The myths surrounding HDMI

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Hi,

After recieving a Rs. 200 off discount coupon from ebay i wondered what to buy.... member Mohit Preet suggested buying a HDMI cable avl for Rs. 220 shipped from a delhi dealer. I bought it thinking to get rid of DVI (as DVI cable needs to be screwed in both in the LCD and the graphics card). As many have stated previously and on paper DVI and HDMI same same bandwidth blah blah so i was not expecting any IQ improvement... just the ease of connecting the cable like a USB one (no screwing etc). To my surprise there is a noticable improvement in IQ ....... to the extent that i had to change video settings from "VIVID to "STANDARD" in ATI CCC! (The colours were too vibrant watching a 700mb divx movie 2 feet from the LCD). Although the catch in my case is that i have ATI HD3450 gpu with inbuilt HDMI port and obviously there is a HDMI port in the LCD so prolly that made the difference because people have tried HDMI using DVI to HDMI adaptors and didnot notice any improvement! Whatever the case is i am not switching to DVI ever! Wanted to share this hence this thread. Cable cost : Rs. 20, a
fter 200 off.... build quality is good i'd say. Members who have in-built HDMI ports on mobos/graphics card along with the LCD MUST buy this cable for Rs. 220. Ebay listing says 34 sold already!
Everything looks much superior, folder icons look much better, red blue looks superior specially yellow, movies look more vibrant!

Pics of the cable. Not bad for Rs. 220 imo. Rs. 20 with a Rs. 200 off cpn.

dsc02394m.jpg

dsc02395s.jpg

Cheers!

This weekend i will connect it with a DVI to HDMI adaptor and see any changes 'coz not all gpus have HDMI built in, ppl will use HDMI to DVI adaptors mostly... the diff might not be much with an adaptor.

RadioHeAd said:
hhmmm... gotta try this one out.;)

You mean the DVI input and HDMI input has a noticeable difference in the PQ? :S

And how is it a myth? This title sure is misleading.

Nice one... Now I just need to get the LCD TV with HDMI and try this one out. :)

@OP: Please don't use font colors, you used black and it's hardly readable with nocturnal theme. :(

Lol got excited while posting, editted. Myth = HDMI DVI are same, my experience HDMI has better not really accurate colour but better looking overall IQ. :ashamed:
Gannu said:
You mean the DVI input and HDMI input has a noticeable difference in the PQ? :S

And how is it a myth? This title sure is misleading.

Will keep that in mind :)
iGo said:
Nice one... Now I just need to get the LCD TV with HDMI and try this one out. :)

@OP: Please don't use font colors, you used black and it's hardly readable with nocturnal theme. :(

@OP:

Now you got me thinking....even I want to try HDMI input to my S2409W. Have you tried it via the HDMI adapter on the back of the GPU - DVI node..?

Reading your first post, am surprised, there is such a drastic improvement in quality when using HDMI..!

I would still accentuate the fact that its more of a psychological change. DVI = HDMI when we talk about the video content. Either the initial settings with DVI were different or your DVI cable was not fine.

I can show you at my place that difference between DVI and HDMI is 0%.

Well ya, i too haven't seen much of a difference, or any for that matter between hdmi and dvi. I am not denying ur claim in iq quality, but maybe it had something to do with the cables used..

Anyways, no, i have never seen an iq difference...

I was lil confused ... many people buy LCD saying its better as it has HDMI n DVI isnt good ... falling may be not in same confusion ....

but dont know reason for this preference...

ok can anybody tell me will there be any change in picture quality of the movies when i switch from my cureent VGA to HDMI ..

i m using only VGA cable as of now,

will there be significant change in image quality from analog to digital format or is it just for the sake of using a HDMI cable..

MohitPreet said:
ok can anybody tell me will there be any change in picture quality of the movies when i switch from my cureent VGA to HDMI ..

i m using only VGA cable as of now,
will there be significant change in image quality from analog to digital format or is it just for the sake of using a HDMI cable..

there is significant difference in IQ between VGA and HDMI. HDMI and DVI both have same IQ.

Back