The HTC Desire HD thread

Dhrubo

Disciple
I finally got my desire HD and I must say I am mightily impressed so far. This might be because this is my first smartphone. I was using a N72 for the last 3-4 yrs. The initial impressions -
THE GOOD -
1. The UI is very snappy. You won't see lag and juddering here.
2. Social network integration with Sense is great. Linking the contacts was a breeze with the suggestions.
3. Small things like importing contacts and calendars from your previous phone with a few clicks was great.
4. Premium build quality.
5. Decent snapper with the dual LEDs doubling up as a flashlight.
6. Fast boot - It is a great feature to flaunt. I left one of my colleague wide-eyed with the boot time.
THE BAD -
1. Battery life. I am yet to get a full day although I must admit I have been using it rather heavily.
2. The screen - Only when you place the super amoled goodness of the galaxy s beside this. I happened to compare the screens playing the same video and I must admit the video was much sharper with better contrast on the SAMOLED. In general the SAMOLED has a warmer color tone whereas the HTC has a cooler (read bluish) laid back color tone.
3. The speaker is awful at best. Not expected from a premium phone.

But I must say the goods outweigh the bad so far. Also I happened to demo the Dell Venue before this purchase. I played around with it for some 30 mins and I must say the UI is nowhere as slick as compared to HTCs offering. The animations left much to be desired and gave a feeling of juddering. Though the screen was again better in the dell venue. Build quality of the dell was very solid but I still prefer the HTCs to it.

The only annoying problem I have faced so far is with the speakers. It tends to go very low after using the headphone. It took me a reboot into safe mode to fix this. For booting in safe mode follow these steps - Soft reset by removing the battery, power on and press and hold the menu, when the htc logo appears hold the volume down button.

Other users please share any tips you want to share and suggestions for useful apps are most welcome.

MODS- I searched the forum but could not find any specific desire HD threads like the ones we have got for others. Please merge this in case there are any.

I did not get the boot into safe mode thing.Now it is time to head over to xda and get rid of the bloated stock rom.Sense u.i is nice for a few days but it can get boring.

congrats mate..welcome to the club...what were the damages btw? by ne chance r u able to see the touch matrix grid appear as dust particles on a white background??

devvfata1ity said:
congrats mate..welcome to the club...what were the damages btw? by ne chance r u able to see the touch matrix grid appear as dust particles on a white background??
Thanks mate. Cell phones are a tad expensive in WB owing to the higher octroi charges I guess. I got it for 26.9k
I am not particularly known for my eagle eye :bleh: but I do not seem to get the problem you are facing. BTW, mine is made in China.

@red dragon-did you manage to root your device?

hmm if u tilt the phone & look carefully u might see what i mean...btw u have to luk at it close tho....i got d ph for 25.7k...mine's made in taiwan

Dhrubo said:
I finally got my desire HD and I must say I am mightily impressed so far. This might be because this is my first smartphone. I was using a N72 for the last 3-4 yrs. The initial impressions -

THE GOOD -

1. The UI is very snappy. You won't see lag and juddering here.

2. Social network integration with Sense is great. Linking the contacts was a breeze with the suggestions.

3. Small things like importing contacts and calendars from your previous phone with a few clicks was great.

4. Premium build quality.

5. Decent snapper with the dual LEDs doubling up as a flashlight.

6. Fast boot - It is a great feature to flaunt. I left one of my colleague wide-eyed with the boot time.

THE BAD -

1. Battery life. I am yet to get a full day although I must admit I have been using it rather heavily.

2. The screen - Only when you place the super amoled goodness of the galaxy s beside this. I happened to compare the screens playing the same video and I must admit the video was much sharper with better contrast on the SAMOLED. In general the SAMOLED has a warmer color tone whereas the HTC has a cooler (read bluish) laid back color tone.

3. The speaker is awful at best. Not expected from a premium phone.

But I must say the goods outweigh the bad so far. Also I happened to demo the Dell Venue before this purchase. I played around with it for some 30 mins and I must say the UI is nowhere as slick as compared to HTCs offering. The animations left much to be desired and gave a feeling of juddering. Though the screen was again better in the dell venue. Build quality of the dell was very solid but I still prefer the HTCs to it.

The only annoying problem I have faced so far is with the speakers. It tends to go very low after using the headphone. It took me a reboot into safe mode to fix this. For booting in safe mode follow these steps - Soft reset by removing the battery, power on and press and hold the menu, when the htc logo appears hold the volume down button.

Other users please share any tips you want to share and suggestions for useful apps are most welcome.

MODS- I searched the forum but could not find any specific desire HD threads like the ones we have got for others. Please merge this in case there are any.

Use Juice Defender with Ultimate Juice to increase the battery life.

Moreover go to Internet---> Setting and under Enable Plug Ins change from Always On to On Demand. It will stop Flash and some other battery hoggers...

Let me know if it does improve the battery Life

^ these are the first two things I did :). Also enabled USB debugging. Followed the charge discharge cycle for the first three charges. Yesterday with normal usage (rather on the lower side) I was still left with around 60%. Then i watched some youtube videos and played angry birds for about an hour. Reduced to arnd 33%. This is so far the best I have got. Lets see how it turns out today.
BTW any camera tweaks? The low light photography is not up to the mark with plenty of noise.

The sensor size in Phone cameras is not very big so low light photos will attract Noise. Also try to use a good task killer which i know you would be using.

My Captivate goes for around 2 days and Playing angry birds for an hour lowers the battery about 7%. There is another tool called startup Auditor. Use it to see what is starting by default and disable everything thats not needed.Get a good ROM from XDA and the battery life will substantially increase.. Thats the best way....

Guys, does anyone know how to stop the data usage pop ups. When using EDGE the data usage pop up (0.04 MB used. Remaining balance 1900 mb...etc.) is too frequent for my liking. The problem is unless you close all those pop ups you cannot receive a call. Duh! It's not a huge problem but it does definitely irritate me. I guess this is a problem with android in general. Any solution to this?

I think it is the service provider rather than the android causing this.I get all sorts of pop ups with bsnl,nothing with reliance.

But shouldn't there be some way to block it. I remember my Nokia used to have an option of displaying call info. Only if it was enabled you would receive the service notification. I was thinking of a similar approach. Or else at least when a call comes the answering key should be in the foreground and the pop ups in the background.

Back