User Guides The Perfect BSNL Night Unlimited Solution

Here is the trick which i have almost perfected.

The Scenario.

As we all know the night unlimited starts from 2:00 AM and remains active with 8:00 AM. But the catch is that you need to disconnect and reconnect at 2:00 and 8:00 for the billing software of BSNL to register your free night unlimited downloads correctly. For this the best solution is to physically turn off and then turn on the modem @ 2:00 AM and again @ 8:00 AM. But that’s too much of a pain and also "What are comps for!!! ". The other way to do it is logging on to the router and then rebooting it @ 2:00 AM and 8:00 PM. As we all know the Beetel 220BX does reconnect automatically if you set it on the PPPoE mode. We will try to do automate the second process so that we can have our peace of mind during late nights.

The Hardware, The Software and The Settings:

Hardware:

Beetel 220BX Modem
Netgear WGR614 Wireless router
I am making this a little tricky for the simple reason that everybody today has a Wi-Fi router connected to their ADSL modems for ease of use with Notebooks. So the automation has to be done in such a way that all the aspects are taken care of.

Software:

Mozilla Firefox Browser
Notepad :p
utorrent

Settings:

220BX Modem having IP as 192.168.1.1
Router having a static/dymaic IP between 192.168.1.2 – 192.168.1.255
Desktop/Laptops taking Dynamic IP’s from the router between 192.168.1.2 – 192.168.1.255
(Note that if you are not having a Wi-Fi router in between then also it does not make a difference. Only difference will be your Desktop will have a Static IP between 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255. You have dynamic IP’s but I’ll be testing the same with static IP’s.)

Procedure:

First things first. Fire up utorrent and then click on Options>Preferences>Scheduler
Next click on enable Scheduler and then colour the slots between 2:00 – 8:00 to dark green and rest as white(Where Dark Green is full speed and White is Turn off Downloading).
Click on ok. You should see that all the downloading has been stopped (Considering the time is not between 2:00 and 8:00)
Now your utorrent is scheduled.

Next step is to fire up Notepad. Put in this line in the notepad
Code:
 C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\firefox.exe -new-tab [URL]http://admin:password@192.168.1.1/rebootinfo.cgi[/URL]
Where your username and password for the modem is admin and password. If not then change the username and password with the ones you have saved in your modem.
Save the file as Reboot.bat at a convenient location. Best place is directly in C:\ or your Windows installation partition.
Run it. For the first time your browser will give you an alert message that you are trying to logon to a website with the admin username. Click on ok. Wait for around 1 Min. Your modem should reboot during this time. If not then there is something wrong somewhere. Check everything from the beginning again. And do not proceed further till your modem starts rebooting.

Now that your modem has started rebooting all you need to do is run this file at the desired time of yours. My guess is that about 2:05 AM is a good time to run this file, and again at 7:55 AM. The reason for that is that your PC time is not in sync with BSNL server’s and the 5 minutes rush will save you from those embarrassing bills.
To automate the whole process you need windows task scheduler. While writing this guide i am giving a example of Windows Vista OS and i guess Windows XP will work the same ways. I will try this same thing again at my home and post back if there are any necessary changes which have to me made.

Now click on Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Task Scheduler
In the Task scheduler on the right hand side in the actions pane click on “Create a basic taskâ€
A new window will pop up. Here in the name field just write “Modem Reboot at 2.05†and in the description field just write â€Take that you BSNL Suckersâ€.
Click on next and select Daily.
Click on next and select the start date as the present date and time as 2:05 AM (Don’t mess up the time. Don’t touch any thing else and click on next.
Click on start a programme and click on next. In this window browse for the reboot.bat file which we have saved earlier in the c:\ or any other desired location where you had saved it earlier. Click on next and then followed by finish.
Now repeat the entire task scheduler process from the beginning for rebooting the modem @ 7:55.
And now you are done. To do a test run you can either change your system time to 2:04 or create a test task scheduler 2 minutes from the present time and run it. But don’t forget to revert back the changes.
All this is fairly simple and almost foolproof. Just to be extra sure you can make the modem reboot @ 2.15AM and schedule a shutdown of windows @ 8:00 AM in the morning. Hopefully this trick should work with every other modem which is available in the market. If not then you need to find out the command to reboot the modem and put it in the bat file.
I found this single command to be a blessing in disguise and hopefully this guide will help quite a few of you in avoiding some billing nightmares.
Switch
Notes:
This guide assumes your modem is set to PPPoE mode and you don’t need to dial manually to connect to the net.
You are using utorrent as your P2P software.
You are on BSNL Night Unlimited and not on MTNL Night Unlimited.
You don’t work on your comp during the night unlimited hours. :bleh:
You don’t have a very big bank balance.

===================================================================

Added later. Suggestion by ..:: Free Radical ::.. for people who use there modem in Bridged mode.

You can simply use rasdial if you are in Bridge mode

copy this into a text file and save it has a .CMD batch file

CONNECT.CMD
Code:
@ECHO OFF

:CONNECT
rasdial <Connection Name> <Phone Number> <Password>
if NOT %ERRORLEVEL% ==0 GOTO FAILED
EXIT

:FAILED
GOTO CONNECT
DISCONNECT.CMD
Code:
rasdial <Connection Name> /DISCONNECT
Where <Connection Name> = Name of the bridge Mode WAN Miniport PPPoE dialer connection in your Network connections folder.
And use task scheduler to run each whenever you desire.
Better than using a browser.

