). Would it be worth? I still am confused. But the feature set is just too good. Don't think if I assemble a unit myself, it'll have so much. Also the cabinet size is very minimal which is kind of what I need. To top that there is support as well.

To split up the problem, do you think in 300USD (excluding the cost of HDDs), a decent NAS can be assembled which would have performance similar to the DS213? .....keeping the cabinet size small.

Pretty sure you can always assemble any NAS provided you are ready for some tinkering. Its not going to be plug and play. And it will be cheaper than a dedicated box for sure. But cannot say the same for power consumption.

Thanks for the suggestion @varkey but I guess I'd be comfortable spending little more to get peace of mind. Somehow I am getting too much inclined towards the Synology DS213. :(

@vivek.krishnan, I guess if I am saving small money, if I setup my own NAS, I'd choose to pay little more to save me from the hassle.

Looks like I'll go ahead and buy the 300USD DS213. Do you guys suggest any other option in the same money ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for a self confessed network n00b your choice of preferred NAS just so happens to be #1 best seller on amazon. The NAS with the most positive reviews, not an easy feat for a vendor to pull off. What a coincidence. So figured you just looked there :)

Check out the synology support forums to see what people complain about for that model to get another take.

You wanted to know of other options look at the nine that did not make first place.

What is the power situation like where you live ? Average duration of power cuts.

Does the NAS need to be on 24x7x365. How long does it take to come on from a cold start or stand by. This model consumes 28W with regular use and 8W on power saving. If you need to have an UPS, then factor in the time you will have remaining with this load.

An external USB drive consumes just 5W in comparison. People ask what is better than this and then look at the go flex series. To go better is to get a NAS. That is to say, without rolling your own.

Why would you want this synology model over say a go flex. ok the synology is more convenient less swapping around etc. What else.

So many questions dude :confused:

Well for a self confessed network n00b your choice of preferred NAS just so happens to be #1 best seller on amazon. The NAS with the most positive reviews, not an easy feat for a vendor to pull off. What a coincidence. So figured you just looked there :)
I guess that model is number one because of the price to performance ratio, it offers. I was actually looking at the DS212 (200USD) and then realized that 213 seems to be a better bet. The user reviews on Amazon coupled with few expert reviews on youtube/other tech sites made me convinced for this model.

Check out the synology support forums to see what people complain about for that model to get another take.
Yupp already read the reviews/forums to find out the following issues:
* RAID 5 not possible so not as good fault tolerance
* Non Upgradable RAM (512MB might not cut it after a while)
* Non Floating point/Non x86 architecture CPU - Slower Transcoding(if needed)/Less third party plugins support
* Non existent expandability (unless you swap in higher capacity disks)

You wanted to know of other options look at the nine that did not make first place.
Most of them are higher end Synology NAS systems. I am still not convinced with the DS213. Looking at the DS213+ but that also isn't ticking all the boxes. DS413 costs 500USD (diskless) and looks like it'd too bulky to pack it back to India.

What is the power situation like where you live ? Average duration of power cuts.
I live in Gurgaon and although the power is intermittent, I have power backup at home. My modem/router remain on always. The NAS would also join the herd.

Does the NAS need to be on 24x7x365. How long does it take to come on from a cold start or stand by. This model consumes 28W with regular use and 8W on power saving. If you need to have an UPS, then factor in the time you will have remaining with this load.
Yes, if I happen to get one, it would most definitely stay on 24x7x365. Already have power inverter backup which is good enough so no UPS requirement as such.

An external USB drive consumes just 5W in comparison. People ask what is better than this and then look at the go flex series. To go better is to get a NAS. That is to say, without rolling your own.
That to me is a "make do" solution, when compared to the huge set of utilities that this Synology NAS is offering. Also there are speed issues and no RAID configuration options. Overall I thought of skipping this class of products, altogether.

Why would you want this synology model over say a go flex. ok the synology is more convenient less swapping around etc. What else.
Owing to the feature set, RAID configuration versatility, proven track record and customer satisfaction index, time saving in setting up, support and most importantly for the peace of mind.

Owing to the feature set, RAID configuration versatility, proven track record and customer satisfaction index, time saving in setting up, support and most importantly for the peace of mind.
How much is that peace of mind worth ? i tend to think of data this way.

1 HDD full of your data = 10x cost (if not more) of the same HDD if it was blank

Whether you roll your own or buy off-the-shelf, the reliability of the NAS hard drive controller is paramount. Has to be good quality or a failure will result in a bunch of drives that are striped and only another controller of the same is able to read. What happened to your RAID ? you just lost it because the controller died and have to somehow recover the data. Depending on how proprietary the scheme used for striping, recovery might either be feasible or very difficult. The pricey NAS models make for easier recovery, with cheaper NAS models i think its best to go JBODs and no RAID.

RAID is not backup. RAID is about availability.

What bugs me about these NAS devices is the redundant drive is in the same unit as the main drive. If for any reason there is a power surge then all drives could get affected. This means you need to have an offline backup of your NAS and do backups regularly.

(2 bay model) NAS + 2HDDs in RAID1 PLUS 1HDD (backup) external HDD with USB3 or eSATA

Those 4 bay units are mighty tempting aren't they. You need to have an extra backup (3HDDs) as well. Otherwise if you happen to lose more than 1 drive in a RAID 5 configuration then you lose everything.

About the 512MB RAM, if the avg size of your files isn't going to exceed it then you will be ok, otherwise the copy over to the NAS will be slower.

About having more CPU for transcoding, if you have a N300 client then you won't need it. If you want to watch 1080p over 7s0p, maybe a wired connection to big screen TV would be better than an ultrabook.

Which I know....I guess reading all my posts, it should be clear that I am trying to up the ante a bit here. Not looking at the backup anymore but at the possibilities that'd open up, if I move to something like what I've mentioned above.

Back