'The HMT watches I own' thread

Got this last week.,..very simple and elegant..wish it was made in 40 mm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    965.9 KB · Views: 476
Received Inox the dial was smaller than expected I was thinking it was a huge thankfully it fits perfectly in my hand

what is special with INOX? does the "movement"/mechanicals original HMT ones or Chinese import? //n00b question

from the above forum(WUS), it seems interest is based on the fact that the movements are Citizen OEM and the models are "brand new 1960s watches"

what is special with INOX? does the "movement"/mechanicals original HMT ones or Chinese import? //n00b question

from the above forum(WUS), it seems interest is based on the fact that the movements are Citizen OEM and the models are "brand new 1960s watches"

HMT has started to 'use' movements from Miyota (Citizen) for some of their models. They are made in-house here, but the basic design is Citizens. The Pilot hosts the in-house native movement though.

According to HMT Branch Manager, Chennai, Their quartz models are with Japanese Movements (not Chinese cheapos)

True, I doubt they use movements sourced from China. They had a knowledge transfer from Miyota and that is what they use. The HMT 0231 ca. is actually the Miyota 0201 ca,; which we got as a license ~48-50 years ago. That is why the old HMT models are revered. In-house movement, with all parts made in India. Both movements are work horses, like the Seiko 7s26 ca. or ETA 2824 ca. The INOX would probably host the GL30 ca. engine. It is again Citizen - Miyota

Just a noob doubt. I have a HMT Janata and the HMT Pilot from the GO from TE. When everything is quiet i.e. at night or early morning.. I can clearly hear the mechanics of the watch ticking. Why is the mechanism so loud ?

Just a noob doubt. I have a HMT Janata and the HMT Pilot from the GO from TE. When everything is quiet i.e. at night or early morning.. I can clearly hear the mechanics of the watch ticking. Why is the mechanism so loud ?
Same here. Pretty loud. can hear the tick tick from about 15 cms

That is totally normal. It is a 100% mechanically geared device. What you hear ticking, is the balance wheel oscillating back and forth to keep the accuracy, and control the power throughput to the gear train.

Basically this:
Escape02_zps67f8f280.gif~original

If the watch was a auto-winding or Kinetic you would have heard the rotor too....!

See the below diagram and how power is delivered to the chain. The left pinion is bound to the gear train which is drawing power from the barrel main-spring. The mainspring teeth barrel (first wheel) drives the center wheel or the second wheel. This turns once an hour (hour hand). This is bound to the third wheel, and the third wheel subsequently to the fourth. The "second" wheel via a cannon-pinion friction system drives the minute hand too. And the fourth wheel pushes the "seconds" hand. The fourth wheel is bound to the escapement which controls the beat and how fast the watch will unwind, using the balance spring as the oscillator.

geartrainBF75size_zpsb08d19c4.jpg~original

When you wind your HMT the crown wheel is rotated, which spins the ratchet and tightens the mainspring. The main spring cannot unwind since it is held back by the "click". Amazing....! Love it.

@asingh , Well explained (it will educate those who do not know about mechanical watches)
if possible move the Questions, Answers and FAQ kind of Posts regarding the Mechanical watches to a New thread (from this thread and the GO thread). It will be very useful for those seeking to find answers in one thread (instead of fishing for answers into these threads). Something like "Mechanical/automatic watches discussion thread"

@asingh , Well explained (it will educate those who do not know about mechanical watches)
if possible move the Questions, Answers and FAQ kind of Posts regarding the Mechanical watches to a New thread (from this thread and the GO thread). It will be very useful for those seeking to find answers in one thread (instead of fishing for answers into these threads). Something like "Mechanical/automatic watches discussion thread"

I cannot move threads in this section. I MOD for CPU/Overclock and Motherboards, and P2P. Maybe we can start a horology section here. I will talk about this in the staff section. Great idea, though....!

Back