The Fitness Thread !

1. Start tracking how much you are eating using an app like myfitnesspal
2. Determine your TDEE using any of the calculators online/in MFP
3. Eat at a deficit to your TDEE. Don't starve or try to hit a 1000 cal deficit on day 1. Ease into it.
4. Add cardio (running/cycling/elliptical etc) once you regularly start tracking your calories so that your calorie deficit will increase. Again do not try to run a 10k on day one, ease into your target workout
5. once you start to see real progress add in a basic strength routine to build a base of strength while still losing weight.

Cutting down on food + Cardio has helped me lose ~23kgs in a year, I just recently added a strength routine, so that i have a base of strength when I hit my target weight and then I will begin to bulk

1. You can't out-exercise a bad diet
2. It is going to take time, possibly a lot of time
3. "Cheat days" have to be rare else you will screw up your progress. same thing with skipping workouts, although you should keep one day of the week for complete rest
4. You can't have targeted weight loss i.e. stomach and chest fat, you will lose weight and fat overall and the stomach and thigh fat is the last area to go.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I read the thread but I am still confused how to begin and progress to lose weight .
I am 5 11 and 90 kgs. have quite a bit of stomach and chest fat. Need to get rid of both.

I am in office for about 10 hours from 9.30 to 7.30. I would like to gym in the morning. Please suggest best workouts and what to eat when.

hi techygeek,

You need to start with some cardio ( 20 mins) + stretching ( start from neck to shoulders to arms to waist to back to legs to ankle). Keep this a MUST in everyday workout. Along with this do a routine of abdomen exercises and light weight circuit training. Follow this for 2-3 months. And all this while. Eat right! DO NOT STARVE. If your purpose is to lose weight and be fit then do not starve and make yourself weak. Eat right. By that it means eat whatever you want by leaving oil, fatty stuff, maida, rice out. Eat as much fibre as you can. Lots of wheat and fruits and milk. I am sure if you just focus and be honest to your routine you can see results in the first month itself.

I am in a fitness regime right now and here's the progress. I am 6'2"
Feb 2014
Weight : 96 KG
Body Fat : 28%

March 2014
Weight : 93.1 kg
Body Fat : 27 %

April 2014 ( started high protein diet)
Weight : 93.4 kg
Body Fat: 22% ( Lost 3 kg fat mass and gained 3 kg muscle mass)

I target a body fat percentage of 15% by end of this year. I do not follow BMI. I calculate my fitness with how long I can survive in a football match as the forward striker or how far I can bike ( cycle) on a sunday morning.

Had to push a punctured Bullet for 5kms yesterday. It was the best upper body workout I had in years. I could feel the pump in my muscles till today morning.
Does anyone follow these alternative training methods rather than going to the gym.

that sounds like a pretty solid workout for your arms, back and legs. There is quite a few off-gym excercises to do. And they are surprisingly effective. I do spider crawls every morning before work. They are a pretty neat abdominal exercise. All you need is a bit of floor space. Divide your groceries into two equally weighted bags and carry them in both hands and walk up a few flight of stairs. They work on the glutes and hams big time. Or tiptoe around the house for working on the calves. Or pick anything from the floor without bending your knees to stretch your hamstrings. I can just keep talking :)

Had to push a punctured Bullet for 5kms yesterday. It was the best upper body workout I had in years. I could feel the pump in my muscles till today morning.
Does anyone follow these alternative training methods rather than going to the gym.

Bro thats cardio - if you wanted some serious gainz you should have power cleaned the bike and then

Pushing = cardio and we all know cardio kills gainz. If it was me I would have power cleaned it and racked it on my delts and then walked to the tyrewallah.

:p

that sounds like a pretty solid workout for your arms, back and legs. There is quite a few off-gym excercises to do. And they are surprisingly effective. I do spider crawls every morning before work. They are a pretty neat abdominal exercise. All you need is a bit of floor space. Divide your groceries into two equally weighted bags and carry them in both hands and walk up a few flight of stairs. They work on the glutes and hams big time. Or tiptoe around the house for working on the calves. Or pick anything from the floor without bending your knees to stretch your hamstrings. I can just keep talking :)
I think you are talking about farmer's walk. They are finishers. Likewise one can put the car in neutral and try pushing it. Push a sled. Things like that. Jason feruggia talks a lot of these things.

Bro thats cardio - if you wanted some serious gainz you should have power cleaned the bike and then

Pushing = cardio and we all know cardio kills gainz. If it was me I would have power cleaned it and racked it on my delts and then walked to the tyrewallah.

:p
Its conditioning. Conditioning would slow gains in the beginning, but it works out all well in the end. It's no use if one can squat 200kgs but starts huffing and puffing, trying to climb a flight of stairs.

I think you are talking about farmer's walk. They are finishers. Likewise one can put the car in neutral and try pushing it. Push a sled. Things like that. Jason feruggia talks a lot of these things.

