The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

Look at my plight, something or the other happens whenever i am 2-3-4 months into training. due to this hoopla my stats are more or less the same since sep 2010 hence i am basically exactly where i was back in sep/oct last yer with a bit of muscle memory to help me when i start working out next time.

Quick question : How much calcium do you guys take?

I consume about 6l of milk a week and get a negligible bit from greens.

So...After a couple of months with p90x weight training i felt i had plateaued, so have now started with stronglifts 5x5

Am on my 2nd week with squats=110, bp and rows=100, overhead press=60 and deadlift=100 pounds right now

No idea how far I can increase the numbers so taking it slowly

The gym has a 3d-powerrack (startrac), no simple rack so am stuck with a balanced barbell for squats and bench press

Atleast the barbell can more up/down/front/back freely

Planning to add 2 cardio days between the weight days

Read and watched 'starting strength' for basics on posture/technique since the gym trainers dont have much of an idea...they didnt know what a low back squat was :s

Wt loss till date=17kgs in 17 months, bought my first size 32 jeans last week :p

P90X is to increase speed and power but as they say sometimes will power overcomes logic :) Great work on the fat loss. U need tons of patience with 5x5. Its not easy, its not meant to be easy thatswhy it is so effective. If needed keep load increases to as low as .5kg (total) on the ohp its worth it. Good luck.

nukeu666 said:
So...After a couple of months with p90x weight training i felt i had plateaued, so have now started with stronglifts 5x5

Am on my 2nd week with squats=110, bp and rows=100, overhead press=60 and deadlift=100 pounds right now

No idea how far I can increase the numbers so taking it slowly

The gym has a 3d-powerrack (startrac), no simple rack so am stuck with a balanced barbell for squats and bench press

Atleast the barbell can more up/down/front/back freely

Planning to add 2 cardio days between the weight days

Read and watched 'starting strength' for basics on posture/technique since the gym trainers dont have much of an idea...they didnt know what a low back squat was :s

Wt loss till date=17kgs in 17 months, bought my first size 32 jeans last week :p

I increase 5 pounds a day and 10 for dead lifts as is recommended...

Initially had problems because of shoulder inflexibility.... That is slowly getting better

P90 helped to wake up all the muscles in the body and built basic strength so I can start stronglifts

Ok ever since I had a shoulder injury (minor fracture acc to xray) I am unable to do exercise well. Can't even do push ups well its been around 2 months I have done proper exercise.

As a result I lost all the muscle weight I had and has gained a few extra pounds. The shoulder though doesn't pain in general started to pain when I do some stretching exercise and lifting weight.

What should I do. Plus due to improper push ups right hand/shoulders are more muscular than left. What should I do please suggest ?

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs - NeoGAF

Awesome info there including recommended beginners workout (similar to Starting Strength, for those who want some other variety with similar results). I'm following it seriously since a month now (but replaced power cleans with Rows) modified (I've added pullups and dips as a warmup after 10mins cardio :p). Getting your form right with deadlifts was a ****. Went through weeks of lower back pain, every other time I recognized I was doing something wrong. But its worth it once you finally get the form down. There is no feeling like going from lower back pain to doing deadlifts and squats properly which then strengthens the hell out of your lower back along with the rest of the body pretty much.

Don't get heavy on Deadlifts or squats until you get the form down. Do them with just the bar or 10pound plates if you have to but get the form down.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Dark Star said:
Ok ever since I had a shoulder injury (minor fracture acc to xray) I am unable to do exercise well. Can't even do push ups well its been around 2 months I have done proper exercise.

As a result I lost all the muscle weight I had and has gained a few extra pounds. The shoulder though doesn't pain in general started to pain when I do some stretching exercise and lifting weight.

What should I do. Plus due to improper push ups right hand/shoulders are more muscular than left. What should I do please suggest ?

Let the shoulder heal. Chest press, pushups are kind of compound exercises that also make secondary use of deltoids (shoulders). Doesn't matter if you'll lose strength, you don't want to handicap your body. Work on healing it and taking it easy on the shoulders and then resume it'll come all back. If you still want to work on chest, go light weight, do chest press with light dumbells and keep the arms near lower chest and don't go beyond parallel.

As for imbalance in arms that's very normal, don't worry about it. IF you're really worried about it you can fix it with dumbbells but the left/right will balance out over long term.

I started the Stronglifts program 2 weeks ago, I am really thankful to Rockfella for the advice as well as inspiration. I am making good linear progress with all the exercises without failing too many times, maybe because I started really light. However it is difficult to progress on OHPs every time.

