The iPad Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
List the top 5 games you are currently playing/have played on the Ipad 2. Here's mine:

Kingdom Rush
Score Football
Plants vs Zombies
Fieldrunners HD
Monopoly HD

Any other games guys?

Since this is an iPad thread, i am not creating any new thread. I have few doubts.

1. Can 720p videos be played on iPad 1 ? If yes which app ? Right now i m having VLC Player on my iPod Touch 4G 32GB but its too weak.
2. How comfortable editing Office files (Word and Excel, power point if we could :p) is on iPad 1 ? If yes which app ? Also for that purpose can we have external/wireless Keyboard and mouse ?

My basic requirement are MBA course thing i.e. Browsing Web (with 5-6 tabs open) and simultaneously working with Office docs. HD Videos, Music and Games are already taken for granted.

I play 720p videos on my iPad using Buzz Player! It plays well, but never tried high profile/mkv

I have mkv files with video resolution of 1280*(500+)

Also is it as follows ? Video Playback capacity of iPad 1 = iPod Touch 4G

Since this is an iPad thread, i am not creating any new thread. I have few doubts.

1. Can 720p videos be played on iPad 1 ? If yes which app ? Right now i m having VLC Player on my iPod Touch 4G 32GB but its too weak.
2. How comfortable editing Office files (Word and Excel, power point if we could :p) is on iPad 1 ? If yes which app ? Also for that purpose can we have external/wireless Keyboard and mouse ?

My basic requirement are MBA course thing i.e. Browsing Web (with 5-6 tabs open) and simultaneously working with Office docs. HD Videos, Music and Games are already taken for granted.

1.Yes, you can play with various apps like avplayerhd, buzz.
2. You can do all the office with iWork's apps like excel with numbers, PowerPoint with keynote, words with pages and database with handbase or filezella or the Celia.
There's a lot of other alternatives too.
If you want, would post.

As for the keyboard, your works as you mentioned would be easy if you have a physical keyboard.

I have few questions related to iPad 2.

Should I go for smart cover or any case? I use iPad mostly and home and won't take it outside. Any recommendations ?

One more question, is this smart cover genuine ? I mean how is he selling it at such a low price?
ORIGINAL APPLE IPAD 2 IPAD2 SMART COVER STAND CASE "AUTO SLEEP & WAKE UP SENSOR" | eBay

I suggest you to get the new iPad smart cover which covers both the sides. for me I use the smart cover for front and switcheasy case at the back.

As for the link, the guy is a power seller and the pics shown are polyurethane whereas he mentioned in description as leather smart cover. It's best you contact thru email before getting this.

Don't get your point?
And it plays well.

Thanks gREan for your prompt replies. There are few more noob questions.

iWorks format will be compatible with MS office and vice versa ?

I meant I have a iPod Touch 4th Gen. If video playing capability of iPad 1 = iPod Touch 4th Gen (both having same hardware except iPad Proccy being 200MHz faster) then I could test them personally on my iPod only. ;-)

Thanks gREan for your prompt replies. There are few more noob questions.

iWorks format will be compatible with MS office and vice versa ?

I meant I have a iPod Touch 4th Gen. If video playing capability of iPad 1 = iPod Touch 4th Gen (both having same hardware except iPad Proccy being 200MHz faster) then I could test them personally on my iPod only. ;-)

There's a lot of options like you can send thru email or the iTunes or the iDisk and you can select the format as per your Needs. For example, you can send the numbers by PDF or the number format for Mac and excel for ms excel.

As for the video playback, you can find the difference while playing higher bit rate. Remember the underclocked itouch doesnt comes close to iPad.

There's a lot of options like you can send thru email or the iTunes or the iDisk and you can select the format as per your Needs. For example, you can send the numbers by PDF or the number format for Mac and excel for ms excel.

As for the video playback, you can find the difference while playing higher bit rate. Remember the underclocked itouch doesnt comes close to iPad.

Thanks a lot for your inputs. Atleast i m sure now about 720p video playback capability of iPad. I m still looking to get my needs consolidated to very narrower horizon and will make a decision.

720p mkv files? I've tried a couple of those and it used to stutter at best! iPad 2 with the VLC player in this case.

Use avplayerhd as I'm using it. It plays very well, using iPad 2. Vlc is not supported as it was banned two years back on AppStore.

Ps. Whats the bitrate of the mkv rip.

I think the bit-rate could be the catch here. But it wasn't very high since the movie encoded with AC3 soundtrack occupied some 4GB odd space.

Haven't tried AV Player - might do it sometime and shall post back.

I think the bit-rate could be the catch here. But it wasn't very high since the movie encoded with AC3 soundtrack occupied some 4GB odd space.

Haven't tried AV Player - might do it sometime and shall post back.

Yea It will. I played 720p rip without any lag. Try some 2gig rip and see the difference.
And for the vlc, the app is almost outdated so no further improvement.

Hey guys, iPad noob here. So iPad can play mkv format? What all formats are supported? How do you copy these files to iPad? Thru iTunes? The files need to be converted before sending to iPad? If so, what software are you guys using? I really liked the iPad screen (it's just awesome and there is nothing else out there better than this screen) but I'm worried about the restrictions of Apple.

If you are using iPad 3 then there is no problem running MKV format, But if you have iPad 2 or iPad 1, then this is a few link for running mkv format without using video converter.
...l
Thanks for the detailed reply buddy. I'll be buying the new iPad only i.e. iPad 3. So in this case I can just directly add the video files to the library and play? Is there any size restriction for these files?
Also what about reading pdf's in iPad 3? Is it a native support or I'll have to install some converters to convert these files to epub format?
Also, when I checked at Croma last week, the price was 36.5k for 32GB WiFi. I couldn't find any better price in ebay too. So I guess this would be the best price? HomeShop18 has some kind of 2000Rs discount coupon but I'm not sure how it works.
Regards,

Thanks for the detailed reply buddy. I'll be buying the new iPad only i.e. iPad 3. So in this case I can just directly add the video files to the library and play? Is there any size restriction for these files?
Also what about reading pdf's in iPad 3? Is it a native support or I'll have to install some converters to convert these files to epub format?
Also, when I checked at Croma last week, the price was 36.5k for 32GB WiFi. I couldn't find any better price in ebay too. So I guess this would be the best price? HomeShop18 has some kind of 2000Rs discount coupon but I'm not sure how it works.
Regards,

The best bet is buy some players like avplayerhd or the buzz, as these are capable of playing any format audio/video. No need of converting it as its time consuming process. It too supports subtitles, if you watch with it.

As far the PDF, use the iBooks. It supports PDF as well as ePub for electronic book. And more importantly it's free.
If you are keen on buying books, the kindle is the best bet as the books costs low compared to other sources as well it's supported on various platform ie once you buy the books you can read on iPad/iPhone/android and pc I think.

The best bet is buy some players like avplayerhd or the buzz, as these are capable of playing any format audio/video. No need of converting it as its time consuming process. It too supports subtitles, if you watch with it.
Cool, will do that once I get my hand on it. BTW, what about the size restriction, is there any? Say, if I want to upload a file of size more than 4GB then is it possible?

As far the PDF, use the iBooks. It supports PDF as well as ePub for electronic book. And more importantly it's free.
If you are keen on buying books, the kindle is the best bet as the books costs low compared to other sources as well it's supported on various platform ie once you buy the books you can read on iPad/iPhone/android and pc I think.
Thanks.
BTW, about Kindle, have you guys used Kindle to purchase books from Amazon? What is the procedure to purchase books for Kindle?
And are most of the apps paid apps for iPad? Or there are great free apps too like in Android?
Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back