Nah. What I was talking about was doing the exact same thing what spiderman does to crawl up on walls but on floor. It works on the core really well if done properly. And yes I totally agree with you about the folks who can squat a ton but lose breath climbing stairs. I exercise to be fit and then when I feel fit enough I'd do strength training. I have just started working out after 2 years after recovering from few broken ribs ( from a bike crash). It took me 4 months to find the rythm. But now I feel I am on track.

Bro

do you even lift?

:D :D :D I've been dying to use that line :D :D :D
Yeah I do lift, but my bodyweight. :D
I belong to the Bodyweight Exercise fan club. :D Frank Medrano, Bar Starrzz, etc..:p
And I dont break a sweat climbing 6 floors every day, but my Gym buddies who lift weights do huff and puff when they climb. :D
That's probably because I use stair climbing as my conditioning exercise.

But people who have been lifting for more than 20 years, like Jason Feruggia advise this. I don't think anyone here is more experienced than them.
http://jasonferruggia.com/conditioning-just-make-it-a-damn-habit-already/

It is just a personal opinions, different schools of thoughts.

Last edited:
Yeah I do lift, but my bodyweight. :D
I belong to the Bodyweight Exercise fan club. :D Frank Medrano, Bar Starrzz, etc..:p
And I dont break a sweat climbing 6 floors every day, but my Gym buddies who lift weights do huff and puff when they climb. :D
That's probably because I use stair climbing as my conditioning exercise.

But people who have been lifting for more than 20 years, like Jason Feruggia advise this. I don't think anyone here is more experienced than them.
http://jasonferruggia.com/conditioning-just-make-it-a-damn-habit-already/

It is just a personal opinions, different schools of thoughts.

I was just messing with you dude :), I am myself on a high cardio low weight/high rep routine and my lifts are still increasing, albeit with at a much slower rate than if I had done only strength.

do you even lift?

well, no one gets it right! :p and i don't think there's any appropriate comeback for it. :D

anyways...
@pradeep200417 i am just trying to understand this concept better and not questioning your knowledge... i used to lift quite heavy but did zero cardio. after the gym, which was next to my office, i'd climb 10 floors without a break and sometimes, 14. i never did more than 8 reps for any exercise (except for calves and wrists). while climbing those stairs, i used to think why i was becoming a marathoner when i was training to be a power lifter? i haven't figured out this mystery. :confused:

well, no one gets it right! :p and i don't think there's any appropriate comeback for it. :D

anyways...
@pradeep200417 i am just trying to understand this concept better and not questioning your knowledge... i used to lift quite heavy but did zero cardio. after the gym, which was next to my office, i'd climb 10 floors without a break and sometimes, 14. i never did more than 8 reps for any exercise (except for calves and wrists). while climbing those stairs, i used to think why i was becoming a marathoner when i was training to be a power lifter? i haven't figured out this mystery. :confused:
No idea. :p
I am no expert and my knowledge is limited.
Even I am lost. Were you very heavy?
Kind of those lifters who can lift a lot but are flabby.
Had read one article by mehdi. he said anyone doing those compound exercises like 3X8 or 5X5, would be able to run 3-5 mile with ease.

I feel the people who lift and lack the endurance are the ones who are very flabby or something.
My friends lift but couldnt climb.

Last edited:
How many times a week should one train calves?
I do calf raises twice a week at the moment. Kind of hard to get those muscles going :(
Also, how do i measure body fat?
I was 75 kg last may when I started (quite skinny), reached 90 kgs in december last year (no dirty bulking) and since december I've remained at 90 kgs till now. However in these 5 months, my weight has remained constant but my muscle mass has increased. Thinking of measuring my body fat now (havent measured till now).
I'm 6'2. I feel 90 kg is the sweet spot for me somehow..

How many times a week should one train calves?
I do calf raises twice a week at the moment. Kind of hard to get those muscles going :(
Also, how do i measure body fat?
I was 75 kg last may when I started (quite skinny), reached 90 kgs in december last year (no dirty bulking) and since december I've remained at 90 kgs till now. However in these 5 months, my weight has remained constant but my muscle mass has increased. Thinking of measuring my body fat now (havent measured till now).
I'm 6'2. I feel 90 kg is the sweet spot for me somehow..
Thats the best combo, same weight gaining muscle. If what ever you are doing is giving you this result when you are just about healthy, dont change it for anything.

If you are doing squats, that is basically taking care of those muscles. Hitting Squats hard once a week is better then all these isolation exercises together.

Thats the best combo, same weight gaining muscle. If what ever you are doing is giving you this result when you are just about healthy, dont change it for anything.

If you are doing squats, that is basically taking care of those muscles. Hitting Squats hard once a week is better then all these isolation exercises together.

Yeah, I hit squats heavy once a week. Lets see, hopefully calves will grow more soon with time.
I was pretty disappointed initially when i noticed that i wasn't increasing in weight (after few months of steady increase). But then I realised I was gaining muscle mass at the same time. Thankfully, my waist size is still the same as it was when i initially started working out, capped at 32 inches. :)

Whats the best and convenient way to measure body fat though?

Back