Reactions: 4 people

Supra

Skilled
Feb 10, 2005
Good guide but Netgear Wifi router sucks.

Got the Buffalo G54s just for the purpose of the night downloads :)

You can run any script/command at a predefined time...so everything is done by the router :D....say the PC hangs by some way and the task scheduler does not run and u r screwed. Had happened with me 2-3 times :(

best way for BSNL guys is to get the Buffalo G54s/G-125 and load it with tomato firmware :D

Switch

Skilled
Jan 13, 2005
Well i do have a buffalo router at home but all others are not so fortunate to have the same. And besides a PC is not suppose to hang... And if it is hung then i guess it wont download either :bleh:. Also what about peeps who dont use a router at all.

P.S. Why don't you put up a mini guide for the same. Either PM me the guide so that i can attach the same with the thread or post a new guide. A load of peeps will bless you :).

Jul 3, 2006
OR you can simply use rasdial if you are in Bridge mode

copy this into a text file and save it has a .CMD batch file

CONNECT.CMD

Code:
@ECHO OFF

:CONNECT

rasdial <Connection Name> <Phone Number> <Password>

if NOT %ERRORLEVEL% ==0 GOTO FAILED

EXIT

:FAILED

GOTO CONNECT
DISCONNECT.CMD

Code:
rasdial <Connection Name> /DISCONNECT
Where <Connection Name> = Name of the bridge Mode WAN Miniport PPPoE dialer connection in your Network connections folder.

And use task scheduler to run each whenever you desire.

Better than using a browser.

Reactions: 1 person

Wraith

Skilled
Mar 27, 2005
my cousin who is using the night unlimited on bsnl says since last couple of months he doesnt need to switch on n switch off the modem...
He has not faced any billing problems....

mh09ad5578

the aRchiTect!
Adept
Sep 23, 2007
Chitradurga
@switch-u sure u need to do tht???coz i keep a scheduler on at 2.00 am, it connects the net, then i have scheduled all the torrents to start at approproate times (ya most of the downloads thru bit torrents only) and i program the scheduler to shut down around 7.55 am, never faced any problems, my day time surfing registers around upload/download traffic of around 1.5gb, which is as u know free. on an average i can download 2gb's per night (i have got 3 gb's but thats very rare), i dont know the technical issue's but i have a HUAWEI modem - SmartAX MT841 on a BSNL 500 plan!!!!:hap2: :hap2: :hap2:

Switch

Skilled
Jan 13, 2005
Well... I never took the risk... But will do if you guys insist... Though trust me my one night downloads are close to 4GB alone(Last month i clocked about 100GB+ of free downloads). So if i leave it on for even one night i will overshoot my limit by almost 1.5GB which would be a shame. Although its never harmful to take precautions. You gotta loose nothing :).

@Free radical... If it can be done via PPPoE mode why use bridged. Also bridged mode is a pain when you got multiple machines to work with. Most of the times i work on my lappy. I just switch on the desktop when i need to watch a movie or download something or game. All my office work and browsing is done through my PC. Also I have added your suggestion in the main post itself just to make it easier for members using bridged mode. Only if somebody can now post rebooting the modem via router itself :D

P.S. I am not trying to defend myself. It just doesn't make sense to take the risk when so many people have suffered earlier. It takes minutes of effort to do this and crappy or not there is no way BSNL Software will charge you.

Anish

Skilled
May 9, 2005
Goa, India.
www.anishsood.com
Nice work Switch, but BSNL screwed up my billing even after I used to set disconnect at 2:15AM. Morons kept billing me till 2:20AM so effectively 20mins was added to every session. My case is pending with them, lets pray they clear it and credit the amount.

In the meantime, UL1350 ftw! :eek:hyeah:

GameNome

Adept
Jan 25, 2008
Mumbai
I've been using Bridge mode + rasdial +
11icpl5.jpg

I've never been charged extra.Works like a charm on MTNL 2 mbps NU

Jul 3, 2006
bah...i reconnect automatically after each of my download finishes :p.

Just compile a reconnector using the batch script examples i have shown and use your download manager's antivirus scan utility to reconnect or do whatever you want it to do after each download eg. move files with certain file extensions to certain folders, perform rename operations etc., reconnect after power supply failure etc,

I do this using AHK scripts. Lazy me.

GameNome

Adept
Jan 25, 2008
Mumbai
..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
bah...i reconnect automatically after each of my download finishes :p.

Not possible using torrents,isn't it?

PS...Anybody knows how i can start my PC automatically at a pre-defined time?:)

Switch

Skilled
Jan 13, 2005
You hook up a manual alarm clock to the power button of PC with 2:00 AM alarm set on it... If the bell wont start the PC it will surely wake you up... So in anycase your PC will be up...

Party Monger

Skilled
Jul 15, 2007
THe problem with home500 plan is that even the prospect of dealing with bsnl guys is scary..Had enough of their bs during the 9monts of waiting..

Still nice effort switch..This will help not only bsnl user but others also...

kunaldhami

Disciple
Apr 27, 2006
I am using BSNL H500 plan.I tried this method but could not do it.
Modem : Huawei quidway WA1003A

I made the batch file as said.
When I run the file it shows this

after clicking on YES it shows this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What may be the problem??
Please help me.
Thanks in advance