Fellow gym members and trainers are consistently ridiculing my work-out and make fun of me :eek:hyeah:. Last week when I was performing deadlifts, the fattest of my gym trainers came to me and told me to stop doing that exercise at once! In his own words-"Who told you to do this? This is a dangerous exercise, you will hurt your back and never be able to walk again". He told me that my form was wrong because I am touching the bar with ground everytime I put the weight back, and his suggestion was to keep the bar hanging in air at the lowest position and lift it again from there:tongue:. I was like-This is called "Deadlift" for a reason god-dammit :mad:

typical gymbros/trainers

My shoulder flexibility's improved so no problem keeping a low back position but hip flexors still tight and got shot today

Guess will take skip next workout day

speedyfreak said:
It happens like most of it !

I just had in the same way 92 but my height is 6.1 reduced to 80Kgs in 1 & half month severe diet only 30Gms fat & 100gms of Carb in take intake daily , all u need is to run 4-5kms daily morning in the empty stomach thats all , u need workouts when u lost your weight then u start getting fit .:clap:

Gym is not good for loosing weights .
That is the most absurd thing I have heard. Contrary to what most people might think, lifting weights actually helps a great deal in burning body fat. Infact, even if you are not too keen on doing cardio, a simple lifting routine can help you shed those extra pounds. Obviously this has to be coupled with a calorie deficit high protein diet with a little understanding of the macros intake. Many people also believe that one can start getting muscular only after shedding all the extra weight, this again is not true. Lifting weights when you are fat not only helps in burning fat but it will also help you gain muscle mass so that when you finally reach your desired weight category, you will have a good muscle base to build upon.

^Why would I bluff about it? :p Now that I have given this thread a thorough read there are many more absurd posts that I can quote but I will refrain from doing so in order to not hurt sentiments. As they say, half knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge.

You should be thankful to Mehdi Hadim for starting SLs not me lol. It is normal to stall on the OHP first. Usually this is how stalling (unable to add weight) happens: First on the ohp>bench>rows>Squats>Deadlift. For some it will differ. It is harder to progress on it simply because it uses small muscles groups: delts/tri. Please make sure you watch videos/read about technique on how to do it properly. Have u read what to do when you stall in a lift?

You are right about "dead"lifting. Your trainer is stupid but don't get cocky, read/watch videos and get the form right. Once u start squatting 60kgs+ noone will laugh at you. :)

HeadStrong said:
I started the Stronglifts program 2 weeks ago, I am really thankful to Rockfella for the advice as well as inspiration. I am making good linear progress with all the exercises without failing too many times, maybe because I started really light. However it is difficult to progress on OHPs every time.

Fellow gym members and trainers are consistently ridiculing my work-out and make fun of me :eek:hyeah:. Last week when I was performing deadlifts, the fattest of my gym trainers came to me and told me to stop doing that exercise at once! In his own words-"Who told you to do this? This is a dangerous exercise, you will hurt your back and never be able to walk again". He told me that my form was wrong because I am touching the bar with ground everytime I put the weight back, and his suggestion was to keep the bar hanging in air at the lowest position and lift it again from there:tongue:. I was like-This is called "Deadlift" for a reason god-dammit :mad:
Yep it's a fact that low intensity steady state cardio like jogging for 30 mins burns calories WHILE we do that activity but heavy weight training and HIIT keeps on burning fat post workout for like 24/48 hours. Mehdi says this process gets faster once squat goes 220 lbs+

Bluffmaster said:
That is the most absurd thing I have heard. Contrary to what most people might think, lifting weights actually helps a great deal in burning body fat. Infact, even if you are not too keen on doing cardio, a simple lifting routine can help you shed those extra pounds. Obviously this has to be coupled with a calorie deficit high protein diet with a little understanding of the macros intake. Many people also believe that one can start getting muscular only after shedding all the extra weight, this again is not true. Lifting weights when you are fat not only helps in burning fat but it will also help you gain muscle mass so that when you finally reach your desired weight category, you will have a good muscle base to build upon.

Did squats last friday. Did 90KGs. :D

Can anyone pls tell if this is correct way. I know the 5*5 rule. but sometimes i feel like doing 10rep in a single set, it just goes. These are the weights, not counting bar weight. Doing it in a Squat smith.

30Kg - 10reps

40Kg - 10reps

50Kg - 10reps

60Kg- 10reps

70Kg- 10reps

80Kg- 7or 8 reps. :S

90kg- 5 reps :S

So i am thinking of controlling my diet a bit more. Well in mysore, a pure non veg guy has very less options in weekdays. Weekeds, i eat like a pig. :S

Can anyone tell a high protien less cal diet??. I eat like 2 eggs a day during dinner. is that ok? cholesterol?. Sometimes chappattis or something else.

Back